Hey guys... new to the forums. Haven't worked on a guitar since I was 17 (20yrs ago) but came across a slightly mamed Washburn N2 the other day at a flea market that I managed to scoop up for $10 and thought it be fun to fix/mod it.

I'm looking to get a Wilkinson and some ferrules and have the strings go through the body. Using wood to fill in the old cavities where the Floyd Rose once sat (Floyd was missing when I bought it, cavity on the front already filled, and they tried to do a Les Paul type bridge setup but set about 1" too far back).

Where I'm having issue is with the top nut. Right now it's the chrome locking nut from the Floyd. I'd like to have locking tuners and just a regular nut but, it's a big gap to fill on the neck.

My options are

1 - Get another locking nut, because I want black, but no fine tuners and not a fan

2 - Get a roller top nut. Downside is that the tops of the rollers are about 1/8" back from the edge of the fret board... if I get one, to keep intonation, I guess I'd have to measure exactly how far back the roller is, and cut that off the end of the fret board and shift the roller nut forward.

3 - Ebanol. I like the idea of them, but, not a fan of the $30 price tag. I expected to see a lot of knock-offs on eBay but (unless under another name) it seems that Allparts is the only one that sells them.

I'm looking to put locking tuners on it, a roller Wilkinson style bridge, and through the body ferrules... so option 1 is a last type resort deal.

Again, just a cheap rebuild for fun... I haven't played in 20yrs so mostly buying the made in China eBay parts... anyone have any helpful advice?

Would a roller nut sit too far back if I don't cut into the board? are there cheaper ebanols in the $10 range?

Thanks.
Last edited by THRobinson at Jul 1, 2014,
Don't put the locks on. You're not using a trem, so it shouldn't matter. Get the replacement locking nut, and just leave off the locks. I did this with a guitar I blocked way back in the day. didn't have any problems.
Too bad you can't find a cheaper Ebanol solution. I never even heard of those before now. Great idea.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Was going to say the same thing, I ran a hardtail Jackson RR3 with a neck off of a Floyded Jackson, I just left off the locks. Never had an intonation or tuning problem or anything of the sort. Might even be able to paint your current nut although I've had mixed results when doing so.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Found the ebanol kinda by accident... it's a great idea... but, for what it is, again, I expected to see a $10 eBay version online, and lots of them. Even on eBay when I search ebanol, only 2 show up (different sizes) and from the same seller which I think is Allparts eBay shop.

Which is also a bummer, because being in Canada, I get stuck with shipping and duty. :S

I debated just a direct swap with a black locking nut, but a few forums in my reading made it sound like it sometimes works, sometimes not so much... figured I'd do some final research today and finally order all the parts so I can get started on the project.
Painting may work, though I'd do some slight sanding first, maybe the smooth chrome won't hold paint very well.
Those are my mixed results, I've had one that looks like it came that way and another that the paint didn't hold well and chipped off.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)