Hello. I'm looking for a 24 fret, stainless steel jumbo fret machine! I had my eyes on the jackson sl2h, but ever since playing stainless steel frets on my strat, I much prefer them as well as the upkeep on them. I'm looking at an S prestige right now and I know they don't come with stainless steel, but I'm looking for an alternative, preferably like a soloist with stainless steel frets, anything out there like this? Carvin isn't an option, I hate their headstock designs, I know, I know :p.
You could, you know, buy whatever you like and have a luthier refret them with stainless frets.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
It does. But it's out of necessity because very few guitars come with them. And the guitars that do have them are never, ever cheap. We're talking in the thousands of dollars range easily for an instrument that has them.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Dound
Does that not cost a lot of cash?

Enough that it would probably cost less to buy a bolt-on and replace the neck with a custom neck from Warmoth.
Yeah that'd be pointless on a new guitar. TooDeep that's why I was surprised that the sl2h at $2.4k didn't come with them. That's why I'm asking around for alternatives.
I play alot! I mean a bunch. Have had some guitars for many years, gigging every week for a couple of years and all, and have not had to refret a guitar yet. (longest owned guitar is 12 years or slightly more) Maybe I'm uneducated but I dont see the urgency for stainless frets honestly. Is it just to say thats what you have?
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It does. But it's out of necessity because very few guitars come with them. And the guitars that do have them are never, ever cheap. We're talking in the thousands of dollars range easily for an instrument that has them.

Wrongo, Toyota.
Some $400 Agiles are coming with them (and they're an option on their semi-customs).

Stainless frets are a $40 option (last time I looked) on most of Carvin's guitars, including the ones that start out under $1000.

If you don't like the wide variety of headstocks available on Carvins (this is directed at Dound), that's a personal problem, and it does you out of some pretty outstanding guitars. If the headstocks are really an issue, you should probably look at the Holdsworth Headless from Carvin <G>.
Quote by dspellman
Wrongo, Toyota.
Some $400 Agiles are coming with them (and they're an option on their semi-customs).

Stainless frets are a $40 option (last time I looked) on most of Carvin's guitars, including the ones that start out under $1000.

I didn't know that.

Not that I would have reason to know anyway. I never take an interest in Carvin or Agile because I live in the UK. The only other guitars that I know of that have that option are in the thousands of dollars.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jun 29, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I didn't know that.

Not that I would have reason to know anyway. I never take an interest in Carvin or Agile because I live in the UK. The only other guitars that I know of that have that option are in the thousands of dollars.

We're seeing a LOT of guitars showing up with stainless frets these days, and more of them are in the well-under-thousands-of-dollars category.
Quote by pushingthrough
I play alot! I mean a bunch. Have had some guitars for many years, gigging every week for a couple of years and all, and have not had to refret a guitar yet. (longest owned guitar is 12 years or slightly more) Maybe I'm uneducated but I dont see the urgency for stainless frets honestly. Is it just to say thats what you have?

They wear well (especially important if you're a ham-fisted gorilla gripper, less so if you're a shredder with a light touch), they're nice and smooth (when polished). But, as you say, I really don't care either way. I've got four or five with stainless frets and there's no drawback to them...
Quote by dspellman
We're seeing a LOT of guitars showing up with stainless frets these days, and more of them are in the well-under-thousands-of-dollars category.

Again, I wouldn't have reason to know. I don't constantly research guitars. I've seen most of what can be done with guitars in terms of features, so I got bored of doing it.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jun 29, 2014,
Don't get me wrong. Carvin is cool and all, I like the options. It's just not my thing from the slightly off headstocks to their pickups among other things. I definitely can see the attraction and the awesome pricing, just not my thing though.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Again, I wouldn't have reason to know. I don't constantly research guitars. I've seen most of what can be done with guitars in terms of features, so I got bored of doing it.

If you're on a forum like this, you'll probably catch up quickly enough. Stainless frets have been around a good 20 years and Carvin's been offering them for a decent chunk of those 20 (and I've had Carvins since 1988 or so). There was a time when techs whined incessantly about stainless; it was dulling their tools. Most techs have come to terms with it and have better tools (and it doesn't seem to bother the PLEK machines at all). When you can buy a $435 Agile with stainless and graphtech nut and bridge and good Alnico V pickups and an ebony fretboard with real MOP/Abalone inlays and it turns out to be a really good playing and sounding guitar, you know that things have changed.

I think the hotbed time for guitars themselves was probably the '70's; there was a LOT of advancement (Floyds, sustainers, active pickups, 24-fret boards, scalloped fretboards, wild paint jobs, lots of pickup sound switching, phase switches, onboard FX, graphite necks, plastic bodies, aluminum neck-throughs, etc.). Since then, manufacturers have mostly stultified and concentrated on "selling units" (with the possible exception of Line 6's Variax and the various MIDI add-ons).
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

.....I never take an interest in Carvin or Agile because I live in the UK. The only other guitars that I know of that have that option are in the thousands of dollars.

Can you get Schecters in the UK? The Schecter JL-7 and KM-7 Jeff Loomis and Keith Merrow sigs have stainless steel frets, at $1,100 and $1,000. So.. One thousand. Not bad. If you want a 7 string. But yeah, the options are seriously limited, so unless you want one of the few specific guitars available with them, it might be worth it to get whatever else you do want, and refret it.
Last edited by the_bi99man at Jul 2, 2014,