Ok, So im running a tele with a lil59 single coil size humbucker in the neck and a standard tele bridge coil three way switch and a push pull. Ive got all new cords into a Marshall 8100 with an 8412 cab. I bought a 2 channel 15 band Peavey EQ today and hooked it into my effects loop on channel 1. Then got the brilliant idea that since its two channel i can run chan 1 before the effects loop right after the guitar ie before the preamp. And run channel 2 in the fx loop ie after the preamp but before the power amp. But when i plug the EQ into the main input i just get i very high squeal. Its a noise ive never heard the amp make before I can get rid of it by lowering the gain the whole way but who want to do that its a Marshall. I know both channels of the EQ are good because im now running them in series to get more boost out of FX loop send into chan 1 out of 1 into chan 2 out of 2 into return FX loop i get 12Db of boost from each channel. But id really like to have and eq before and after the preamp any suggestions ???
Last edited by mountianjustice at Jun 29, 2014,
Probably just too much boost for the SS preamp to handle so it squealed like a pig. Try it without the EQ at all and just you>guitar> amp. I'll bet it sounds way better.

EQ is great for solving specific problems but it sounds like you were doing a science experiment and the amp protested loudly.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 29, 2014,
yes the rig will run fine with out the eq it will run fine with the eq as long as i run it after the preamp or before the preamp but why wont it let me do both before and after the preamp which is a tube preamp by the way