Should a guitar pick be replaced if the point isn't that pointy anymore due playing?
Nope, you're suppose to use the same pick for the rest of your life. If you use a different pick, the flux capacitor goes out of phase and eventually it'll catch fire. Make damn sure you don't lose that pick!
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
If it's made of something soft like nylon or tortex, try rubbing the sides on a carpet to sharpen it.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Change it whenever you feel like changing it.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
How is it even possible to keep a plec long enough to actually wear it? I use a different pick every week because they tend to mysteriously dissapear...
Quote by Taz9
How is it even possible to keep a plec long enough to actually wear it? I use a different pick every week because they tend to mysteriously dissapear...

I wear them down all the time.......
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Damn pick gnomes always steal mine way before they wear down.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Stainless steel picks=problem solved.

/thread
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
^ that way you're likely to have to change strings about as often as I change tortex picks
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
^ that way you're likely to have to change strings about as often as I change tortex picks

You'd think that. But I'm not a gorilla strummer. I keep my 7 nice and high so I move my hand as little as possible to pick. And my sixers are slung low with stupid thick strings. It all works out. I don;t see that much more string wear.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I've found that ultex wears down slower than tortex. I was using Dunlop Tortex Sharps but recently switched to their Ultex Sharps. I did that because I preferred the shape but have noticed slightly less wear as a nice bonus.
I buy them by the dozen so it doesn't really matter anyway. If one does wear out I toss it away. Picks are cheap. I usually drop a heap of picks on top of my amp and just grab the first one that comes to hand. So really I don't notice a lot of wear often anyway because it gets spread around between them. Occasionally one will get a bit blunt so I toss it at the crowd and grab another one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by lucky1978
Nope, you're suppose to use the same pick for the rest of your life. If you use a different pick, the flux capacitor goes out of phase and eventually it'll catch fire. Make damn sure you don't lose that pick!

Quote by bluestratplayer

lol, indeed. However, i suspect that there is actually a black hole that sucks the picks.

Quote by Taz9

Yeah, it's possible. Those picks can't hide from me!

Quote by TheStig1214
You'd think that. But I'm not a gorilla strummer. I keep my 7 nice and high so I move my hand as little as possible to pick. And my sixers are slung low with stupid thick strings. It all works out. I don;t see that much more string wear.

But i am a gorilla strummer. I like punishing those strings .
well, you could always sacrifice that useless pick.
just "accidently" drop it. The pick monster should teleport it to the pick universe
where it will be enslaved for 2,147,483,647 years.
after that it will return to its original form, a humus and a poor child will be able to eat it.
There is no right or wrong time to throw a pick out. If you could still happily use it, keep it. If you think it's worn down too much to use, throw it at an adoring fan at a concert. Try and hit them in the eyeball.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
i went through tortex fast. but still, the disappear before they are too worn.

i really like the max grip carbon fiber picks. they are great. i use the maxgrip jazz iii's and they last forever. but i don't use one pick at a time. i can probobly see a dozen on the floor or amp or counter from right here.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by VeilSide
well, you could always sacrifice that useless pick.
just "accidently" drop it. The pick monster should teleport it to the pick universe
where it will be enslaved for 2,147,483,647 years.
after that it will return to its original form, a humus and a poor child will be able to eat it.

Good idea, but that's too long! By that time, people use robotic controlled picks that will stay under your skin when you don't play.

Quote by PsiGuy60
There is no right or wrong time to throw a pick out. If you could still happily use it, keep it. If you think it's worn down too much to use, throw it at an adoring fan at a concert. Try and hit them in the eyeball.

lol

Quote by trashedlostfdup
i went through tortex fast. but still, the disappear before they are too worn.

i really like the max grip carbon fiber picks. they are great. i use the maxgrip jazz iii's and they last forever. but i don't use one pick at a time. i can probobly see a dozen on the floor or amp or counter from right here.

Dunlop and Tortex seem to wear out fast. But at least they don't seem to damage the strings that much.
I don't think I ever lost a pick.

I just replace them when the tip becomes blunt, and I keep the worn ones in a small box. Don't know what I'll do with them, but I don't feel like throwing them into the bin either. Damn, I'm weird.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
My 3mm Big Stubby's are like 6 years old and still in perfect shape I have lost most of them by now though.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
I seem to lose mine. I swear to god one day im gonna move a piece of furniture and discover about 500 plectrums
Quote by Linkerman
I don't think I ever lost a pick.

I just replace them when the tip becomes blunt, and I keep the worn ones in a small box. Don't know what I'll do with them, but I don't feel like throwing them into the bin either. Damn, I'm weird.

You're either exceptionally OCD or a damn liar...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
You're either exceptionally OCD or a damn liar...

I admit I have a bit of OCD when it comes to some stuff...

I even keep a lot of used strings. I keep thinking that I might need them in an emergency if I break one. Which never happens, since I always have brand-new packs of strings at hand to completely restring the guitar.

I can post pics, if you want to see my collection of used picks and strings.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
I admit I have a bit of OCD when it comes to some stuff...

I even keep a lot of used strings. I keep thinking that I might need them in an emergency if I break one. Which never happens, since I always have brand-new packs of strings at hand to completely restring the guitar.

Thanks but I'll just take your word for it...

Used guitar strings are useful, just not on a guitar.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Linkerman

I kinda wanna see it......
Quote by Arby911

They are fun to brand unsuspecting people with. Just take a lighter, give it a few seconds to start glowing red and . Lol funny as shit. I have some brands from payback lol. Fun stuff.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by LivinJoke84
I kinda wanna see it......

Quote by Arby911
Thanks but I'll just take your word for it...

Since LivinJoke wants to see it, you don't have to take my word for it. You can see it for yourself:

And this is just the stuff I had easy access to, I have more at the studio my band uses for rehearsals.

As I said, I never lose my picks, but I do take a couple of used ones to gigs to put in my mic stand's pick holder. That way, when people in the audience ask for a pick, I give away the used ones first.

The coffin where I keep my used picks (along with a few bands-related pinback buttons) is an old papercraft from the band The Agonist.

Quote by Arby911

Once I gave a couple of them to our cleaning lady, she wanted them to clean the k-itchen sink's pipes at her house.

Other than that, what are they useful for?

Quote by bluestratplayer
They are fun to brand unsuspecting people with. Just take a lighter, give it a few seconds to start glowing red and . Lol funny as shit. I have some brands from payback lol. Fun stuff.

You're a horrible person and you'll burn in hell.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112

Quote by Linkerman
Once I gave a couple of them to our cleaning lady, she wanted them to clean the k-itchen sink's pipes at her house.

Other than that, what are they useful for?

The unwound ones make great rabbit snares.

You do realise that you are insane don't you?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You do realise that you are insane don't you?

Some of the world's greatest minds were called insane, too.

But in my case it's probably just insanity and not geniality...
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
How do you even keep them that long?! i swear i set mine down for a second and it vanishes
Quote by hanley888
How do you even keep them that long?! i swear i set mine down for a second and it vanishes

I always know where my stuff is, and I keep track of it as much as possible.
In my whole life, I only lost a couple of things.

Like Arby said, I must have a bit of OCD.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
I was sitting naked and my pick stuck to my ass and then I put pants on and it fell out my leg later when I was in the supermarket.
Is this thread really still alive?
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by hanley888

The pick gnomes have mercy.

Quote by Tempoe
I was sitting naked and my pick stuck to my ass and then I put pants on and it fell out my leg later when I was in the supermarket.

My picks dont wear down.Someone breaks into my home at night and steals picks and a single sock all the time. Hope I catch them someday.
Quote by Jageetar
Should a guitar pick be replaced if the point isn't that pointy anymore due playing?

Yeah, if you can't sand it down to a point again, toss it and get another.

I use Gravity Picks (2mm and 3mm Razer, mostly), and I've only ever worn ONE of them to the point where it needed some touchup with fine sandpaper.

As an aside, I don't, generally, lose picks around the house. I do have rotten, dastardly, thieving friends, however, who purloin the suckers all the time. Thus, I keep the expensive Gravities tucked well away and I have a Pick Punch that I use to make picks out of old credit cards, etc. THOSE I leave where they can be found. As an aside, however, you can buy the materials for some very good picks from both the Pick Punch people and from other sources. In one case, I tried something that they suggested: gluing two or three thin picks together. You can then sand the edges/point to where you like it and end up with one thick pick. Again, just a few of those was sufficient for me (and I'm now very happy to pay my friend at Gravity do to the work <G>.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I had some female audience member ask me for a pick with sweat on it, and she got all weird-giddy over it. I have NO idea what she did with it, and I'm not sure that I want to know.
Quote by bronzepour
My picks dont wear down.Someone breaks into my home at night and steals picks and a single sock all the time. Hope I catch them someday.

Quote by dspellman

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I had some female audience member ask me for a pick with sweat on it, and she got all weird-giddy over it. I have NO idea what she did with it, and I'm not sure that I want to know.

o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dspellman

Why does that weird cool stuff never happen to me? I'd want to know.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
I lose them at gigs mostly... by putting them in my pocket, forgetting that I put them there, so I grab a new one out of the tin that sits on my amp. Then my wife finds them when she does laundry... so my pick tin mysteriously fills up every week or so... It's like magic..

Picks are cheap... buy more..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!