So the story is, I have a BC Rich Metal Web Warlock that I don't use a lot, and I'm thinking it's time I fired it up and used it a bit more. I tend to play 24.75" 6-strings, but with the little bit extra scale length, I might use this axe for some lower-tuned stuff, probably in the Northlane/Architects kinda style of sorta-djent modern metal.

Thing is, I might have to suck it in and change the pickups (I haven't bothered because I think I have to take the webbing off, which looks like:

and I couldn't be bothered to start with). They're okay, but they have a tendency to sound a little muddy, and the bridge pup has a really shrill high-end at the same time (only guitar I ever use the tone control on!).

I'm tossing up a few different options. The holy grail seems like BKP Juggernauts, but I've never had Dimarzios before, and so I'm curious about the Titan, the D Activator and the Crunch Lab/Liquifire combo. I dunno if any of the SD Sentient/Nazgul/Pegasus/Black Winter pickups would suit the application. I've got a BKP Aftermath in an LTD Viper-50 (cheap guitar, I know), and while that's brilliant, it sounds a bit like I imagine a machine feels emotions - cold and bleak (maybe it's the budget basswood bolt-on it's in, but I think it's more the pickup than the guitar).

The guitar is a nato (basically mahogany) body and thru-neck with an ebony board, stop-tail bridge; any ideas for pickups that are beautifully articulate, dynamic and tight like the Aftermath, but perhaps a touch warmer and more alive? (Nice coil-split tones would be a huge bonus too).

For what it's worth, I'm not likely to do more than one pickup change to a guitar, so if I'm reasonably happy, I'll probably just leave the new pickups in there. Oh, and the pickups have to be open-coil, pretty sure covered pups won't fit in the slots in the webbing (although most are, obviously, just no EMG's or covered pups).

Thankyou muchly!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryzie8mham8

Watch. It may help you decide. And even if it doesn't, you'll hear a set of amazing riffs like a dozen times.

Edit: If you want, jump to like 11 and a half minutes, and the last 2 minutes are just the guitar tracks, without the full mix, in faster succession. Definitely helps hear the subtle differences.
Last edited by the_bi99man at Jul 1, 2014,
haha, I love that video! Only problem was that I bought a dimebucker after watching that video the first time, why did I think that was a good idea?
BKP Painkiller. I love that pickup to death, perfect djent pickup, yet I used it for everything else. Huge midrange growl, very tight low end, and crystal clear highs, had the most unique low end bite to it in a alder guitar. I regret selling it, but plan on getting another one to toss into another strat.

Since your guitar is mahogany, you'll want the Painkiller over the Aftermath simply cause it's brighter, the aftermath is a bit darker in my opinion.
BKP Painkiller, Aftermath, or Juggernaught would be a good choice. The DiMarzio Titan is a good and also less expensive choice.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Quote by gorgthemeatpile
BKP Painkiller, Aftermath, or Juggernaught would be a good choice. The DiMarzio Titan is a good and also less expensive choice.

That's why I was thinking about the Titans, because they're cheaper. I just love the BKP's though!
The Titans are awesome. I played a set a while back and fell in love with them.

I was able to dial in a good djent tone last night using my Eclipse with SD Black Winters. I was totally blown away by how clear they sound on the low strings when using a boost and a noise gate. I would definitely recommend them along with the Pegasus/Sentient combo.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+