I have a few cable-related questions about the Vypyr 75, hoping someone with some familiarity can point me in the right direction:

• The jack on the front panel appears to be USB-B. Is this correct?
  • Will I run into any latency issues using a 16-feet (4-meter) cable?
  • I'm hearing that I may need a USB-to-MIDI8 cable to take care of firmware updates. Can anyone confirm, or can firmware be done through the front USB connection instead?
  • Since I picked up this amp used, is there any way to find out what the current firmware version is?

OK, that should about do it to start. Thanks in advance.
I am a StarGeezer: some call me..."Tim."*

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
I used to own a Vypyr 75 - don't bother with the USB recording, it's awful.

But yes - you just need a generic printer cable to hook it up to your computer. You shouldn't have any latency problems.

No, it has to be through the midi cable.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You can determine the software code that exists on your amplifier by holding down preset buttons 1 and 4 during power up. The unit will display LED around the first three encoders. The position of the LED relates to a number, with the “top left” led being zero. The numbers proceed clockwise around the encoder.
For example, on the stompbox encoder "TubeScrm" is 0 and "Bypass" is 1 and so forth.
Likewise on the amp encoder "DZL" is 0 and "TWN" is 1 and so forth around the encoder.
On the effects encoder, “Tremolo” is 0 and “Bypass” is 1.

So, if you have Bypass, DZL, Octaver, you have code 1.0.2, which is the current version (EDIT: Current version is now 1.5.9....RC) .

That version is not the latest. That was posted in 2008.
Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
Thanks for the replies guys. Here's a follow-up: can you update the firmware via the Sampera pedal? I know some of these add-ons sometimes allow you to interface with your amp and computer a bit better, but am unsure what additional functionality along these lines you get with the pedal. Thanks again.
I am a StarGeezer: some call me..."Tim."*

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
Here's a link to VYPYR support page. It has the updater and latest firmware as well as instructions.

http://peavey.com/products/vypyr/#support

I also have the 75. Versatile amp.
Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
Last edited by SGFAN4174 at Jun 29, 2014,