I'm looking for a way to improve the recording/performing ability of my Yamaha FG730s, but I don't really know much about mics, pickups, recording gear, etc. Basically I'm wondering if I can use the LR Baggs Lyrics without a PA system. I've noticed a lot of people do so, but is the PA system absolutely necessary, or can I just install the mic in my acoustic and be good to go?
Quote by mogan777
I'm looking for a way to improve the recording/performing ability of my Yamaha FG730s, but I don't really know much about mics, pickups, recording gear, etc. Basically I'm wondering if I can use the LR Baggs Lyrics without a PA system. I've noticed a lot of people do so, but is the PA system absolutely necessary, or can I just install the mic in my acoustic and be good to go?
I'm not sure I fully understand the scope, intent, or perhaps syntax, of your question. I mean, you have to hook any mic or pickup to something, don't you? Whether it be the sound board (PA), an independent acoustic amp, or an audio interface to your computer. Otherwise, what would be the point of having it? You can pretty much hook it to the input of whatever audio amplification system that's handy. For best results with many aftermarket pickups, you may have to install a stomp box preamp from the pickup to boost the signal, if you're using long cable runs (*).

(*) This is why factory acoustic pickups have the onboard EQ / preamp, for signal boost, tone sculpting, and to raise the signal levels well above the noise threshold ..
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 1, 2014,