I play a mostly metal, but I get into ska, blues and classic rock. My tone comes from a BOSS ME-25 which im currently using headphones for. I do not need to sound professional by any means, but it would be nice to have some sort of low wattage (1-5 watts) tube amp that I could use with the multi fx pedal for recording whatever dumb projects I wanna do. I'm looking at like the cheapest available, under 200$, I'm
willing to go used.

Also, for my needs and to save money, would a tube amp even really matter? Considering I will almost never push it past literally bedroom volumes (I have a baby) I've heard that modeling solid states do not take pedals well, what about like a cheap randall?
"Any statement beginning with the words 'In truth' is almost always a lie."

The Legion
Do you actually want to be heard acoustically?

If not, and you sell your Boss, you might be able to swing a used Line 6 POD HD500 (usually around $250-300), which can be used for direct recording and sounds pretty professional.

If you do want to be heard, check out the Peavey Vypyr VIP-2. You can still sell your Boss and try to get something like a Sanpera I, or a II if you can swing it. Shouldn't be hard if you go used. Just search on Guitar Center, they have tons of used stuff for good prices. Just be aware that tax and shipping will add up and take it into account.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have a baby and I play 100 watt mesa and she smiles when I play as my five year old head bangs. You don't have to be THAT quiet, but I get not wanting to shake walls too. Do you have an amp at all right now? If not, you may find a 112 valveking combo for close to that money.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
The boss can also be used for recording, and I'm just looking for something to amplify the sound so that I won't be limited to headphones.

The Legion
Quote by Offworld92
Do you actually want to be heard acoustically?

If not, and you sell your Boss, you might be able to swing a used Line 6 POD HD500 (usually around $250-300), which can be used for direct recording and sounds pretty professional.

If you do want to be heard, check out the Peavey Vypyr VIP-2. You can still sell your Boss and try to get something like a Sanpera I, or a II if you can swing it. Shouldn't be hard if you go used. Just search on Guitar Center, they have tons of used stuff for good prices. Just be aware that tax and shipping will add up and take it into account.

To build on that, you could sell the boss, I've seen quite a few Tube Vypyr 60s for around $200 or so used on GC used. Would still give you better modelling and a much better overall sound. Later you could add a Sanpera footswitch that was mentioned
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by mikeYekim
The boss can also be used for recording, and I'm just looking for something to amplify the sound so that I won't be limited to headphones.

Im pretty sure the Pod he suggested can be used for recording as well, I do know the sounds from it are much better too so not much to lose there
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
^ What I was getting at is that I don't think the Boss is very good and that your funds could be re-allocated better.

If you want to keep it, that's okay too.

If you JUST want to amplify it, look at something like a powered monitor. That way you won't get any coloration from the amp, and you'll just get your Boss tone, but amplified.

Something like this maybe. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Nady-PM-200A-Powered-Personal-Stage-Monitor-609027-i1323345.gc

Better yet, maybe studio monitors would be a better way to go. Since they will be incredibly useful for recording in general.

These are probably pretty good for the price. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Presonus-Eris-4-5-High-Definition-2-Way-4-5--Nearfield-Studio-Monitors-109576801-i3329988.gc
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Does the me25 have any sorta amp modeling? If you have some sort of amp modeling a powered speaker would be a good way to go, imo. Plug a mic into it and let the kids sing along.

If you just want a lil tube amp, check out a used Epiphone Valve Jr. They go for dirt cheap ($80-$120) and I can say from experience they get along with Boss MEs.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Recording monitors or a powered wedge.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
I decided to follow your advice and I'm selling the Boss. Will a Pod HD500 be that much of an improvement? I've never gotten to try one out. Right now I'm on the fence about getting a 5 watt tube, something like a Blackstar ht5, and getting a few pedals to push it. I owned a Valveking and it wasn't what I was looking for, for high gain anyway, even boosted I felt it just lacked something. Then I saw the new line6 amplifi, after a bunch of research it seems perfect for a hobby bedroom amp, as it's no good for gigging at all, but then recording with it would be ridiculous with 5 speakers.

The Legion
The Boss does have amp modeling. You could get a decent used stereo cheap off Craigslist and use it with any multifx. It works really well. If you can listen to music off a stereo then there is no reason you can't listen to your guitar with modeling.

If you put some thought into it, you can get a mixer and a stereo with a tape monitor loop or preamp out/power amp in to place the mixer. Then you can play along with songs on the stereo, add other inputs like your buddy's guitar/multifx, microphone, drum machine, computer, etc...
Last edited by fly135 at Jul 7, 2014,
I think you can go budget tube and do really well with something like this + the speaker:
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/Kustom_defender/Kustom%20Defender15H_KustomDefenderGuitarSpeakerCabinet.htm

Having a little tube grit either way is fun and adds another dimension to the sound.

You can also get rid of the multifx or use only as fx and get a good /clean crunchamp and OD pedal, something like the Orange Tiny Terror or maybe one of the small Laney tube combos, VC15.
Last edited by diabolical at Jul 7, 2014,