Hi guys, so ive decided to enter another guitar contest, this time the bicio DVMark one. Not expecting to win because of the sheer number of amazing players already in this contest, but i figured id give it a shot. This backing track was a bit hard to play over, but everything you hear in this video was conceived and recorded in about half an hour. I would love to know what you guys think of my playing!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGt0aDrB0t8

As always I will gladly C4C!!!

Thanks,

Jake P
Thanks for the crit dawg, it was well appreciated. I think youve got some chops man, you have some interesting phrasing as well, its not too cliche or anything like a lot of other players. Your timing was all pretty good, and I can tell you practice. Good luck in the contest man
Nice chops man, I enjoy your ideas. The phrasing is not one hundred million notes per second, and I like it man, congrats!!
First of all, great playing! You could play circles around me. Not sloppy at all. The tapping is impressive without giving out that cocky "look at me" vibe. You're not simply ripping through scales from start to finish, which is very considerate.

A few constructive criticism:

I realize that you're following a backing track, but your lead part always has a same feel to it for the entire song. It sounds good, but to keep things interesting and to grab someone's attention, why not drastically change tones halfway through the song or a few times? Or radically change techniques or scale patterns or something. Like for example distortion with metal riffs and halfway through, clean up with jazzy riffs.
What you're playing is quite good but the first minute and the last minute are just more of the same. The worst thing you can do to a judge is bore him, I think.

The next comment is not related to the music. You're entering a contest and every aspect of your video will be judged. I get that you don't want to show your face but I think that a nice dress shirt, a properly framed shot (no blurry desk visible in the foreground) and some sort of interesting (or blank) background would all go a long way to making your video look more professional. They might say that only the music will be judged (and it may even be true) but taking a few minutes to clean things up can go a long way.

Also did you record the backing track? It sounds really cool.
Quote by flexiblemile
First of all, great playing! You could play circles around me. Not sloppy at all. The tapping is impressive without giving out that cocky "look at me" vibe. You're not simply ripping through scales from start to finish, which is very considerate.

A few constructive criticism:

I realize that you're following a backing track, but your lead part always has a same feel to it for the entire song. It sounds good, but to keep things interesting and to grab someone's attention, why not drastically change tones halfway through the song or a few times? Or radically change techniques or scale patterns or something. Like for example distortion with metal riffs and halfway through, clean up with jazzy riffs.
What you're playing is quite good but the first minute and the last minute are just more of the same. The worst thing you can do to a judge is bore him, I think.

The next comment is not related to the music. You're entering a contest and every aspect of your video will be judged. I get that you don't want to show your face but I think that a nice dress shirt, a properly framed shot (no blurry desk visible in the foreground) and some sort of interesting (or blank) background would all go a long way to making your video look more professional. They might say that only the music will be judged (and it may even be true) but taking a few minutes to clean things up can go a long way.

Also did you record the backing track? It sounds really cool.

Thanks for the very detailed response. Im with u on everything u said. As for the vid itself, the reason this vid and most of mine in general dont show my face is because my cable I use to record is like 3 ft long, barely long enough to make my guitar visible in the shot (the desk is all I have to balance my cam on, I dont have a stand for it) however I am def buying a new cable for my ai soon, thanks again for the crit!
Awesome dude, I wish I could shred like you! Super clean, and interesting phrasing which is always refreshing after hearing the usual 'play 16th notes very very fast' style all the time. Nice tone too! Good luck with the competition, and thanks very much for the crit!
My Bands

Latest Original Recording
Nice clean/clear playing. Loved your tapping. I would probably drop the use of the single finger going down the neck towards the head (made your playing sound more basic than it really is). Have to say I liked your tone too.
Cheers Hoos
Nice tone.
Solid composition. I like the chord progressions especially from 1:06 to 1:17 and the melody over it especially the note at 1:11 :-)
I listened to it twice, once watching the video, once just listening without the visual, it holds up both ways well. The only minor thing is that tap/slide combo is used just a tad bit too much, like at the 1:41 mark, that was the 3rd or 4th time you played that lick so maybe something a little different at that time would be nicer.
Last edited by mattmakaha at Jul 3, 2014,