Page 1 of 3
http://www-ee.stanford.edu/~hellman/opinion/inevitability.html

Martin E. Hellman says it is inevitable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Hellman

If you really think about it, we are the only country who has actually used a nuclear weapon so I think he is being a bit paranoid and over analytical in which he thinks that nuclear warfare is inevitable. I really doubt there is going to be any kind of nuclear war because the leaders of each country knows what is at stake: the end of the world, intense levels of chaos and destruction, and complete devastation of their home country.

His last name is ironic too. I think he's just playing his part to show a possible scenario which might actually be unlikely.

What do you think about this?
Last edited by Veronicuh at Jun 29, 2014,
Quote by Veronicuh
I really doubt there is going to be any kind of nuclear war because the leaders of each country knows what is at stake...
You think they put what's at stake over the price of victory? lol ok.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
well, it seems like the only countries that are actual nuclear threats are the state-sponsored terrorist countries like Pakistan, Iran (they still have a good current leader that wouldn't do anything), and any kind of terrorist group that could possibly get their hands on nuclear weapons. North Korea is also a possible threat as well. I doubt Russia would ever use any kind of nuke as a weapon because they would pretty much be deciding to possibly end humanity or severely stunt the growth and reduce the population to 500 million.

also, if one country were to engage in nuclear warfare, it will be like a chain reaction and a whole **** ton of people are going to die.

I really doubt nuclear war will happen though....
**** yes!

gimme my apocalyptic wasteland!

(i know it's a horrible perspective to have and I'm really not trying to sound edgy here but i semi-strongly believe that it'll take quite a bang to get humanity out of its current plight)
Quote by Telecaster7
Oh dear, current affairs...
Quote by CrazyMatt
**** yes!

gimme my apocalyptic wasteland!

(i know it's a horrible perspective to have and I'm really not trying to sound edgy here but i semi-strongly believe that it'll take quite a bang to get humanity out of its current plight)

i c wut u did ther

I don't think it will happen in my life time, but perhaps eventually. I hope not though, the destruction and death that would occur is just too much to imagine.

edit: it isn't tho
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at Jun 29, 2014,
I don't trust Hellman's position on anything but mayonnaise.

Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Eh, probably not. Though the scary thing, looking back, is all these stories that are coming out of lax security procedures or whatever around nuclear weapons - it seems far likelier that a ****-up will lead to some sort of nuclear exchange than an actual decision to pull the trigger.
That bit is 30 years old. It is not inevitable in the slightest; the time since 1945 has been unprecedented for major powers *not* going to war with each other.

Yeah, if a nuke goes off it will have something to do with Pakistan or some other seriously unstable place.
While I find eye to eye contact superior than social media, I think that social media and the internet in general gave a more cohesive feel throughout the (western) world.

It may seem the countries respective leaders control the trigger, but at the big wars, they make sure the people are on their side.

Hitler did not invade, it was german soldiers (citizen's) same goes for America, or all the way back to Roman Legions for that matter. There has to be a (silent) approval of the people before conflicts broke out.

This was mostly through propaganda or going further back, using religion, but hardly ever has a leader decided out of nowhere to do something, there was always created tension beforehand. A motive sorta speak.

I think if a nuclear war would commence, there has to be nothing to lose/something big to be gained. Think something like an uncurable epidemic, or resources running low directly affecting the economy hard.

Also don't give America a free pass.. A middle eastern terrorist group openingly admitting hijacking planes and putting them in buildings in the most well known/watched city in the world was really "asking for it". I find it amazing that even that wasn't enough to throw a nuke or 2, which shows the world's leaders are really not THAT trigger happy.

It feels to me that the only way to provoke a nuke is to throw a nuke yourself at this point, and it would result (to say it roughly) in 1 allied country being blown up, but certain destruction of everything you fight for and that's the biggest loss to give I feel. Either everything blows or nothing.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jun 29, 2014,
I don't even know what to say anymore...
It already happened when they tested the first nuke in 1946 or something...
Bikini Atoll Test baker...
For the love of all that is F***ed look it up...
Please!!!!
And shut up about it.
There's no such thing as an apocalypse.
Y2k bug...
Look that up as well.
I'm getting fed up with all of this stupid Bulls***!
The only apocalypse that's gonna happen in our lifetime is the constant devolution of our brains!
And that's only happening because we're all letting it!
Quote by BurgundyGrandAm
I don't even know what to say anymore...
It already happened when they tested the first nuke in 1946 or something...
Bikini Atoll Test baker...
For the love of all that is F***ed look it up...
Please!!!!
And shut up about it.
There's no such thing as an apocalypse.
Y2k bug...
Look that up as well.
I'm getting fed up with all of this stupid Bulls***!
The only apocalypse that's gonna happen in our lifetime is the constant devolution of our brains!
And that's only happening because we're all letting it!

