Brand name might be on a sticker inside the body.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Stumped! I have a MIJ 335 copy from that era but with a set neck and it looks and plays like a Gibson. If it plays well, it's a keeper!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Almost positive it would have been made by Matsumoko by the neckplate. Who they ghost made it for is anyones guess.
Looks like it might be a Matsumoko. They can be branded a ton of different ways as well though, and apparently it was popular to have the unlabelled or to remove the branding? http://www.tdpri.com/forum/other-guitars-other-instruments/490027-what-sweet-old-guitar.html

I have a lawsuit era Gibson black beauty copy. There's a way you can date them from the neck plate, but I'm not sure if the method I used for mine is applicable to your guitar. For me the first 3 digits were J75, which apparently means it was built in October 1975 (J=10th letter of alphabet).

Can't find the source of that info at the moment, it was some obscure lawsuit era guitar website I had bookmarked on my old computer and has since been lost. You'll have to do a bit more research to find more specifics about your instrument.

The forum I linked you to has a post there directing someone to the Matsumoko forums, might be worth a look there.

Overall they tend to be pretty good guitars. Mine sounds great and looks awesome after I refurbished it.