I have a line on a B52 4x12 steath cab with 100w b52 speakers and a Peavy transtube supreme head for $150. It would be replacing a Peavy programax 10 2x12 combo amp. Does anyone have experience with either of these and know if its a wise choice. Play alot of stoner/doom metal and want more low end. I've found mixed reviews and opinions on the subject of stacks vs. combos and though I'd get some input form players. I don't gig but do play with a drummer so volume is necessary. thanks for the input!
Whats the most money you could put into an amp? and where are you located so we can look around for deals.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Neither of those options is going to give you much low end. The 4x12 is probably more likely to give you *something* than the open-back combo.But it's not a great place to put your money, given what you're trying to accomplish..
I'm in NW ohio, not really looking to put money into a new amp, I just know I can sell the combo easily for the cash to buy the stack and just curious if it would be a worthwhile upgrade from what I am currently using. If I'm going to spend more than what I can get from the combo I'll just save up for a tubed setup.
Honestly, I think the only upgrade would be that you may get a bit more money out of the half stack than the combo, so don't guess would have anything to lose.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)