so i am looking into replacing my stock speaker. ive seen alot of people using the Crex and the Classic v30. from what ive read though the Fender is already has enough bass and adding a Crex would make that worse. im not looking for a dark more bassy tone. the speakers im interested in so far is

v30 or Emi Governor
Emi wizard, private Jack, etc

wouldnt it be nice to try all them out? lol
i don't like a v30 in a hotrod deluxe. it does what you want tonally but it kills the cleans, and only really improves the od channel from "terrible" to "mediocre" (IMO).

i'd go for something more american-voiced- you should be able to get something on the brighter side of things.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The HRD has a pretty nice cabinet for 12" speaker testing so I did go on an experimental tone quest over the years. I tried a Jensen Alnico, Jensen C12N, Private Jack, EVM12L, and V30. The only one I didn't like was the Jensen Alnico and honestly it might have been a lemon. The high end seemed screechy instead of smooth and I think this describes "cone cry".

After my tone quest I put the stock speaker back in and realized it too was really pretty musical and sounded good. Any of the above speakers except the Alnico would have been fine. None resulted in rainbow unicorns flying out of the cabinet in complete tonal nirvana.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 30, 2014,
^ i've heard the stock speaker is more or less an eminence legend 1258... if that's true, I like that speaker in fender-style amps.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?