i've been playing a strat and dinky for several years and was wanting to get a les paul. Due to the heavier weight of the les paul is it less comfortable to play for a long time? or no?

les pauls would be about 2-3 lbs heavier than the dinky that im playing, would this make a difference in comfort?

im thinking of getting a les paul tribute plus which would be around 10 lbs
Last edited by musicandthewave at Jun 28, 2014,
depends on the weight, strap, and balance really.

sitting i usually play classical style, like with a flying V.

keep it at ~9 pounds or under and you should be fine.
It's not something to really worry about. I play both (Strats and LPs). You just get used to it after awhile. I've played heavier guitars than Les Pauls. But they are comfortable to play sitting down (I play the Standard way (Right Knee)) but just be lucky it's not a double neck.

1996 Fender Tex Mex Stratocaster
1994 Ibanez Iceman ICB300 Bass
2011 Custom Gibson Les Paul
1984 Morley Power Wah
Squier P Bass
1983 Peavey Session 500
Line 6 POD 2.0.
Various BOSS Pedals
Pearl Forum Series Drums
I play both, just use a right angle cable on the Les Paul when sitting or you might get to much weight on the straight cable and kink it without realizing it because it plugs in down on the bottom where it is natural to rest it while sitting.
I think I'm one of the few who prefer heavyer guitars but I find les Paul's uncomfterble to play. It all comes down to preference go try a few out and decide for yourself if you like then.
yes Les Pauls are uncomfortable guitars. Its like driving a 70's muscle car, sure its no where near as nice on paper but there is a certain charm about it when u take it out on the weekend for an hour or so.
RG's & Mesa's
Quote by musicandthewave
i've been playing a strat and dinky for several years and was wanting to get a les paul. Due to the heavier weight of the les paul is it less comfortable to play for a long time? or no?
les pauls would be about 2-3 lbs heavier than the dinky that im playing, would this make a difference in comfort?

If I didn't already have plenty of Les Pauls already, I'd not consider buying a new one.

It's heavy. I don't mind that, but there are those who do, especially after several hours of gigging. Because it's got a thick body, the sharp edged forearm area can leave a dent. Same with its lack of a rib/tummy cut. Same with the edge on the bottom of the guitar where it meets your leg (sitting). Playing the LP can be uncomfortable, particularly if you've got large hands (mine are XXL). The necks can sometimes be too thick, frets are often not very well done, the neck heel is clunky (if you're considering upper fret playing) and honestly, the inside of the cutaway at the horn nails my hand and forces me to rotate it to get to the upper frets.

My new guitar would (will) be a semi-custom Agile AL-3200. Neck-through construction, full thickness body, tummy cut, shaved neck heel, ebony fretboard, real MOP inlays, jumbo stainless frets, stubby cutaway horn, available with 24 frets, available in a longer scale, locking tuners, graphtech bridge, graphtech nut, available with a wider (1 3/4" at the nut) OR a thinner neck (depth-wise, that is), available with a chambered upper bout (it saves half a pound or so without sacrificing sustain, etc.).
they can be heavy standing up

they're a bit back-heavy so sitting down isn't super-comfortable either. They're not as bad as a V for sitting down (I don't like classical position), but they're not the most comfortable sitting guitar, either

that being said, a good one sounds awesome
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^ Dave if you converted to classical it would work better for an LP. It also lines the guitar closer to where it hangs when standing up. Being a SUper Strat guy I can see why you'd not prefer that position though.
OP LPs can be heavy but they all aren't. Modern USA models are all over the place from over 8lbs to over 10lbs, (Norlins went even higher in weight). You'd have to have a bunch to pick from and choose the lightest.
Chambering can reduce weight to 7-8 lbs and a lot of Custom shop guitars fall in the 8 - just over 9lb range.
Since I play acoustic too I don't bitch about beveled sides and cutaways, there's nothing more edgey than an acoustic body and for more years than not beveled bodies didn't exist yet people managed.
Moving on.....
PRS's are pretty heavy. Not too sure off the top of my head but its deffo heavier than my other two guitars.

