how do I achieve the tone of all along the watchtower? I have a fender frontman 10g amp and a wah and FAB disrortion pedal. how can I get that tone?
I hate to give the standard answer here but it's the truth: tone comes from your fingers (and brain I suppose), NOT your gear.

An example:

Do you think that if Jimi Hendrix walked into your room today, picked up your guitar, and started playing though your rig you could mistake him for anyone else? Do you think that anyone might mistake him for you?
Of course not. Good gear is the ultimate compliment to a good musician but gear alone won't give you a particular sound. Practice playing the tune until you get the feel and nuance down; best case scenario is that you incorporate some of Hendrix's style into your own unique sound.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
No he's not. It's a mixture of both. How you gonna get that rich tone with a Frontman?

You need the gear AND the skills. Hendrix will play like Hendrix with that gear but be won't have the tonal qualities that his guitar and amp will give him. Playing style and the attributes that add to the tone will be there regardless of gear; Attack, vibrato etc but without a decent guitar and a decent amp you'll never achieve a great tone.

Again, you need both. TS: Start with a traditional Plexi style amp and a Strat.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jun 29, 2014,
Quote by Bmxafro
how do I achieve the tone of all along the watchtower? I have a fender frontman 10g amp and a wah and FAB disrortion pedal. how can I get that tone?

you won't be able to nail it at all. you need a fuzz face style fuzz pedal for starters. AATWT is one of the few times you fan hear an echoplex on a Hendrix recording as well. realistically a tube amp will be needed to.

as for using what you have experiment but don't expect to get all that close.
+1 on a fuzz face (probably through a half-decent tube amp). also neck pickup. also able to play like hendrix.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah maybe ill get a fuzzface, and I own a squire strat. ive been working on my vibrato and stuff so maybe ill get there
Squier.

99.999999% of us won't get there, but we can aim for a reasonable level of 'Hendrix'.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Mephaphil
Squier.

99.999999% of us won't get there, but we can aim for a reasonable level of 'Hendrix'.

yeah totally agree. I have a Fender Stratocaster and tube amps as well as fuzz etc. love Hendrix still can't nail his sound or playing.

OP if it were as easy as buying a pedal or two then we'd all do it. that song has several layered guitars on it so isn't just one tone to begin with. you really can't expect to get very close with beginner gear (or even with better stuff). learn the song and do the best you can.