Hey guys, I love Mesa Boogie dual and triple rectifiers, and i was wondering what a good substitute would be for no more than 700$, I play stuff from Van Halen to Megadeth. I prefer head and cab but its not a must also has to be over 40 watts because i play a lot of clean also. Thanks!
Last edited by sanjeeb12 at Jun 29, 2014,
Older Mk I, F-50 head, 50 Caliber. They can all take you to EVH town. Might need a boost pedal in front for Megadeth. I never go there.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Why not go used? Reverb.com has a variety of different Mesa amps, and even if you're not in the USA, some of those sellers may ship to your area. Worth a look.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
where do you live? It will help us narrow down the selection of amps and pricing
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'd rather use something marshally (or hot rod marshally) for those tones, but if you play that music but like the mesa-type tone that's absolutely your prerogative.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah, I play stuff like van halen, but a bit heavier, and the mesas really works for that type of sound
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Call today! If it hasn't been left out in the rain it's a keeper.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Why not go used? Reverb.com has a variety of different Mesa amps, and even if you're not in the USA, some of those sellers may ship to your area. Worth a look.
Not many countries use 120V and Mesa don't use multi-tapped power transformers. Replacement PT's for Mesas cost an arm and a leg. That's why I've never owned one. They just aren't economically viable outside of the US.

But that's a moot point at this stage. Buy that Mk3. Good amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by sanjeeb12
yeah, I play stuff like van halen, but a bit heavier, and the mesas really works for that type of sound

no worries
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Cathbard
Not many countries use 120V and Mesa don't use multi-tapped power transformers. Replacement PT's for Mesas cost an arm and a leg. That's why I've never owned one. They just aren't economically viable outside of the US.

But that's a moot point at this stage. Buy that Mk3. Good amp.

get a stepdown transformer
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
My only worry with that is that it's still just an IEC socket on the amp itself. You just know at some some stage some dumb **** will plug it into 230V when I aint looking. Like German tourists, the stupid are everywhere.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
My only worry with that is that it's still just an IEC socket on the amp itself. You just know at some some stage some dumb **** will plug it into 230V when I aint looking. Like German tourists, the stupid are everywhere.

Take the socket out and hard wire the cable to it, so there is no chance of that mistake

Or just get the Markus module like you have, I'm sure that gets pretty close
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah, that's the way I went. I would have loved a Mark 5 but they're like $5k here. **** that noise.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Yeah, that's the way I went. I would have loved a Mark 5 but they're like $5k here. **** that noise.

Couldn't you order one from the US for like a third of the price, I mean, even with shipping you should still come out way ahead. I know you got the RM not anyway though. Maybe you can invest have five shipped to you from here and rake in some nice profits over there
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
A 230V transformer from Mesa is something stoopid like $800, and I don't know of any third party ones, don't even think Mercury make them, although I could be wrong. I have thought about importing and flipping - but Mesa are a PITA. It looks like they are colluding with their distributors to make it hard for others to import them.
Importing old Fenders and flipping them would be the way to go if I was to indulge in that game. Cheaper and easier to convert but still worth many times what they cost in the US.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Why convert? Can't people just use a step down transformer can't remember what they are actually called though. Just seems if someone could make the investment buying used ones and flipping them, even though it could take some time, you could make some good coin on each flip
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Like I said. If I was going to do that, I'd buy old Fenders. They cost an arm and a leg over here whereas in the US they're as cheap as ****. Bigger market for them too I'd think.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Hell that would work. Flip enough, take profits to fund your gear desires.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Every time i get enough money to do it, I spend it on gear. It'll never happen.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah but you can have more money for the gear after a couple flips. Use the profits as your funds. I live in an area where most people know what they have and around Nashville there is a great used market, can find some flips but its a bit hard with a lot of the good prices to make it worth the time to bother.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Maybe one day. I've got shit to buy that I want now, godammit!
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You sound like an American
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Them there's fighting words, my man.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by Cathbard

I read this comment envisioning you saying it in a classic Clint Eastwood voice
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by Cathbard

No they're not.

"You LOOK like an American" would be though.

And I say that as an American.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!