My friend wants me to wire his guitar for him, but I can't find a proper schematic for what he wants. the guitar was a cheap starcaster, but he got a humbucker for it and wants it in the middle position. And he wants a master tone control, so it would be SHS, 1 vol, 1 tone, and a 3 way switch.
Quote by Fastmerc
I think you are going to need a 5 way switch to use 3 pickups. Then just use this and switch where the hot lead goes into the 5way. The color codes may be different depending on the brand of humbucker you are putting in so check on that.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/funykmunkyass/HSS_1v_1t_5w.jpg

i have a 5 way switch i could use. just wondering, what difference a 5 and 3 way switch makes?
Simplest way to explain is a 3 way has 3 available lugs 2 inputs and an output, with 3 pickups you will need 3 inputs and an output.
Quote by SchizoidManx00
i have a 5 way switch i could use. just wondering, what difference a 5 and 3 way switch makes?

You can wire a strat with a 3 way switch or a 5 way switch.

With 3 pickups and a 3 way switch, you'll only be able to have each pickup individually. The original strats were wired this way. The 5 way switch lets you choose neck & middle and bridge & middle as well as the three individual pickups.

If he has a functioning, stock starcaster, it will be wired up with a 5 way switch but it is likely to be a different presentation from the switch in the link above. This link will tell you how to translate between them.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiring_resources_guitar_wiring_diagrams.wiring_faqs.pickup_switch_cross_reference_diagrams/

I think you will struggle to find a pickguard for SHS configuration, unless it's a single coil sized pickup.
Quote by Fastmerc
Simplest way to explain is a 3 way has 3 available lugs 2 inputs and an output, with 3 pickups you will need 3 inputs and an output.

Switches don't have inputs and outputs, they have poles and throws.

Throws are the individual connections that the switch can make, and the pole is common to all the throws in a section. A 3-way Strat switch is a double-pole triple-throw, or DP3T, switch. It has two separate sections (the poles) with 3 throws each, all controlled by one lever (the armature). A 5-way Strat switch is identical to the 3-way version in every way except that it has 2 extra detents which allow it to jumper across two lugs at once in the 2 and 4 positions. Note that a 5-way Strat switch is not a 5-throw switch because it still only has 3 individual connections. The number of throws isn't necessarily the same as the number of positions.
Quote by Invader Jim
Switches don't have inputs and outputs, they have poles and throws.

Throws are the individual connections that the switch can make, and the pole is common to all the throws in a section. A 3-way Strat switch is a double-pole triple-throw, or DP3T, switch. It has two separate sections (the poles) with 3 throws each, all controlled by one lever (the armature). A 5-way Strat switch is identical to the 3-way version in every way except that it has 2 extra detents which allow it to jumper across two lugs at once in the 2 and 4 positions. Note that a 5-way Strat switch is not a 5-throw switch because it still only has 3 individual connections. The number of throws isn't necessarily the same as the number of positions.

While I realize switches don't have inputs and outputs, I was trying to relay the information in a basic concept, hence why I prefaced it with "Simple". I was for some reason thinking about a import 3 way 3 lug not a vintage strat style, I shouldn't assume what he was using. Sorry about that.
Last edited by Fastmerc at Jun 30, 2014,
Quote by Fastmerc
While I realize switches don't have inputs and outputs, I was trying to relay the information in a basic concept, hence why I prefaced it with "Simple". I was for some reason thinking about a import 3 way 3 lug not a vintage strat style, I shouldn't assume what he was using. Sorry about that.

Man, you have nothing to apologize for. I understand the need to keep things simple, but there's a point where simplified becomes technically inaccurate. It just leads to confusion for the person asking about it. I was just attempting to address that. I really don't mean to sound condescending or superior or anything, but apparently that is how I come off as being.
No worries, Im sure you have forgotten more about electrical circuits than I know...lol. Besides I did make an assumption I shouldn't have...I should have asked the op which version of three way he had.
Quote by Fastmerc
..I should have asked the op which version of three way he had.

The switch he wants to use is a import 3 way blade switch.
Last edited by SchizoidManx00 at Jul 1, 2014,
Just so you know Im not completely nuts, the last batch of 3 ways I had gotten in looked like this:

So I was going off memory of using these. I do remember most import switches are like the ones you posted now. In fact these may be also, they just don't have the lugs put on the other traces.

Anyway for whatever reason that is what I was thinking of.
I just took a look, and I don't have any loose ones. I do have one left in one of my guitars, if I get a chance to pull it I will.