Hello UG Forums,

I have this guitar: http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page14.php?year=2014&area_id=2&cat_id=1&series_id=9&data_id=108&color=CL01

Is it worth putting a floyd rose and some new pups in or should I just buy a new guitar. I've hard tailed it because the bridge is absolute s**t and now it stays in tune well.

I'm going to buy a new guitar anyway, one that's more mid level, like a MIM Strat or maybe slightly cheaper.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Last edited by StaticBacon at Jun 29, 2014,
I've just discovered Guitarfetish pickups and prewired pickguards. The prewired pickguards are perfect for me because I don't want to be playing with the wires in my guitar if I don't have to. But are the pickups any good because they are concerningly cheap. They sound pretty decent from what I've heard on youtube but I'd like to hear some other people's opinions.
I personally wouldn't put the mods on that guitar. They are made to be an entry level beginner offering. You would be better off upgrading to a guitar with a floyd already installed.
I would recommend you try restring a Floyd before you make the investment to buy one. Floyds are a serious hassle, and you should be prepared for what you're getting into. I agree with Merc, it's not really worth upgrading, especially if you're planning on getting a new guitar
Israel is a terrorist state.
Putting a floyd rose into that guitar would require cutting a quite big hole into the body, which is quite a lot of work
i would generally advise against putting in a floyd rose (or similiar) into a body that wasn't built for it

to show you what i am talking about:
this is a body whith the holes for a normal tremolo bridge:
http://www.bestguitarparts.com/productimages/822.jpg

this is one prepared for a floyd rose:
http://www.bhefner.com/images/products/large_82_S.FLOYD.SWAMPASH.jpg
Last edited by Kapoc at Jun 29, 2014,
I wouldn't do it unless I really love the feel of the guitar. I have a cheapo guitar that I bought when I first started and it feels so good that I wouldn't mind dropping 2-3 times the amount of money I spent on it, to make it better. I'm talking extremely good here. I haven't played anything that matches the feel of it, including high end Gibsons, Fenders, Jacksons etc.

What I'm saying is only do it if you like the feel and if you have the extra cash. If you don't, just save up and get a new guitar.
Quote by JD Close
I would recommend you try restring a Floyd before you make the investment to buy one. Floyds are a serious hassle, and you should be prepared for what you're getting into. I agree with Merc, it's not really worth upgrading, especially if you're planning on getting a new guitar

this. definitely this. they are a nightmare.

I have a GRG170DX and i know what you mean, the beginner/entry level Ibanez's, ie the Gio series, are actually good guitars for the money.

but as for putting a Floyd/Edge etc on it it's not just the bridge you'll have to mess with, it's also the nut too.

if you really love the guitar and how it feels but want a floyd trem, ok go for it i know nothing feels better than your favorite guitar but if you don't have any 'attachment' with it, save up for a better guitar.

you need to bear in mind that unless you're a skilled luthier you're gonna need to take it to a luthier as they will need to install it. i wouldn't bother messing with stuff like that myself.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Alright, thanks for the feedback guys. It looks like a floyd is not an option at the moment but what about new pickups?
Quote by StaticBacon
Alright, thanks for the feedback guys. It looks like a floyd is not an option at the moment but what about new pickups?

I'm a great believer in pickup swapping in inexpensive guitars, but you need to have a clear idea of what is wrong with the ones you have and what you expect from the replacements.