Quite often when I tell people I'm a guitarist, a response along these lines follows: "Oh cool, how good are you?" Frankly, I'm not entirely certain how one should go about answering this. This question always comes from non musicians. Do you be humble and say "Oh I'm not that good?" People take your word for it. Or do you tell them you're great? Or just okay? Frankly they won't get a good, accurate answer unless they hear you play and judge for themselves. Have you ever been asked this and if so how do you answer? It's kind of a stupid question, but go with it.

Edit: Also, there's no definitive system of determine how good you actually are. It's all subjective really, making this question harder to answer.
Last edited by evhledzep5150 at Jul 1, 2014,
I tend to start with, "well, I can play."

If more discussion is required I might name a few songs and, if the opportunity presents itself, play a few bars of something.
Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute
Boss TU-3, NS-2, CS-3, OD-3, CE-5
Ibanez DL10
Fender Blues Junior III
Delta Blue 5 string resonator banjo
Aria Pro II Passive P-J Bass
Aria Pro II Active Music Man Bass
Laney BC-120 Bass Combo
Be honest.

Claiming grandeur I find acceptable if one has the skill to demonstrate.
^

I tend to say... "eh, I'm alright... ish"

I never know how to answer it, either. I don't want to come across arrogant or claim I'm amazing (because I'm not), but I don't really want to put myself down, either (because as you said, people take your word for it if you say you suck).

It might come across dickish but I really want to say, "There's no way I can answer that and not seem either really arrogant or falsely modest unless my assessment of my abilities coincides exactly with yours..."

I don't think people realise the position they put you in when they ask you. It'd never occur to me to ask anyone if they were any good, regardless of the hobby or whatever they claim to do.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 1, 2014,
I usually tell them "That's a difficult question to answer but I can play many styles." and then I list the stuff I like to play like classical guitar, pop, metal, latin rock and such & such.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

I got asked that question once. My response was, "Well, define good, I mean..."

Person: "Can you bust out a Slash solo?"

Me: "Which one?"
"I'm OK, but not as good as I'd like to be"
"I can play a few chords"
"Some people have said so"
or depending on the circumstances "Well, put it this way, if I took you back to my room to play for you, you'd be naked by the third song."

Those are a few answers I have given to the "are you any good" question.

Though often if a friend is around they answer for me with excessive superlatives that I have to play down hard because they are biased and rate me waaaay higher than I actually deserve. -The truth is I'm only OK and have a long way yet to go.
Si
Quote by mdc
I got asked that question once. My response was, "Well, define good, I mean..."

Person: "Can you bust out a Slash solo?"

Me: "Which one?"

Ah, the old "answer a question with a question" approach. Good strategy
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I always say, "Yeah I play a little bit..." and smile, and downplay it. Always. I'll let others rave about me, if they wish. I'll let my playing speak for itself. Or, "I don't know, I'll let you judge..." if they are about to see me play live.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jul 2, 2014,
I don't really like this question either, but I usually say something like, "Eh, I guess I'm pretty good." with a tone of voice that's kinda hesitant, to let them know I don't think I'm the greatest, but that I'm still confident enough in my abilities to say "pretty good". I then tell them how long I've been playing to give them a rough idea. (currently 9 years)
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Jul 2, 2014,
I mostly hear "What songs can you play?"
"Ok I'll sum up every song I've learnt since I was 8. This should only take a few days"
I tell people the truth, that I suck at guitar. I usually tell them I play at guitar rather than playing guitar.

Serves to appropriately lower expectations...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin