Hey guys I just purchased a Seagull S6 Coastline Spruce Acoustic for $285. At the time I thought it was a good deal but didn't think to ask for the year of the guitar. The item was listed as "mint condition" and I thought it was an awesome deal since they retail at $470+tax. Was this a good purchase?

Here's the link to the item

Also, I've read that many people prefer the cedar tops to the spruce, but spruce has more durability. I'd like to use this guitar for fingerpicking and would like to know which was better for that: cedar or spruce? If it's cedar, then is there a place where I could trade-in the spruce top for a cedar?

Thanks!
Last edited by surjerrylee at Jun 29, 2014,
Seagull is a winner and is usually worth twice the price. I have a 12 yr old S6 and am still very pleased with the tone and build quality.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
$285 seems like a decent deal to me, as used guitars should sell for 1/2 to 2/3 of new.

i prefer the cedar top models myself, but what matters most is do YOU like the sound of your guitar? it doesn't matter what anyone else likes. also is the guitar in good condition? i have to admit that i wouldn't have bought from that listing, as the pics aren't detailed and the seller doesn't mention anything about nut width or string spacing or whether the guitar was kept in a smoke-free and humidified environment. but sounds like it worked out for you?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I haven't yet received the guitar. I'm super stoked to play it, but I had originally hoped for a cedar top just because I tested it out, really liked the look and sound of it, but hadn't had a chance to try the spruce top. The only reason I went for it is because it's almost $200 off the original tag. What are some signs I should check for when I receive the guitar? Should I take it to a luthier and have him/her inspect it?

Also, just as a side note. I feel like everytime I go to a luthier in my area they're really impatient. Perhaps because I ask a lot of novice questions, so I guess my question is are these services targeted towards more experienced players?
Quote by surjerrylee

Also, just as a side note. I feel like every time I go to a luthier in my area they're really impatient. Perhaps because I ask a lot of novice questions, so I guess my question is are these services targeted towards more experienced players?

They may be super busy and or yeah, they may be bugged by your novice questions... (especially if you're bombarding them foolishly/non-stop.) BUT, in my opinion there's simply NO excuse to show that impatience whether busy or bugged.

Especially if you're in there for a legit reason and are expecting to pay them cash for their services.

Being a professional in anything does not equate to bad manners or insulting/put-off behavior. In particular I feel this applies to this type of business where a customer 'may' be totally lost and have a lack of knowledge. If you've been there more than once for legitimate reasons, conducted yourself properly, and still got 'brushed off' or made to feel awkward and or unwanted every time, if it were me, I'd be looking for me a new shop/guy.

There's bound to be 'nicer', friendlier people around somewhere reasonably close. Just make sure 'your' not causing it by being obnoxious, ill-bred, or overly bothersome. Time 'is' money and no one wants to be 'hounded'.... however reasonable questions/time spent on a paying customer should be something such a professional 'wants' rather than shuns/spurns.

Good luck.

Beo
Thanks Beo!

Also can anyone explain why the Seagull S6 Coastline Spruce is more expensive than the S6 Original Cedar? I understand that the sound is subjective, but it seems to be the general opinion that the cedar sounds better. Is it cheaper to harvest?
Last edited by surjerrylee at Jun 29, 2014,
it's not $200 off the original tag - it's used. used is always cheaper, regardless of condition - or is should be.

Quote by surjerrylee
I haven't yet received the guitar. I'm super stoked to play it, but I had originally hoped for a cedar top just because I tested it out, really liked the look and sound of it, but hadn't had a chance to try the spruce top. The only reason I went for it is because it's almost $200 off the original tag. What are some signs I should check for when I receive the guitar? Should I take it to a luthier and have him/her inspect it?

Also, just as a side note. I feel like everytime I go to a luthier in my area they're really impatient. Perhaps because I ask a lot of novice questions, so I guess my question is are these services targeted towards more experienced players?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by surjerrylee
I haven't yet received the guitar. I'm super stoked to play it, but I had originally hoped for a cedar top just because I tested it out, really liked the look and sound of it, but hadn't had a chance to try the spruce top. The only reason I went for it is because it's almost $200 off the original tag. What are some signs I should check for when I receive the guitar? Should I take it to a luthier and have him/her inspect it?....[ ]....
Just for the record, stopping people from working and asking multiple questions about a guitar you don't even have yet, and are buying from someone else, would try my patience.
@ CaptainCranky, I asked the luthier questions about a guitar I currently have, which is the Epiphone Hummingbird Pro. More specifically, I asked whether it was worth upgrading the nut and saddle to bone, what the turn time was and how difficult the process is. Just didn't feel like those questions warranted any hostility.

@ Patticake, thanks for clarification!
Quote by surjerrylee
@ CaptainCranky, I asked the luthier questions about a guitar I currently have, which is the Epiphone Hummingbird Pro. More specifically, I asked whether it was worth upgrading the nut and saddle to bone, what the turn time was and how difficult the process is. Just didn't feel like those questions warranted any hostility.
I can only comment on the info I had at the time, which is what lead me to that observation.

If those are the extent of the questions you asked, I have to say the shouldn't have come anywhere near the "you're imposing on me".

In any case, here is an excellent guide for the setup of acoustic guitars:
http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.html

This should answer most of your question before you even hit the shop.

You are a bit over excited. For example, you're asking about trading in a guitar you haven't played yet. I don't know how this translates to your demeanor. But you are getting ahead of yourself in leaps and bounds.

Yes, cedar allegedly wears out. But, it's over a period of more than a decade. Many guitar would need a neck reset, before their cedar top crapped out.

Whether or not you like the sound of cedar over spruce, can be as capricious as the mood you're in.

In very broad terms, cedar gives off more sound for less input than spruce. However, you can also cause it to "distort" because of that. I expect that eventually you'll have more than 2 guitars, and perhaps one of them will be cedar.

I'm pretty sure cedar wouldn't be right for me, since I enjoy banging on a bright guitar. I would consider a cedar 12 string though, as they need a bit of taming in the high end when playing solo.

So, your selection of top wood, has to be based on your style, or perhaps even one aspect of your style. Cedar for the fingers, spruce for the pick, sorta like that.

If you're bursting with curiosity to the point you can't control it, subscribe to "Guitar Player Magazine". You can get a 2 year subscription for about 23 bucks, (in the US). The run a bunch of shop oriented and myth busting articles, along the lines of the questions you're asking. Last month it was, "what's the mystique behind bone nuts".

Besides, getting that shiny and smelling from still wet ink mag in the mail each month, serves to remind me how much I enjoy playing "at" the guitar.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 30, 2014,
Thanks for guide, captaincranky! I agree with you 100% on being over excited. Even my girlfriend says I'm getting way ahead of myself. To be honest, I didn't know that the Seagull S6 had a spruce or a cedar version. I just assumed I was getting the same guitar I played at the shop, except better since it was more expensive :-P

I'll take your advice and try it out before moving to cedar :-)
My Seagull S6+ Cedar top is 12 yrs old and has maybe 400 gigs on her. I play pretty rough and she looks like she has toured around the world already. Lots of "character" that Willie Nelson would be proud of.

This is Willy's, not mine.

"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 30, 2014,