Song 6
1 6%
Song 7
2 13%
Voters: 16.
Hei

You know what really grinds my gears?
Bugs Bunny.

Bugs Bunny and his long-ass ears. He's not even a ****ing bunny, he's a hare. What the actual **** Bugs? You lying piece of shit.
And that's not even the worst thing about him.

He's a ****ing mischievous bastard of the worst kind, and he's always annoying everyone around him.

Then comes Lola Bunny. With Bugs' cunty-history, the probability for domestic abuse is so high you can get a second-hand overdose. **** you Bugs Bunny.

The objective of this thread is to vote on the song you like the most, but remember: don't base your vote on the quality of the recording, base it on the content.

Here they are:

1 - "Son I Am Disappoint (rough first draft)" (primusfan)

2 - "Can't Know" (ehbacon)

3 - "Happen" (sickman411, semiquaver)

4 - "Give It All Up" (Joshua1207)

5 - "English Rain" (Skinny91)

6 - "Only To Those Who Know Where To Look" (whywefight)

7 - "Light, Song, Story" (SirZep)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is last week's most voted song, from SirZep, the song "Come To Me", with 8 votes!
------------------------------------------------------------------

If you too want to become a better songwriter/gigolo consider joining our group (http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/mozartfactory/), all the info you need to join this weekly "contest" is there.

The votes will be counted this Friday. The winner of this week's voting will become a mod in our group.

------------------
Take that you ****. That's for hitting Lola. You douche.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeRMOOg9ztw

Check out last week's thread here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1647956
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Jul 2, 2014,
I have no idea who to vote for. Awesome week, disappointed Foltz never got a song in

Song by song favorite highlights imo:

Fun song, well written, lots of interesting chords that I'm not sure I could play

I like it. Don't have much else to say haha

Reminds me of Radiohead, which is never a bad thing really

Love the distorted low end that comes in at around 20 seconds, and I love the reversed guitar.

Gorgeous, low key. Always kinda reminds me of Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe at first

Love the instrument that comes in about 1:40 in too, what is that?

Love the guitar effect at around 10 seconds in and I love how you have the vocals produced. And of course the cowbell.

Still not sure who to vote for.
Last edited by whywefight at Jun 29, 2014,
Son I Am Disappoint: I really like this, the guitar chords are so breezy and relaxed. Lyrics fit well to the song.

Can't Know: Good progression, would be nice to hear it with some vocals as well.

Happen: The underlying dark tonality of the first riff is really cool, it works with when it kicks into the heavy chorus. That part after the Bass breakdown is really good.

Give It All Up: I like the drums on this, they are really loose at times, which I think is a good contrast compared to the harder edged synth lines.

Only to Those Who Know Where to Look: Nice reverb'y vocals. Is that a Ukulele as well? I like it.

Light, Song, Story: Good chorus melody, the song itself keeps varied as well which is good.

__

Honestly was really hard to choose this week but I went Son I Am Disappoint, very nice track.

Edit:

Quote by whywefight
Gorgeous, low key. Always kinda reminds me of Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe at first

Love the instrument that comes in about 1:40 in too, what is that?

Haha nice, I love that song though it wasn't the intention. The instrument is a Melodica, which is essentially a little keyboard you blow into. They are awesome instruments, I love how they sound.
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Last edited by Skinny91 at Jun 30, 2014,
Jesus! You guys keep making it harder and harder to choose! I ended up with skinny's. Loved that porcupine tree vibe! Such depth..
Loved SirZep's solo. Spot on.
Could totally relate to primusfan lyrics And kept getting an urge to sing over ehbacon's song!

Cheers!
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there" Miles Davis
and shit

I just wrote a whole review of every song and voted before I posted. It is lost now.

Only things that really mattered were that I thought in Happen the riff would be better if the deviated part would go down instead of up, and in english rain the pre-chorus should only happen once. Great week!
Quote by skinny91
Good progression, would be nice to hear it with some vocals as well.

Quote by semiquaver
And kept getting an urge to sing over ehbacon's song!

I would love to collab with somebody, but I have not the talent nor the equipment to do vocals myself.
"Son I Am Disappoint" - Damn, the song has this kind of vintage vibe to it that I can't put my finger on (it's a good thing, I just can't explain it). Really fun song, I also like the lyrics.

"Can't Know" - I'd add some layers to it, I tend to complicate things but I think it would've gave it more depth, like some one-string-solo kind of thing or stuff like that.

"Happen" - I love that bass line at around 2:50 and the way the guitar is going berserk but the bass plays it cool and keeps it together like 'I got this shit'. 'Best things happen at the worst time' - Great stuff.

