I am doing a re fret on a guitar and just wondering should I use a radius bar to level the top of the rosewood fret board before installing the new frets .
It is not usually needed. When a fretboard needs a refret because the metal o the frets has worn away, all you need to replace or work on is the frets. Even if you have dips worn into your fretboard, those are between frets and not on frets so it doesn't actually hurt anything. The only times you need to sand the fretboard is if the guitar has been exposed to extreme conditions and has warped, it has been abused and warped, or it's been played enough the the fretboard grooves leach into where the frets are. Number 3 almost never happens and when I do see it, it's always on an 80 to 100 year old martin. If your are getting a refret and the refret is do to fret wear then chances are you don't need to sand the fretboard. If you are getting a refret because stuff is buzzing and you don't know why then there is a good chance you need to level the fretboard before adding new frets.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jul 2, 2014,
Quote by CorduroyEW
It is not usually needed. When a fretboard needs a refret because the metal o the frets has worn away, all you need to replace or work on is the frets. Even if you have dips worn into your fretboard, those are between frets and not on frets so it doesn't actually hurt anything. The only times you need to sand the fretboard is if the guitar has been exposed to extreme conditions and has warped, it has been abused and warped, or it's been played enough the the fretboard grooves leach into where the frets are. Number 3 almost never happens and when I do see it, it's always on an 80 to 100 year old martin. If your are getting a refret and the refret is do to fret wear then chances are you don't need to sand the fretboard. If you are getting a refret because stuff is buzzing and you don't know why then there is a good chance you need to level the fretboard before adding new frets.
thanks for your help.!

In regards to replacing frets this will be my first time doing this type of job although
I have done fret leveling and re crowing frets on a few guitars , I have a few questions about the job .
What if the fret slot is deeper than the height of the fret tang? what is the perfect placement for the fret tang to be ? should the tang ever dig in to the wood or should the fret slot be a little bigger than the tang ?
Last edited by dazzzer30 at Jul 3, 2014,
Custom builders will often glue their frets in (usually using titebond or the equivalent) in addition to simply pressing them in. This fills the tang cavity (helps eliminate "dead" frets) and helps insure that you won't have flyer frets later.
I think what could be a problem is if i do need to make the fret slot deeper finding a tool that with cut the slot, and i cant just use a saw as the guitar has biinding.
Quote by dazzzer30
I think what could be a problem is if i do need to make the fret slot deeper finding a tool that with cut the slot, and i cant just use a saw as the guitar has biinding.

Hosco and Stewmac both sell saws that will do the job.

Honestly though, you shouldn't need to if you're not sanding the fingerboard and replacing the fret wire like-for-like.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Hosco and Stewmac both sell saws that will do the job.

Honestly though, you shouldn't need to if you're not sanding the fingerboard and replacing the fret wire like-for-like.
thanks that looks idea for the job !

I am in two minds about sanding the fret board having looked at the neck it seems to have a slight twist and a few uneven parts along the fret board but i would say nothing major . Its an ~Epip les paul guitar and i might as well give it a sand why the frets are off seem the best logic .