Hey all, I recently bought my first electric (Gibson SGJ) and amp (Fender Mustang i v2). I've been playing around with a lot of the settings through the fuse software. I'm still tweaking settings and having fun with it, but I haven't gotten the greatest distortion from it. I don't know if its me or the amp, but I was looking around at used pedals and I found a number of used ones for pretty cheap. They seem to be pretty good deals, and I was considering picking one up if it would make an improvement for my sound. I don't play in a band and don't plan on gigging, its just for me but I want to have fun. Here is the list of pedals I could get. Also, if I get the Catalinbread or Fulltone for $100, the seller would throw in the boss for free. Should I consider of any these, or do I need to spend more time fooling with my amp? I tried comparing these online, but I can't differentiate the subtitles too well on my laptop speakers and a lot of reviews seem very subjective.

Catalinbread DLS v3
Fulltone OCD
Boss DS-1
Digitech Hardwire SC-2
Guitars:
Mitchell MD-100SCE Acoustic/electric
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

my tube preamp project idea
A pedal through that amp is a waste of time and money IMO. Get a good amp instead, or tweak the modelling amp.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Fair enough, I got it as a jack-of-all-trades type of amp, instead of getting a good amp and spending more money on pedals. I guess that plan kinda backfired cause I'm still wanting to buy more stuff, huh . For a total newbie like myself, should I stick with this amp and play around with all the various settings, upgrading whenever I deem it necessary to get a better sounding amp, or jump the gun and get one now (more future proof)?
Guitars:
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

Well, its not future proof since modelling amps usually don't take pedals well for one and pedals sound different with different amps, so its better to get your base tone down first with your amp before buying pedals IMO. As for the amp, if you don't want to invest in an amp I would save the pedal money and start putting back money when you can so that when you want to invest you will be able to get a nice amp, and for now, just tweak and do the best you can with what you have available until you can afford a good amp. Just know, there are more and more good tube amps getting cheaper all the time, so you may not have to fork over the kind of money you would think to get a good improvement on tone. All that said, you are the one that has to choose when you are ready to move forward, I would suggest that if its a craft you believe you will continue, its worth investing in. A good amp can encourage you to practice more and play more which can help you improve as a player. I see you have been a member since 2008, so I would assume that this is something you are willing to put the time into, and if you buy a used tube amp and shop around, usually you can at least get your money back on the worst case and maybe come out with a bit of profit if you choose to sell later
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Yeah I bought my acoustic back in 08, I'd have fun with it, but never played too seriously. Now that I got my electric I plan on sticking with it, and so far I have been playing daily trying to improve. I'm glad tube amp prices are coming down, I'll look into it for sure. Thanks for your advice, and for saving me the cash I would have spend on pedals.
Guitars:
Gibson SGJ 2014

Yeah, pedals are great, and many would probably work great later, but take it for someone that has tried to jump the gun on these things, it is much better to invest in amp first when you can. Cash gets spread too thin if you do too much at once and even though it could give a slight improvement, you may find you waste money in long run with little gain if any. So enjoy the Mustang, they aren't that bad for a beginning amp and can surely get some sounds for a beginning musician. I played acoustic from 5 years of age to 14 years of age on an old Yamaha acoustic and my first electric was an $80 dollar silvertone into a $40 dean markley acoustic amp my parents couldn't afford and bought anyway. Just stay inspired and stick with it, and be smart with your money.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
if i'm not mistaken you can download stuff from the fender site for that amp. distortion pedal through a clean amp setting may get you what you want but not the best way to spend money. as mentioned pedals often don't play nice with modellers. if you want a pedal get a wha. spend some more time with the amp and don't forget to try different EQ settings as they make a difference.