"English Rain" - You can really get away with the background noise on this song, don't even know if there was any or if it was just...rain. I love how everything stops at around the 3 minute mark. You had this whole array of instruments and layers but then everything slows down, becomes more clear and it sounds really beautiful.

"Give It All Up" - The drums have some sort of 80s vibe to it with that reverb going on and the guitar(?) makes the song sound like an 8bit video game soundtrack. It would be very interesting to hear some vocals over it.

"Only To Those Who Know Where To Look" - The more simple guitar parts make you pay more attention to the vocals which is really a great thing because the vocals (and the harmonies) sound really warm and soothing. Also, great drum beat.

Great songs. It wasn't easy to choose one (which is always fun) but I voted for 'Happen'
Quote by ehbacon
and shit

I just wrote a whole review of every song and voted before I posted. It is lost now.

/
Quote by ehbacon
I thought in Happen the riff would be better if the deviated part would go down instead of up

I don't really get what you mean...
Quote by whywefight
Reminds me of Radiohead, which is never a bad thing really

Can't really say I see an obvious resemblance in this particular song, to be honest. They are one of our favourite bands though, so they're bound to influence our general style.
Quote by Skinny91
The underlying dark tonality of the first riff is really cool, it works with when it kicks into the heavy chorus. That part after the Bass breakdown is really good.

Soundcloud's processing seems to have distorted the vocals in the chorus which is unfortunate but whatever.

Anyway, I also don't really know who to vote for. Great stuff this week, and it's nice to see the number of songs go up again. I'll give them all another listen later and decide, and maybe write a bit about each one.

EDIT:
Quote by SirZep
"Happen" - I love that bass line at around 2:50 and the way the guitar is going berserk but the bass plays it cool and keeps it together like 'I got this shit'. 'Best things happen at the worst time' - Great stuff.

Great songs. It wasn't easy to choose one (which is always fun) but I voted for 'Happen'

Thanks!
It was actually "the best things happen at the worst times" but that S got buried in the mix somehow. You can still hear it in the second verse.
As for the bass bit, semiquaver played it as a bit of a joke at first (a Tool pastiche of sorts) and we liked it and put it in the song.
Last edited by sickman411 at Jun 30, 2014,
Quote by sickman411
I don't really get what you mean...

every other time the riff changes a little bit, I think it would be better if it went lower in pitch instead of higher.
Last edited by ehbacon at Jun 30, 2014,
Quote by sickman411
Soundcloud's processing seems to have distorted the vocals in the chorus which is unfortunate but whatever.

I ended up remixing my whole song because soundcloud made the vocals sound really muddy

Quote by Skinny91
Only to Those Who Know Where to Look: Nice reverb'y vocals. Is that a Ukulele as well? I like it.

Haha nice, I love that song though it wasn't the intention. The instrument is a Melodica, which is essentially a little keyboard you blow into. They are awesome instruments, I love how they sound.

That it is.

And it sounds great, really considering buying one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fZrNKJszZw

Yup I'm buying one

I wish it was a bit more emotive but it's got a great tone
Last edited by whywefight at Jun 30, 2014,
Quote by SirZep
"English Rain" - You can really get away with the background noise on this song, don't even know if there was any or if it was just...rain. I love how everything stops at around the 3 minute mark. You had this whole array of instruments and layers but then everything slows down, becomes more clear and it sounds really beautiful.

It ended up mixed a little quietly, but it was rain and thunder played with percussion, the thunder especially gets very lost. Thank you for the kind words.
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Quote by ehbacon
I would love to collab with somebody, but I have not the talent nor the equipment to do vocals myself.

Yea every time I hear your songs I think of a vocal line and how cool it would be to record vocals over your guitar. I really like your chords and structure, reminds me of what I would write. Also because I'm busier now it would probably be easier just to record vocals. I know I'm not the best singer and there's definitely better people to choose from, but I'd be down to collab.
Quote by whywefight
I ended up remixing my whole song because soundcloud made the vocals sound really muddy

It's happened before for me with a guitar, on The Right Time. It seems to do that with reverbed stuff on some low-mid frequencies (for guitars/vocals, I mean). The whole mix was pretty loud on this one actually, which might have had something to do with it but I don't really know.
Quote by ehbacon
every other time the riff changes a little bit, I think it would be better if it went lower in pitch instead of higher.

Ah. The problem is it would stop implying the augmented chord there (it goes D - Daug, and the note that changes is the 5th of the chord). I'd have had to find a way to play the A# somewhere else or else the whole "dark tonality" (as Skinny put it) would probably not be there.
I'll listen to these tomorrow and vote then. From the comments it looks like it'll be a fun listen
Quote by chev311e
Yea every time I hear your songs I think of a vocal line and how cool it would be to record vocals over your guitar. I really like your chords and structure, reminds me of what I would write. Also because I'm busier now it would probably be easier just to record vocals. I know I'm not the best singer and there's definitely better people to choose from, but I'd be down to collab.

