Page 1 of 2
and does sincerity actually matter?
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Jul 1, 2014,
I'd give my opinion but you wouldn't be able to comprehend its essence.

#topbanana #beneaththepeel2deep4u
BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

I SAY, I SAY, BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

They say when they finally attack, all the impostors will peel themselves. In order to tell if you have been assimilated, check for a zipper somewhere near your pelvis.

for sure

but last time i spoke about pretentiousness on here in the film thread they all had mental ideas of what it was
At least pretentiousness is being honest.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
I think people use the word wrong most of the time

"attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed"

If you happen to just have eclectic taste, you are not pretentious.
If you equate taste to self-worth, then you are pretentious.

I get caught into this a lot. I listen to a lot of different music and studied philosophy, so I am often referencing authors or songs, but it's because I'm a nerd... and I definitely have no intention of making anyone feel bad with it. That being said, people often think I am being an asshole rather than a simple lame-o.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

If you get called pretentious for knowing a few authors or artists then you are hanging out with the wrong people.

@OP Yes, of course.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
if you can argue for it then sure.
but a lot of people seems to use "prentious" without really being able to back it up with anything more than a subject opinion of dislike towards the band/artist in the end rather than a more factual statement of it being pretentious/yada yada
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by vintage x metal

"attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed"

I get caught into this a lot. I listen to a lot of different music and studied philosophy, so I am often referencing authors or songs, but it's because I'm a nerd... and I definitely have no intention of making anyone feel bad with it. That being said, people often think I am being an asshole rather than a simple lame-o.

I agree with this.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Yes yes yes yes yes

Sincerity (in opposition to pretentiousness) matters to me because I like knowing what people are thinking and sincerity is a way of expressing that
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Jul 1, 2014,
Quote by Arby911
I agree with this.

glad you agree with google, pretentious
Quote by Dreadnought
It can be, yes

pretentious
Quote by willT08
for sure

but last time i spoke about pretentiousness on here in the film thread they all had mental ideas of what it was

pretentious
Quote by Nero Galon
At least pretentiousness is being honest.

super pretentious
Quote by vintage x metal

pretentious
Quote by N_J_B_B
If you get called pretentious for knowing a few authors or artists then you are hanging out with the wrong people.

@OP Yes, of course.

properly pretentious
Quote by Eastwinn
absolutely

pretentious w/ context
Quote by Thrashtastic15
glad you agree with google, pretentious

pretentious

pretentious

super pretentious

pretentious

properly pretentious

pretentious w/ context

pretentious
Pretty pretentious question.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
No, I judge people based on how similar they are to me.
The greater the similarity, the more of a total ****ing **** they are.

Metal is like an apple. Everything is good except for the core
Quote by shawnkenneth
Pretty pretentious question.

pretentious much? dont answer itll be pretentious
Like others have said, if you can elaborate why you think something is pretentious, then yes, it's a legitimate criticism.

Usually I see it used by people who see something that's different from what they're used to, or it's "artsy", and they didn't like it or get it, then they say it's pretentious.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you" is my response to that.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
pretentious much? dont answer itll be pretentious

I won't answer. But I will state that that's really pretentious too.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

I find this thread to be shallow and pedantic.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

no

and it is such a misused term amongst you dumbasses

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Actually, this is all subjective.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by deadsmileyface
you're not a philosopher okay

That is subjective too.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by guitarxo
Yes yes yes yes yes

Sincerity (in opposition to pretentiousness) matters to me because I like knowing what people are thinking and sincerity is a way of expressing that

When you get here I'm buying you a drink for this. But like a juice box cuz I'm broke.

Quote by ErikLensherr
"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you" is my response to that.

retweet

I got called pretentious for referencing this quote once: the most retweeted quote in the world. To be fair, I am very pretentious

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Usually I see it used by people who see something that's different from what they're used to, or it's "artsy", and they didn't like it or get it, then they say it's pretentious.

Now you're being arrogant.

This thread will be fun.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jul 1, 2014,
People can be pretentious, art can't.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by neidnarb11890
"pretentious" is a refuge for philistines.
all bad poetry is sincere.

nah. using "pretentious" against a work of art infers that you know the intentions of the artist, who anyway is dead. that's shit, yeah, but pretentious is a perfectly fine word to criticize those who deceive you into thinking there's more to them than there truly is. on a grand scale since i'd insist we all do that.
i don't know why i feel so dry
^no true self innit
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I think that furries have a certain hold on society as a pure culture. Furries understand the concept of empathy and love as opposed to others who do not conform to Furry culture. In retrospect i'd assume as fact that those who do condone Furry culture to be as bad as Hitler and female rape (men, do not get raped, this is true as well).
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

This thread will be fun.

He's pretty much right, though. "Pretentious" is the go-to criticism for someone who's frustrated by something being outside their comfort zone but who can't actually formulate a criticism of the thing.

Quote by Eastwinn
nah. using "pretentious" against a work of art infers that you know the intentions of the artist, who anyway is dead. that's shit, yeah, but pretentious is a perfectly fine word to criticize those who deceive you into thinking there's more to them than there truly is. on a grand scale since i'd insist we all do that.

I can almost much go for this, though I don't really feel totally comfortable using pretentious to describe a person either, since only they (maybe) know what their intentions are in a given action or what actually constitutes their personality. I know I'm being vague/un-eloquent here but I just got home from college orientation and I've barely slept and I've been in a car for 7 hours so I apologize.

Anyways, when it comes to discussing art, pretentiousness is a horrible criticism. No good critic (or, at least, no good work of criticism) would ever use the term "pretentious" seriously to criticize a work of art. It's the laziest possible term to use for criticism.
People use it when they are too dumb to formulate actual criticism.

I am smart enough to formulate actual criticism.

I am great.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Ask Ian.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Page 1 of 2