I do prefer a heavier guitar to a lighter one.
Friend of mine has a explorer that weighs as much as a 440ml can of beer (not quite but its stupidly light and i hate it)

But yeah on topic, if you have a strap that holds the LP in place (stop it from sliding off everywhere) then its pretty much the same as anything else you play i find.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
I have a LP Traditional, which is a solid body, and weighs in at just under 10 pounds. That's more than 1.5 more heavier my American Strat. The weight does get to me after a bit, but I'm 63 and have a bad back.

I think the Strat's ergonomics are superior to the LP. When I'm sitting, I find the sharp corners digging into my chest. The Strat's thin body, curved edge and cutaway eliminate that problem. It just seems more awkward for me to play sitting. There's other things about the Stratocaster that are better thought-out (selector switch position, three pickups, etc), but Fender had the advantage of designing after Les Paul.

OTOH, it has a fabulous sound. It's beautiful, too.
Quote by Monkeyleg
I have a LP Traditional, which is a solid body, and weighs in at just under 10 pounds. That's more than 1.5 more heavier my American Strat. The weight does get to me after a bit, but I'm 63 and have a bad back.

I think the Strat's ergonomics are superior to the LP. When I'm sitting, I find the sharp corners digging into my chest. The Strat's thin body, curved edge and cutaway eliminate that problem. It just seems more awkward for me to play sitting. There's other things about the Stratocaster that are better thought-out (selector switch position, three pickups, etc), but Fender had the advantage of designing after Les Paul.

OTOH, it has a fabulous sound. It's beautiful, too.

I'm the opposite. For myself, the strat is awkward to play when I'm sitting and I hate having the volume knob practically underneath the strings. A Les Paul feels good playing sitting but standing I always hit the pup selector. I'm pretty scrawny but never had problems with the weight of a lp.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by KenG

Since I play acoustic too I don't bitch about beveled sides and cutaways, there's nothing more edgey than an acoustic body and for more years than not beveled bodies didn't exist yet people managed.

"Managing" is not the same as "comfort."

Besides, acoustic guitar designers are getting the message:

Cutaway?

Last edited by dspellman at Jun 30, 2014,
I find strats and SGs to be much more comfortable to play sitting down than Teles and LPs.
Quote by deepc0re
I find strats and SGs to be much more comfortable to play sitting down than Teles and LPs.

Fewer dents in your thigh?
I never had an issue playing a LP sitting or standing, and my 1st guitar 20 yrs ago was a LP clone that I still play without issue. I actually have several different shaped guitars and they are all different, but I don't have issues with any of them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by KenG
^^ Dave if you converted to classical it would work better for an LP. It also lines the guitar closer to where it hangs when standing up. Being a SUper Strat guy I can see why you'd not prefer that position though.

Yeah I have other guitars as well as superstrats, but I started on strats/superstrats... when you start on the comfiest thing, it's hard to use anything else.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
do you play with the guitar low, mid or high up your body when standing? if you play low, a LP may give you a sore back after playing for a while. MAY...

In terms of playing while sitting down... I recently bought a LP traditional, and I find that sometimes the guitar can tend to slide around a bit off my right leg (this is because there is a decent chunk of the body that hangs off the side of the leg). Having said that, i personally don't find it to be a big deal...

go to a store, try a few LP's - take your strap and give that a go too. it wont tell you if the weight is going to be a drama over hours of standing, but at least you'll get a rough gauge
Quote by emc
do you play with the guitar low, mid or high up your body when standing? if you play low, a LP may give you a sore back after playing for a while. MAY...

In terms of playing while sitting down... I recently bought a LP traditional, and I find that sometimes the guitar can tend to slide around a bit off my right leg (this is because there is a decent chunk of the body that hangs off the side of the leg). Having said that, i personally don't find it to be a big deal...

go to a store, try a few LP's - take your strap and give that a go too. it wont tell you if the weight is going to be a drama over hours of standing, but at least you'll get a rough gauge

exactly. Go try one out and see how it feels to you. Guitars are a to each his own prospect. What is good to one may not be good for another.