Hey guys, so I was jamming with my Schecter yesterday and I noticed something.

When I bend on about frets 3 to 6 the string seems to catch the fret and make a little dint in it, it's not too bad as yet, but I've had this problem on another guitar and never got it fixed. Making it unplayable,

so thought I'd ask here on what to do before I took it to a tech and myself making it worse.

What's worse is I have an audition for a band on Sunday and I don't have any other humbucker guitars.

Thanks UG!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
If you've been playing a guitar for a very long time, or if you've got a heavy touch, you'll find fretwear occurring, especially in the "cowboy chord" 1-5 frets. Does it look like this?:

The solution is usually a fret level and re-crown. If you have jumbo or super jumbo frets, there should be plenty of meat on them to allow this. When you've done this a couple of times, you'll want to refret, and you can actually just refret a section of the frets (the ones that had the most wear) if the rest have plenty of fret left.

Related: Stainless frets usually wear much longer; if you're a "gorilla gripper," and refuse to change your technique, you may want to make sure that your next guitar has stainless on it.
Quote by dspellman
If you've been playing a guitar for a very long time, or if you've got a heavy touch, you'll find fretwear occurring, especially in the "cowboy chord" 1-5 frets. Does it look like this?:

The solution is usually a fret level and re-crown. If you have jumbo or super jumbo frets, there should be plenty of meat on them to allow this. When you've done this a couple of times, you'll want to refret, and you can actually just refret a section of the frets (the ones that had the most wear) if the rest have plenty of fret left.

Related: Stainless frets usually wear much longer; if you're a "gorilla gripper," and refuse to change your technique, you may want to make sure that your next guitar has stainless on it.

Yeah, exactly like that, but it's not quite that bad yet, it's weird cause I've only had this guitar since march. Wasn't expecting it to do that!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Are you saying the string is actually making a dent in the fret? Or the string is catching hold of a dent on the fret? Or the string is touching mutiple frets causing it buzz? You can use a file to smooth out a dent or burr on a fret. You must have bumped it on something pretty hard to dent a fret. If its just string buzz, raise your action a bit until it stops.
Jackson Pro King V
Schecter LE Hellraiser C-1
Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by pantallica87
Are you saying the string is actually making a dent in the fret? Or the string is catching hold of a dent on the fret? Or the string is touching mutiple frets causing it buzz? You can use a file to smooth out a dent or burr on a fret. You must have bumped it on something pretty hard to dent a fret. If its just string buzz, raise your action a bit until it stops.

It's catching the fret and making a clanging noise, not really sure how to explain it!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Run to the tech, show him, pay him the money and MAKE SURE IT'S PLAYABLE before you leave the building.

If you're putting this kind of dentage in your frets, learn to play with a much lighter touch. Let the guitar do the work.
Fret wear is normal.... OVER TIME. If youre putting that kind of wear in the frets since march, you have a seriously heavy hand. Work on lightening it up or you will be paying for Level and Crowns or new frets much more often than usual.

A ding is something very different. You must have banged the strings into the fret pretty hard to do that. Some fine sand paper and a VERY light touch should fix it. If you feel you are not capable of doing this, take it to a tech and let them handle it. It should be a very quick fix.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Quote by Auriemma

A ding is something very different. You must have banged the strings into the fret pretty hard to do that. Some fine sand paper and a VERY light touch should fix it. If you feel you are not capable of doing this, take it to a tech and let them handle it. It should be a very quick fix.

Good point. If it looks like the photograph above, it's wear. If it looks like someone took a hammer to a string and whacked it into the fret, that's different. Both will require attention from a tech.

Be careful of an ill-fitting case that puts too much pressure on the neck -- it can push the strings right into the frets (you'll know; usually it'll be one of the wound strings that leaves an impression, though, not one of the solid strings). I've put a long tie-shaped piece of plastic between the strings and the frets (ESPs usually ship with one) to prevent this from happening while the guitar is being transported or stored.
It's weird because of all the guitars I've owned there's only been two that have ever done this and I've owned some of my guitars years!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Some guitars use very soft frets which can wear much faster than others
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Gonna take it to a tech, it isn't really that noticeable, but I'm glad I found it in the early stages, rather than being at an audition and having it unplayable.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Gonna take it to a tech, it isn't really that noticeable, but I'm glad I found it in the early stages, rather than being at an audition and having it unplayable.

Or better than your string breaking at that point while playing live.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77