I'm trying to use my thumb and index to play but I can't do it. I hit to hard and don't get them to hit right. Is there any good tutorials on this because ones I've seen say down with thumb and up with index. But it doesn't explain angles how to do it where to hit how to get speed and a clean sound.

Any help would be amazing I want to learn this style to go with fingerpicking and some ed sheeran style playing.

Or if there is any easier faster ways of playing with thumb or fingers can someone else explain some.
I rarely do this, but one method of bare-fingers strumming is similar to banjo "frailing" technique.

The thumb handles downstrokes on the bass notes, and the chords are addressed by downstrokes with the backs of the nails across the strings. Single notes can be picked by a single finger striking the string on a downstroke as well.
Makes for a bouncy sort of sound..... There are a number of YouTube vids up... "Frailing for guitar".
That's too complicated for what I want. I've seen some people have a fist with there hand and there thumb hanging over and they get a mix of soft sounds and some harder ones with nails. I just can't find any people explaining a eat technique at all there all complicated. I end up just hitting the Strings instead of sweeping through smoothly.

I don't like the thumb and index together technique doesn't work for me at all.
Quote by BassBen93
That's too complicated for what I want. I've seen some people have a fist with there hand and there thumb hanging over and they get a mix of soft sounds and some harder ones with nails. I just can't find any people explaining a eat technique at all there all complicated. I end up just hitting the Strings instead of sweeping through smoothly.

patience young grasshopper.... practice is the key to all that you strive for...
or as the great philosopher Yoda might say...
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Last edited by stepchildusmc at Jun 29, 2014,
Quote by BassBen93

Well Ben, you seem to be suffering from the illusion, (as are many people today), that asking questions on the internet will automatically transfer the ability to physically do the action which was the subject of the question.

You also seem to think, that rephrasing the same question, will accelerate that transference.

IT WON'T, no matter how many times, or different ways, you ask the same question.

Many guitarists undertake a strange ritual called, "practice", and after a while,they may, (or may not), be able to master the technique they're striving towards.

And I've often asked myself this question, "who do you think you are, and how much excess self esteem do you carry, that you think you can just march over to any task, and do it at a journeyman level, simply by asking a question".

This is the reason you'll never see me asking how to do "XXX" technique in these forums. Because it won't help, practice will.
I know this is probably a bit late, and I hope you've figured something out but if not, here's my two cents. My technique sometimes relies on my right hand sitting on the bridge almost palm muting (but not quite). Then I use my thumb (sometimes using a thumb pick) and index/middle/ring fingers (sometimes pinky) to fingerpick/strum. Can't really explain it. Then I also do a slapping technique where the outside/underside of my right hand slaps across all strings to get a sort of syncopated rhythm going. Practice will only help, it's not easy at first but it becomes natural after long enough. I learnt classical initially though which means I now have a weird kind of technique to everything else :p
Last edited by mind_meld at Nov 16, 2014,