I've recently joined a band and we recorded an EP and have started getting attention looking for us to start gigging. Unfortunately for me I don't have a live rig. The entire EP was recorded with a Line 6 POD HD (desktop) for guitar and bass and a single mic for drums/vox out of our drummers attic. I need to get a live rig that can replicate (at least closely match) the tones we got out of my POD HD. Here's a song off our EP to give you an idea of what I need.

Sunwalker - Wander

6 string = Drop B
7 string = Drop Bb

Is there anyway I can use my Pod HD desktop live?

TLDR:
Style: Progressive Metal/Melodic hardcore drop tunings with <Djenty> sections
Budget: Hopefully looking to keep it under $1200
Last edited by PRSLover17 at Jul 1, 2014,
why not use the POD with a midi controller? Use a powered cab and you're set
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Here you go. 1000w, 126db, 34 lbs A good live companion for your Pod:
http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=2583
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
We've already tried the route of a powered speaker. It was 1000w and could hardly be heard over our drummer and not at all once I was thrown into the mix with another guitarist, bassist, and vox.

Care to elaborate on the midi controller? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to live sound. I've never needed anything more than a practice amp
Last edited by PRSLover17 at Jul 1, 2014,
Quote by bluestratplayer
why not use the POD with a midi controller? Use a powered cab and you're set

The desktop version doesn't have MIDI, just Line 6's proprietary FBV connector. So his only choices are the FBV Express & Shortboard, which pop up on Craigslist quite frequently.

As for a powered speaker, it depends on your budget, but the Alto TS115A is amazing for the price.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
For that money you could get a power amp, guitar cab, and foot controller
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
For that money you could get a power amp, guitar cab, and foot controller

Any suggestions, sounding good is much more important than sounding loud.
Where are you located? We could scan your Craigslist for options.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Personally, I would probably just get a 6505 + cab, Mesa triple rec is within budget too some on GC for $800-900 so either stretch a bit for good mesa cab or shop around for a good cab with left over budget
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Power amps are tricky. They are often much, much less loud than their wattage would lead you to believe. I have an Electro-Voice ZLX15P myself, and yeah... not as loud as I was hoping.

You can't go wrong with a real tube amp though, in terms of sitting well in a band mix. It doesn't really even need to be big or fancy, since you'll just run the POD into the FX Return anyway.

Off the top of my head, check out the Peavey ValveKing. They can be had for like $200. Then get a nice cab. The Marshall 1960A can usually be had really cheap as well, around $300 used. Check out Guitar Center used, there's a huge amount of stuff on there. Shipping and tax is expensive, just a heads up, but you can usually still come out with a good deal.

An FBV Shortboard Mk.II usually runs around $100, and the tiny one usually half that. Depending on what you need in your controller.

I would try to figure out some way to secure the POD Bean to the top of the amp so it doesn't fall off during the show. Maybe Velcro, but I have a POD HD Bean myself, and it's kind of weird shaped. Idk. Something to think about though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ohferchrissakes.

Stick the Pod HD Desktop in your backline. Get an FBV Express ($99) or Shortboard($199) from Line 6 for out front. I use both; with the Express, you just have to change channels manually on the Desktop between songs; you change banks (or is it the other way around?). All you need is an Ethernet cable running from the footboard to the Pod HD. Your guitar plugs directly into the Pod in the backline. There are no other cables running out front, and no wall warts, etc. required. No MIDI programming, yada yada.

You can output to any power amp and set of full-range speakers.

I have an HD1500 (1500W Carvin power amp) pushing a pair of fEARless F115s or fEARful 15/6/1's. The F115s will go on speaker stands, work as a stack (buy them with reversed baffles) or as a floor monitor. These were originally designed as full-range bass cabinets, so you get bass response down to the 40's. I also recommend an HPF that does a 24 dB cutoff below 35Hz. If you can't afford the fEARless F115s (available from authorized builders) or the fEARful 15/6/1s (the 15/6/1 can be put together as a DIY project -- check with speakerhardware.com ), then check out the Carvin LS1503. About $269 each. Buy two (they'll handle 800W each and have a 15" LF, 6" mids and a 1" HF driver).

You need to be feeding into something that will produce bottom end, so a guitar cabinet is NOT going to cut it. Period.

You can additionally (or instead) go directly to the PA mixer and out from there. Have the sound guys get you a good wedge and you're good to go. If you've got a good PA (and subs), this is perhaps the *best* way to go, actually.

And by the way, you're going to want to mike your drummer differently.

An aside: The little powered speakers (single 10" or 12" with a tweeter) that claim 1000W are usually talking about peak or program power, and one of them even claims that it devotes 500W to the LF driver and 500W to the HF end of things -- that's just a silly division of power -- but none of them actually gets anything like that horsepower to the ground.
Quote by Offworld92

An FBV Shortboard Mk.II usually runs around $100, and the tiny one usually half that. Depending on what you need in your controller.

