Okay guys, so here's the thing. I absolutely love playing with 14 gauge strings. I always play in standard. I have to get Ernie Ball 7 string power slinky's and leave off the 11 and throw the 14 in for the high e. I have the problem that I ALWAYS break the g string when bending. I have used a previously broken string to file out the nut and the saddle but still it always just pulls apart at the nut or the saddle. Does anybody know what's going on? Could it just be that with the high tension the string is pulling and the thickness of it, that it's just not meant to bend? I've noticed it usually happening when bending at like the 2nd fret. I've broke 2 today, and I have no clue what's going on. Any help would be appreciated.
Quote by Danielghero
Okay guys, so here's the thing. I absolutely love playing with 14 gauge strings. I always play in standard. I have to get Ernie Ball 7 string power slinky's and leave off the 11 and throw the 14 in for the high e. I have the problem that I ALWAYS break the g string when bending. I have used a previously broken string to file out the nut and the saddle but still it always just pulls apart at the nut or the saddle. Does anybody know what's going on? Could it just be that with the high tension the string is pulling and the thickness of it, that it's just not meant to bend? I've noticed it usually happening when bending at like the 2nd fret. I've broke 2 today, and I have no clue what's going on. Any help would be appreciated.

you are pushing it a little bit. i don't see the surprise as to why you are breaking strings, a lot of tension. may be exceding mechanical limits. how is your action?

if you want that tuning, take it to a luthier (NOT a tech) and get a good professional set up. $20-$40 could be the best few bucks spent on it.

i think SRV may have played with a similar gauge for part of his career.

good luck, sorry i couldn't help you more
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Those are wayyy too thick for standard. Like, if you're getting a 7 string pack and throwing away what should be the high E, you should be tuning down for like standard C or lower. If you want more tension than your standard strings buy a pack that is slightly higher in gauge.
If you're moving every string "up a notch" then they're all tuned way above concert. That would be putting a huge stress on all the strings.
One day the neck on your guitar is going to give out and bitch slap you in the face as it shatters.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Are you trying to make maple pretzels?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone