So I have a problem with my tone, I play mainly worship music (lots of hillsong) and I'm running a les Paul studio with burstbucker pros into my blues junior with a Celestion greenback in it and various pedals. I like a super transparent tone with lower drive, but the tone I'm getting is way too harsh once I get it to be that transparent. I'm thinking this is the pickups fault, as I believe they are very hot wound. Are there some pickup suggestions that would take down the harshness and make the tone more warm? Price isn't really an issue. Thanks! sorry for the long post
I would go for a Gretsch style humbucker TV Jones makes a popular one and I think there are a few other companies that make them to DiMarzio makes the Ironically named Humbucker from Hell that is more of a Gretsch style humbucker.

You could get some standard PAF vintage style pickups and install a switch to switch them to parallel so the output is a bit less. http://tvjones.com/
Seymour Duncan SH-1 set, or an SH-4 in the bridge and an SH-2 in the neck. Or the GFS Vintage 59 Nickel Classics.
Try lowering your pickup heights so they are not as close to the strings or, if you like your tone with your burstbucker pickups, try swapping the 500k volume pots to 250k volume pots which may cost about $20 (U.S.). I did this with my Peavey Wolfgang Special because the pickups were too bright/harsh for my liking. I used CTS pots and loved it and I also use a Blues Jr NOS with a vintage 30 and it pairs well.
Last edited by dlmvh5150 at Jun 28, 2014,
Quote by Dannyj12
Thanks for the suggestions! Will the Seymours sound muddy?

SD Jazz (SH-2?) are very clean and bright. I have them in two guitars, but anything listed here would be OK as a bridge pickup:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/vintage-output/

Provided it didn't have a cover.

I also like the low-output GFS Memphis Retrotrons (Gretsch style), but I don't think they are as clean as the SD-Jazz.
Nothing wrong with your PUs and they should cover Hillsong just fine. Lower pickup height or just experiment with guitar volume and tone settings. A bit less gain to the amp and you are golden. If that doesn't work, look to another problem in your signal chain. A bunch of players use stock LPs at our church and they sound great.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
My bad! I should have looked up your pickups. I agree, you don't need to change them. They aren't really hot wound. They should be able to deliver the sounds you are talking about. Sounds like maybe you're getting into excessive distortion with a treble boost in your signal chain. So many different things could contribute to that!
Would maybe trying some different drive pedals help with the harshness?
Burstbucker Pros aren't really very hot. Try turning the tone control back.

And yes - what amp and pedal are you using now?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Right now it's a blues junior with a greenback and a t rex yellow drive along with a way huge green rhinos
A lot of it could be your speaker. Greenbacks are really crispy sounding. I don't know enough about speakers to suggest an alternative but I do know that the Celestion Blue is a much smoother speaker.
On top of that, a stock bj sounds really spanky and is prone to "farting" imo, you may actually want a new amp.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Dannyj12
Would maybe trying some different drive pedals help with the harshness?

I used a TS9 running through a HRD which should be pretty comparable. I would roll off the bridge PU tone some to approximate that smooth, on the edge woman tone of Robben Ford. Guitar was usually a 335 with Duncan JB in the Bridge which is pretty hot and modern sounding when wide open. I played lead in our main worship center for 4 years. For the last 3 years I switched over to a different venue and now play acoustic coffeehouse style worship.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Quote by Cajundaddy
Nothing wrong with your PUs and they should cover Hillsong just fine. Lower pickup height or just experiment with guitar volume and tone settings. A bit less gain to the amp and you are golden. If that doesn't work, look to another problem in your signal chain. A bunch of players use stock LPs at our church and they sound great.

you said exatly what i was thinking the second i read the OP.

tone knobs and volume knobs are there for a good reason, and putting them a little farther back, and you should be golden.

could also swap out some different tone caps.

look into a zendrive. they are relatively lower gain, but they have a very sweet natural fullness that is very smooth. i use that on leads and either a timmy or a TS varient for OD.

a weber blue bell would be wonderful.

are you mic'd?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jun 29, 2014,
I'm doing some research and I'm seeing that the celebration might well be a big part of my problem
Quote by Dannyj12
Celestion haha sorry

Maybe. If it is one of those Chinese made GBs I heard they were not very smooth. I have a Celestion V-30 in my Mesa and a 12GH30 in an extension cab and they are pretty sweet though. They can be as smooth as silk or bite your head off depending on what you feed them. Both were made in the UK.

burstbuckers are pretty low output, i think.

i guess trying filtertron-type pickups or similar might help (I haven't tried them, though)

other than that, maybe a lower gain preamp tube like a 5751?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestions! I went to guitar center today and he said my tubes are probably getting old and therefore harsh. But I did pick up an electro harmonix soul food, it is apparently modeled after a Klon overdrive and it is very very warm, and transparent! I finally found a great first gain stage pedal!!
i still need to get a soul food. i already have 15 od pedals I don't need, I might as well make it 16
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i still need to get a soul food. i already have 15 od pedals I don't need, I might as well make it 16

It's definitely worth picking up, especially for under 75 bucks, blows a tubescreamer out of the water for low to mid gain stuff imo
yeah i mean i have a fair idea of how it sounds (tried a real klon ages back), just i already have several pedals which already do a similar thing. it's whether it's worth taking a chance in case it does it slightly better than what I already have.

i like a ts too for more middy/tighter stuff (as a boost).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?