I'd be down to collab sometime too. Sounds like fun.
Tuesday bump-
Quote by chev311e

Quote by whywefight
I'd be down to collab sometime too. Sounds like fun.

that'd be awesome!
Quote by sickman411
Ah. The problem is it would stop implying the augmented chord there (it goes D - Daug, and the note that changes is the 5th of the chord). I'd have had to find a way to play the A# somewhere else or else the whole "dark tonality" (as Skinny put it) would probably not be there.

I was thinking something like this would still go with the song:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ehbacon/music/all/play1268901
I'm always available to lay down any type of track for any of you guys if you ever need it, just send me a PM on here.

Gives me a chance to practice.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Last edited by Spoony_Bard at Jul 1, 2014,
Quote by Spoony_Bard
I'm always available to lay down any type of track for any of you guys if you ever need it, just send me a PM on here.

Gives me a chance to practice.

Does this include drums?
Sure does!

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

>¦<
¦
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Sure does!

Ok I might take you up on that. I just need to write a song first
Count on me for them harmonies. Anyone? C'mon, I could try...No? M'kay.
Quote by chev311e
Ok I might take you up on that. I just need to write a song first

Cool man, let me know. Your stuff is always quality.

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

>¦<
¦
Quote by ehbacon
posted in group too-

to wwf and chevelle, would either of you be up for collabing this coming week?

Edit: or to anyone else willing to collab

Yeah sure man. Just send me a song and tell me what bpm it is if you know it and I'll try to give you vocals that don't suck.
Quote by ehbacon
posted in group too-

to wwf and chevelle, would either of you be up for collabing this coming week?

Edit: or to anyone else willing to collab

Idk I think I actually might have a song to record this week
primusfan - Great chord progression and rhythm, and also how you turn it into a sort of "main riff". Nice lyrics, nice song structure. Voted.

ehbacon - Really nice one. Love the feel of those chords/voicings. I like that rung-out 7th chord at around 1:10 and the sped up bit was a nice idea too. One of your best songs.

Joshua - Like whywefight said, I really like that lead synth sound. I like how it's goes from that section that starts at 0:50 to the more chaotic bit later on, and how you wrapped up by revisiting an earlier bit.

Skinny - Nice and atmospheric. I really like the first "how far you've gone" bit, really elegant. I like how you basically made a fuller version of the first bit afterwards but it doesn't sound like just the same bit again; each of the sections has its own character and stands for itself even though they're the same thing.

whywefight - Nice to see you got out that ukulele again. I like the structure of the vocal line and the harmonies. Also, if someone sounds like Radiohead this week it's you

SirZep - Catchy as hell as usual. And nicely structured as usual. Sounds different from your usual stuff, and I say this as a good thing. I like the interlocking vocal lines. Rhythm guitar was a bit out of tune, but it's only that noticeable when it's playing alone.

The vote distribution doesn't really do the overall song quality much justice unfortunately.
Quote by sickman411
ehbacon - Really nice one. Love the feel of those chords/voicings. I like that rung-out 7th chord at around 1:10 and the sped up bit was a nice idea too. One of your best songs.

thanks! This is very much appreciated
I just want to say that recording ukulele is a huge bitch

They're so freaking tiny and they're awkward to hold in front of a microphone and the volume level is really unstable even with compression
yeah I could see how that would be an issue. Thankfully I have an acoustic-electric guitar so I can just plug in to my interface to record, easy peasy. Can't record with my electric because my mic is broken I think. Really annoying because I can't return it to musicians friend because it was on clearance
Quote by ehbacon
yeah I could see how that would be an issue. Thankfully I have an acoustic-electric guitar so I can just plug in to my interface to record, easy peasy. Can't record with my electric because my mic is broken I think. Really annoying because I can't return it to musicians friend because it was on clearance

You could plug in the electric in to the interface too and use an amp sim, there are some that sound pretty good
I've been busy and only now could I listen to these

Sorry SirZep for missing the commas on the song title
Quote by Minicaxotinho

Sorry SirZep for missing the commas on the song title

No problem, although I'm pretty sure that's why I lost this week. My streak is over.
Oh, btw, you were all talking about collaborations and stuff, so I mentioned it to semiquaver today and we're willing to collab with someone at some time too. We can do vocals, bass, VST instruments, extra guitars and synths, I guess. Not this week though, because we're doing a song already.
Quote by nico_9550
You could plug in the electric in to the interface too and use an amp sim, there are some that sound pretty good

I couldn't find any good free ones except amplitube and it wouldn't work