Hi everyone, I'm not a beginner myself, but yesterday, my fiancé asked me to show her how to do some stuff on the guitar. I managed to get her some basic chords down, and obviously the stuff like how to hold it. She had a massive smile on her face all the way through, and said she wants to learn!

She was playing my cheap, old 3/4 acoustic which weighs nothing, and when she tried my LTD MH1000, she loved the fretboard as it was smaller and felt more comfortable, but hated the weight!

What should I get her? I was thinking a Semi acoustic, as it will be lighter, with a thin neck?

But then she really likes the Les paul shape, and they are heavy, any good LP copies that are lighter than standard?

Thanks, Conan.
yeah normally semi-hollows are lighter.

you might not have to go semi-hollow, though, some solids are on the lighter side, too.

how heavy is your LTD? Also how much are you willing to spend, as SM00^ said?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
id check the PRS SE single-cut away. they are good guitars and fairly light. they also have semi hollow version i believe... and they are pretty. chicks need pretty guitars.
Shes willing to spend up to £400, and not sure of my LTD's weight, I know the body is mahogany though, I guess thats a heavy wood?

Definitely want one with a thin neck though, she found it much more comfortable (small hands).

At the moment she likes the Ibanez CLM1 and the Epiphone ES 339 in cherry red, so as you can tell, they style does not really matter, just one that stands out to her.

I think it will be best to go to the local guitar dealer and try out a few there, any more suggestions for any?
Quote by Warrior2014
Hi everyone, I'm not a beginner myself, but yesterday, my fiancé asked me to show her how to do some stuff on the guitar. I managed to get her some basic chords down, and obviously the stuff like how to hold it. She had a massive smile on her face all the way through, and said she wants to learn!
Awww.

Well IMO something like a Luna is perfect

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/luna-athena-series-hollow-body-white/35436
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by Warrior2014
(a) Shes willing to spend up to £400, (b) and not sure of my LTD's weight, (c) I know the body is mahogany though, I guess thats a heavy wood?

(d) Definitely want one with a thin neck though, she found it much more comfortable (small hands).

At the moment she likes the Ibanez CLM1 and the Epiphone ES 339 in cherry red, so as you can tell, they style does not really matter, just one that stands out to her.

I think it will be best to go to the local guitar dealer and try out a few there, any more suggestions for any?

(a) sweet, that's not a bad budget

(b) weigh it, maybe? if the weight thing is important enough that it's a problem, that'd probably be worth doing. (I've never got round to weighing any of my guitars )

(c) not necessarily. some of the lightest solidbody guitars I've played have been all-mahogany. Good quality mahogany, and also smaller/thinner body shapes, tend to be light. les paul DC specials and jrs, SGs and the like (and similar style guitars from other makers) are often very light indeed.

(d) that might be tricky with a semi-hollow, but it does depend on exactly what she means by "thin". If she means "ibanez wizard", then yeah, tricky. If she means "gibson 60s profile" then that's probably achievable with a semihollow (I guess, I haven't looked into this that much).

I haven't tried them, but from what I hear the squier classic vibes have pretty thin necks. there's a thinline tele in that range that might be worth a look. Unless she knows she wants a semi, though, personally I'd try to check out some lighter solidbodies first, just in case they're light enough.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Dean Zelinsky Zenyatta might be a winner- a slender necked LP clone that is 7-8lbs, with a very flattened body- about the thickness of a smartphone at the edge:

http://deanzelinsky.com/collections/zenyatta
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!