So currently i'm modding my squier strat (i believe it's made in Indonesia 2004) by swapping it's stock pu's into a new one,and i fell in love with the HSS configuration (great versatility,IMO)
the question is:what pu's do you recommend for my squier?
i'd prefer seymour duncan btw,it's easy as hell to find the dealers in my country

and for the tone,i'd expect them to be this way:
Neck:covering John Mayer,The Script
Middle:i don't care too much here,anything is acceptable
Bridge:covering Paramore,Oasis,Nirvana

well i think that's enough about my questions
thanks!
do you want the single coils to match the output of the humbucker when it's split, or when it's in full humbucking mode?

also what amp are you using?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
do you want the single coils to match the output of the humbucker when it's split, or when it's in full humbucking mode?

also what amp are you using?

well i won't use the split coil for the humbucker,so the single coils should match the full humbucker

my amp is Cort MX30R,practice amp with 10" speaker
ok. probably stay on the lower output side for the humbucker (so probably one of the vintage output duncan humbuckers) and on the higher output side for the single coils (but not crazy high output since you want pretty vintage single coil tones). the other thing is, if you want pretty vintage single coil tones like mayer, you probably want a lower output strat-type pickup, and that's not going to have as much output as even a paf-style vintage output humbucker. So you'll need to decide which you want to compromise on more- the mayer-type tones, or matching the single coils' outputs to the humbucker's.

Other thing is I'd strongly advise upgrading that amp at some point in the near future too, if at all possible. I'm not sure pickups are the best place to put your money if you're using a cheap solid state practice amp (but it's your money and your call).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Dave_Mc
ok. probably stay on the lower output side for the humbucker (so probably one of the vintage output duncan humbuckers) and on the higher output side for the single coils (but not crazy high output since you want pretty vintage single coil tones). the other thing is, if you want pretty vintage single coil tones like mayer, you probably want a lower output strat-type pickup, and that's not going to have as much output as even a paf-style vintage output humbucker. So you'll need to decide which you want to compromise on more- the mayer-type tones, or matching the single coils' outputs to the humbucker's.

Other thing is I'd strongly advise upgrading that amp at some point in the near future too, if at all possible. I'm not sure pickups are the best place to put your money if you're using a cheap solid state practice amp (but it's your money and your call).

well,i'll keep that in mind
anyway i don't expect to get my guitar's best tone from that cheap amp since i only use it as a jammate i'm swapping the pu's since the tone it makes from the amp of the cafe i play with my band is terrible
thanks!

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Budget?

I got 150$ for now,not sure whether it will go up or down...
no problem
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Like Dave Mc says, you can't have your cake and eat it with the HSS configuration.

Some compromises I've tried are:

Very low output humbucker - eg GFS Retrotron Memphis

Lower the humbucker

Series/single/paralle switching

Dummy or Z coil pole piece arrangement. That is, on humbuckers with 12 scew poles, take six of them out, either all from one coil or three from each.

I currently have three of these options - GFS Memphis, s/s/p switching and Z-coil - on different guitars. It all works in its own way.
Yeah. HSS (and HSH too) is great, and I really like it, and it's really versatile if you know how to use it- but it's not perfect either and involves its own compromises, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Golden Age pickups should do the trick. They sound good, and they're not too pricey.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

The Tesla OPUS pickups are pretty sweet, and as I recall, run about $65 each. I have 2 of the singlecoils in a custom project, partnered with a hotter Tesla VR-Extreme HB. Nice.