What are you going on about? If you're going to form opinions please write them in coherent sentences.
I have no idea what I'm talking about anymore...
I was ranting...
My point is that I wish people would thinking about all of this post-apocalypse bullcrap.
I spent way to much time thinking about it and that's why I am so messed up in the head.
You know what I seriously think is far more likely to happen? Someone(probably N.Korea) is going to create some bomb that's like ten times the power of the tsar bomb. They are going to try transport it underground or in the ocean(where ever it's "legal" for them to be tested) bur someone will **** up and it will accidentally go off in the ground, ****ing up a large portion of the world immediately, and the rest of us dying from radiation and shit within days.

And what I think is even more likely to happen first. The LHC creating a blackhole or some shit. Cause I don't care what anyone says scientists don't fully know wtf could happen with that thing.
Last edited by Wormholes at Jun 29, 2014,
Considering that we're talking about forever here, its very likely that at some point more than one country will exchange nukes
Quote by Rossenrot
This article is from 1985 dude.

Yeah, but Nostradamus is old as balls and yet look at how much he's predicted. Something to think about.
Quote by Wormholes
You know what I seriously think is far more likely to happen? Someone(probably N.Korea) is going to create some bomb that's like ten times the power of the tsar bomb. They are going to try transport it underground or in the ocean(where ever it's "legal" for them to be tested) bur someone will **** up and it will accidentally go off in the ground, ****ing up a large portion of the world immediately, and the rest of us dying from radiation and shit within days.

And what I think is even more likely to happen first. The LHC creating a blackhole or some shit. Cause I don't care what anyone says scientists don't fully know wtf could happen with that thing.

That's what I thought to a tee.

People should just learn to leave well-enough alone...
And I'm pretty sure;
scientifically, by propelling the Earth towards the sun, the force from the sun would propel the Earth further away, almost like a ricochet effect.
I think that was the plan to save us from all of the f***ups we did in the past trying to accomplish the same thing.
Basically; the sun is the beginning of a planets timeline and another star would be the end.
According to my own personal theories of course.
Quote by severed-metal
Yeah, but Nostradamus is old as balls and yet look at how much he's predicted. Something to think about.

Nostradamus didn't predict shit. Like pretty much all people who claim to predict the future, their prophecies are so vague that they can be creatively mangled(whether by misinterpretation, mistranslation of just stubborn arsehole-ishness) to fit events.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
inevitable: incapable of being avoided or evaded

People need to stop using this word when they mean "likely." Even "extremely likely."
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Nostradamus didn't predict shit. Like pretty much all people who claim to predict the future, their prophecies are so vague that they can be creatively mangled(whether by misinterpretation, mistranslation of just stubborn arsehole-ishness) to fit events.

Nah, proof he was wrong or I don't believe you.
We're probably far more likely to just over populate the Earth and use and abuse every resource available and die cos of that than nuclear warfare or stuff going wrong with the LHC experiments.

Used to think that nuclear apocalypse was inevitable til I really took a look into the whole thing. But I agree if it were to happen it'd be due to a technical fault.
Quote by BurgundyGrandAm
And I'm pretty sure;
scientifically, by propelling the Earth towards the sun, the force from the sun would propel the Earth further away, almost like a ricochet effect.
I think that was the plan to save us from all of the f***ups we did in the past trying to accomplish the same thing.
Basically; the sun is the beginning of a planets timeline and another star would be the end.
According to my own personal theories of course.

haha what?
I think it's possible that a band of crazies might detonate 1 nuke in our lifetimes. General nuclear warfare with hundreds of warheads popping off? Never gonna happen.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by severed-metal
Nah, proof he was wrong or I don't believe you.

Because that's how the burden of proof works.

"I've got a baseball in my hand, but it's invisible and nobody can feel it."

"No you don't."

"YOU CAN'T PROVE THAT!!! I'M RIGHT!"

Also, it's extremely implausible that it could happen. A smaller country wouldn't dare attack another country because they would instantly get curb-stomped by the rest of the world. Bigger countries like the United States and Russia wouldn't dare use a nuclear weapon because even if they COULD fight off other countries, they'd be pretty ****ed regardless. North Korea is too busy being a cartoon and there we go. Unless some terrorist on a camel somehow gets hit by some special meteorite that teaches them everything there is to know about building, handling and using a nuclear warhead, noooot gonna happen.
Last edited by Velcro Man at Jun 29, 2014,
Not only will there not be a nuclear war, but there won't be another big war period. The internet makes it virtually impossible.
Check out my band Disturbed
tupac already wrote about this a long time ago, it was the dopest song he wrote, in 94.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Jun 29, 2014,
Page 1 of 3