I would try to figure out some way to secure the POD Bean to the top of the amp so it doesn't fall off during the show. Maybe Velcro, but I have a POD HD Bean myself, and it's kind of weird shaped. Idk. Something to think about though.

The Shortboard is about double that figure.

The Pod HD (bean) can be put on a tilted stand (available from Line 6) that can be tucked under the handle of a small guitar amp OR that can be secured to a mike stand, so you can have it up near eye level. This one is mounted on a mike stand:

Last edited by dspellman at Jul 1, 2014,
Quote by dspellman
Long ass post

OR just get a head and cab
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by dspellman
The Shortboard is about double that figure.

No it's not: http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm?page=1&sort=price&dir=asc&srch&q=fbv&distance=100

As for the stand that would be good if he goes with those sounds through the PA or a powered cab instead on a head and cab
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Last edited by bluestratplayer at Jul 1, 2014,
Quote by bluestratplayer

Okay, used vs. new. I'm a big proponent of buying foot pedals new ever since I picked up a used one and found that two of the switches were dead/dying <G>.

The stand's bottom tucks under the handle of a head (or a combo amp) if you use one of those.
Its a footswitch, its made to be stomped on. Ive never had a single pedal or amp footswitch fail.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
Its a footswitch, its made to be stomped on. Ive never had a single pedal or amp footswitch fail.

I've had several go. Because you've never had it happen doesn't mean that it won't. And I've had bandmates have them go out as well (so it's not just MY foot). These include anything from a normal stomp box to some fairly high end (TC Electronic G system comes to mind) gear. Some are simply more "made to be stomped on" than others. I've got two of those flap-top 12-gallon bins full of FX pedals (and a third one is about 1/4 full), and I can show you exactly which switches have weak spots....unfortunately.

I carry a Shortboard with an Express as backup.
Just get the Line6 POD HD500X complete floor controller and run it 4 cable method with a good amp or use the patches you recorded for the ep and run it direct to the PA and get a monitor for yourself?
Jackson: DKMG w/Zakk Wylde EMGs
Fender: Fat Strat HSS
Epiphone: Les Paul Custom w/SD Pickups
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe
If you couldn't hear it with a big powered PA bin (I think dspellman was probably right about it not being as big as you think) you must have had it in a shitty spot. Stick it on a stand and you should be fine. You had it on the floor, didn't you?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Dazzl1113
Just get the Line6 POD HD500X complete floor controller and run it 4 cable method with a good amp or use the patches you recorded for the ep and run it direct to the PA and get a monitor for yourself?

He already has a POD (presumably) with the patches used for recording though. Getting an HD500X would not be a financially sound decision.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by bluestratplayer

Yes to a point, but I have owned a L6 FBV shortboard for 8-9yrs (MkI) and I have had one of the channel buttons go bad and another that will engage or disengage when ever.

So I would really try to buy that new, however if your on a serious budget you can't get better prices than used.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by PRSLover17
We've already tried the route of a powered speaker. It was 1000w and could hardly be heard over our drummer and not at all once I was thrown into the mix with another guitarist, bassist, and vox.

Perhaps you didn't have your gain set at unity? I have heard these EVs alongside another JBL powered speaker and they were loud as hell. Way louder than any drum kit. 126db is full 100w Marshall stack loud... Black Sabbath concert loud. Use as many powered speakers as you need to get as loud as you want. You could go with a full concert line array if you wish and loudness is essentially unlimited.

1 quality powered speaker from EV, JBL, QSC or Mackie properly fed with a line level signal is as loud as any single guitar amp ever built.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jul 2, 2014,
Quote by PRSLover17
Can you tell me a little more by what you mean by gain unity?

Getting proper gain into a power amp or powered speaker is important. Every system has a method they recommend and it's usually found in the manual. The Cliff's notes version:

Play your loudest most in-your-face Pod patch with guitar wide open. Turn up the gain on your pod and/or amp input until you just see clipping (red clip light or other indicator). turn the gain down 3db. Now you have optimized the gain signal between your Pod and the amp for full power and maximum signal to noise ratio without clipping= Unity gain.

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jul 2, 2014,
Call me old fashioned, but it's usually simpler to get a properly dialed in tube amp to punch in the mix, than to deal with floor modeling units (although some people do it successfully). The reason I suggest this is because a $1,200 budget would allow for some reasonable options on the amp market, especially if you go used. A Mesa Boogie Rectoverb would be pretty nice and have decent cleans to boot. If you got the combo, you'd even have room to purchase an overdrive to boost your front end (to tighten up the bass for those low string parts) and a delay pedal for those clean bits. That's just me though.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5