I've recently decided on buying a used 5150 and peavey windsor cab, and I've heard that I should look into getting a tubescreamer if I want a tight heavy tone. Would it really add that much to the sound or should I not waste my money? Also, if I do end up getting a tubescreamer, how important is it to get a noise suppressor? Id like to think im pretty controlled with my playing, but I don't know too much about pedals and effects and such. Thanks.
It's worth getting both I think. Tubescreamers of all shapes and sizes exist. I'm sure there is one in your budget.

I only really have experience with one noise suppressor, the ISP Decimator, I bought it years ago and its been on my board since. If you're playing live a noise gate is worth every penny.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
yeah you might as well. a bad monkey is pretty cheap and will do the job.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just to throw out an opinion on the flipside, I've never owned a noise gate and I get by just fine. Obviously a lot of people get good use out of a noise gate but its not a necessity for everyone.

I do think some sorta od pedal (ts type if you want tight) is about as necessary as a pedal can be and anyone could get good use out of it.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
It might tighten up your tone. Yes get ISP decimator for a noise gate but I reccomend getting a power supply because it eats up batteries pretty quick and your clean channel will distort when it low, well at least that's what happens to me and my peavey jsx. I ran a ibanez ts808 through my jsx but it was kinda overkill through the high gain channel it would make too much feedback even when I had the amp gain on 4 and and the ts808 gain on 0. I liked the ts808 more for leads rather than for rhythm stuff. The jsx is kind of a compressed amp so I sold my ts808 as it really didn't need it. But try both out to see what you like. But I do really reccomend the ISP decimator along with a power supply!!! Buy used as it will save you some cash.
Marty Friedman+Jason Becker=Cacophony
I like the tubescreamer 'n all but, you should find a Tubescreamer clone that doesn't scoop the lows from the mix. That's the only problem I have with mine, unless that's the desired effect you want out of having a ts boost.
^ If you want to tighten things you pretty much need to cut those lows. or get something like a bad monkey where you have the option of having the bass cut or not, if you're not sure.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?