I've just been playing guitar a few months now, and for a while now my guitar has had what I've come to learn is called fret buzz. A few weeks ago I brought it into my local guitar and music shop and had them fix it. He said something about how he wasn't able to get it perfect due to physical damage to the guitar from being treated roughly, but got it pretty good and as good as it could get. That does make sense since I've had the guitar for multiple years and I am never really played until recently, so didn't worry about being too careful with it. But it sounded basically fine, slightly buzzy but pretty good. However, this only lasted a couple days until it started to come back, slightly at first but before long exactly like it was before. I just don't want to pay to have it to be fixed again if it's basically unfixable and is just going to do the same thing. Can that be unfixable? Might I need a new guitar?
what kind of guitar is it? if it's a cheaper low end model, the repair cost may far exceed the value of it. at which point it would make economical sense to just walk away from it. most low end guitars end up only hurting your ability to learn anyway.
it may just be the way that you've stored it over the years that has caused it to dry out excessively and that the proper addition of humidity may cure it( or too much humidity).
tell us what brand/model it is and how you have been storing it over the years that you've neglected/ignored it( in some circles, that alone would be cause enough to have musicians hold you down while another staples bologna to your face as punishment... be thankful you don't live near me, we use whole cows !! )
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
"Damage from rough handling", is far too vague a description for us to be much help.

Overall fret buzz is caused by, the guitar's action, (string height), being too low, or insufficient "relief", in the neck.

Individual, (specific fret), buzz is most often caused by a loose, or improperly "dressed" fret. Either factor results in a fret which is too high in relation to its neighbors.

Now, the condition of the sound board itself, can also raise or lower the action. This can be from humidity issues (as Step explained).

For a quick check, you can sight across the board, and look for a dip in front of the bridge, which would be the main culprit in causing the action to drop and hence buzz.

Excess humidity would cause the sound board to "puff up", (become too convex), and raise the action.

Normally, when you set up a guitar, is should stay that way for months, if not years.

So, if you had your guitar setup by a tech, and it already is doing the same thing, there may be some damage to the instrument causing it.

Here is a comprehensive guide on how to set up an acoustic guitar:

http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.html

Read through it. It should allow you to familiarize yourself with the process and the terminology to make yourself better understood.

There is also Step's plan "B", and spring for another guitar. That's of course if you plan on committing yourself to learning to play, as opposed to stuffing it in the hall closet, without a case.