Hey Guys! So a while back, I posted a few images of this really old guitar which was beyond repair.

It was an old acoustic that belonged to my mom. Due to the metal tail-piece, it rusted over the years and really affected the bottom part of the guitar.

So, I decided to strengthen the structure using Paper-Maiche instead.

For anyone who's interested in doing the same, or just for fun, I'll document the short process here!
Quote by slapsymcdougal
No, I judge people based on how similar they are to me.
The greater the similarity, the more of a total ****ing **** they are.

Metal is like an apple. Everything is good except for the core
Okay, so a few shots to show to damage.

The cardboard was a temporary solution so that storage of the guitar in a soft case would be a little more convenient. I used very soft and light-adhesive tape.

The neck got dislocated which was fixed by some simple wood glue.

Here, you can see the giant hole in the base.

Now, I got some cardboard pieces (High quality which bends easily) in the shape of long strips to fix the base as well as the strengthen the sides.

Next, I decided that the top laminate should be removed to allow a better final surface so I did that exactly (which was a bitch ). I actually collected the pieces and plan to use them later for the final thing. I made sure to keep the whole piece of the laminate with the logo, intact.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Here, you see the carboard strips in question.

It's really important that you get the size right. Also, keep in mind that the thickness varies on some guitars (Like this one) so make sure to measure the thickest part.

Also, the laminate and other details have been stripped.

I decided to cover the soundhole in order to get more surface area to design later.

Also, it isn't visible here, but the other side had a gaping hole and I used appropriately cut pieces of carboard to cover them up. To get a good fit, you may want to use a few tools and make the hole bigger.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Here, we see the paper-maiche work. This photo was taken after I finished one side. I thought it'd be best to do one side at a time because there's a lot of moisture and the wood absorbed most of it. I gave it time to dry and did the other side after a few days.

It was really time consuming to get the edges and corners smooth. You can use large strips of paper on the top but you need really tiny pieces for the edges. A brush really helps apply the paper to all those nooks and crannies.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

After I did the whole body, I used a pen-knife to cut off all the folds and lumps. Since it's paper, it's terribly messy to try to do the same with sandpaper especially on the first layer.

I did one more layer just to strengthen the weak parts and fill the seams caused by the cardboard strips. After this, I let it dry for 4 days.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

For the final layer, I contemplated using a ******* roll but that failed miserably. ******* roll paper is incredibly soft and almost disintegrated instantly in the liquid I was using.

So I used white 70 GSM sheets of paper instead.

But instead of tearing them up I cut them and placed the layers very close to each other avoid overlap as much as I could. Although I couldn't avoid it over the whole body, It worked quite well in getting a smooth surface.

I really don't know why UG censored the word K-i-t-c-h-e-n
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Last edited by shawnkenneth at Jun 29, 2014,
Here is the guitar at this stage still drying from the last step. I used my wall guitar hanger to keep it till it's dried.

It took a lot of time to get the edges smooth and defined.

The guitar is still drying so any marks/blemishes are actually just water.

I don't think it needs another layer but I will reinforce a few nooks and crannies once this is totally dry.

I have decided to create a mosaic on the surface (Probably either some scenery or something music-related)

Anyone have any suggestions, let me know.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

All dried up and smooth after a while

Quote by slapsymcdougal

Guys, anyone have any ideas? I was gonna try a mosaic but I think some 3-D effects might also look good.

Please, do suggest.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

It looks like something Jack White would play.

Very creative fix though, so I'll give you an A for that alone. Now to get it playable will be a challenge
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
It looks like something Jack White would play.

Very creative fix though, so I'll give you an A for that alone. Now to get it playable will be a challenge

Thanks. I think I should've mentioned earlier that I'm not actually trying to get it to be playable. But out of curiosity, I will attempt it. If it fails, there's always the visual aspect of it.
Quote by slapsymcdougal