I recently purchased an Ibanez SAS36QM CBS : a guitar which has Ibanez's "True Duo" pick-up system. Essentially this allows you to coil tap the bridge humbucker however, although this pick-up is more than fine for a practice environment it doesn't really deliver the fat, meaty sound that I would like to attain as a metal and blues player. This is why I am considering replacing this pick up with another humbucker (Either a Seymour duncan, DiMarzio, or active EMG) but, I am uncertain to whether this can be attained due to the fact that I know very little beyond the basics concerning the circuitry involved behind coil tapped pick ups. Essentially what I'm asking is, will a new humbucker work?

NOTE: I know this guitar is not perfect for metal, but I really enjoy playing it and have only recently purchased it

Thank you in advance :-)
You can put in any 4 wire passive humbucker in your current system and get the coil tap, just make sure to use the proper wiring color codes as they can be different between brands. If you go to active pickups you will have to change out volume, tone and most likely your jack.
also active PU will need a Battery slot huilt somewhere into your guitar
Quote by Kapoc
also active PU will need a Battery slot huilt somewhere into your guitar

Not necessarily, I don't have a special battery slot on any of my emg loaded guitars, there is usually enough room in the control cavities of most guitars.