View poll results: Torture penalty:
Yay
11 13%
Nay
74 87%
Voters: 85.
Page 1 of 2
READ THIS SHIZZLE FIRST BEFORE VOTING

Why can't we have torture as a form of punishment in prisons?

I don't mean torture in the traditional sense, I mean "lighter" forms of torture, with no permanent injuries done to the body (piercing/pulling/etc... would count as permanent injury), and only for more serious cases, like murderers, rapists, child molesters...

I mean, the death penalty is still being used in some places...

I think the rate of these kinds of crime would drop.
And besides, the death penalty doesn't seem to be working, does it?

--------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: I thought "Wouldn't a form of torture be more effective than a death penalty, I mean, I think it's scarier than a death penalty..."

I'm not in favor of either of those things, I just wanted to see what were your thoughts on this.

I posted this here without really taking the time to properly explain myself. This happened before, I should be more careful with that.
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Jul 2, 2014,
If the death penalty was used more and there weren't so much bs money and paperwork and court things surrounding it, it would work wonderfully.
what do you possibly hope to accomplish by torturing prisoners?
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Wormholes
If the death penalty was used more and there weren't so much bs money and paperwork and court things surrounding it, it would work wonderfully.

The cost of an execution is 3 to 1.9 million dollars more than life in prison
Quote by Eastwinn

Obviously not rehabilitation
Quote by Minicaxotinho
I don't mean torture in the traditional sense, I mean "lighter" forms of torture, with no permanent injuries done to the body (piercing/pulling/etc... would count as permanent injury)
Oh, you mean like mental?
Oh yeah, there's a thing like that.

It's called prison.
Think it works something like that.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Eastwinn

Public fear, mainly. I know it wouldn't help if there were mental issues involved, but I think it would dissuade people from doing it, more than the death penalty is doing.
Quote by bifteksupernova
what kind of torture are you talking about then ?

I'm not well versed in torturing people, but things like electric shocks, sleep deprivation, ...

I don't know, doctors would decide that.
Quote by Minicaxotinho
Public fear, mainly. I know it wouldn't help if there were mental issues involved, but I think it would dissuade people from doing it, more than the death penalty is doing.

so you want a police state too yeah?

lemme tell you something crucial. torture is a-okay in some parts of the world and in history and it's a product and/or cause of oppression, genocide, and corruption. this is an extremely serious topic which you appear to be taking lightly and i don't appreciate it.
i don't know why i feel so dry
I think this is something thats just crossed your mind and you havent spent any longer than 3 seconds thinking about it.

Just sit there five minutes and actually think about what you are suggesting.

Do you really, HONESTLY, think that torture is the answer to crime? Do you think not letting someone sleep for a week will deter them from crime if the electric chair doesnt. Do you think the only reason that most people dont commit crime is fear of punishment? If we were free to do anything without fear of reprisal would everyone go round murdering everyone? Would YOU murder someone if it was consequence free?
Last edited by LivinJoke84 at Jul 2, 2014,
Quote by Eastwinn
so you want a police state too yeah?

lemme tell you something crucial. torture is a-okay in some parts of the world and in history and it's a product and/or cause of oppression, genocide, and corruption. this is an extremely serious topic which you appear to be taking lightly and i don't appreciate it.

I don't mean it like that.

Here's an example:

Some guys think it's a good idea to go on a drive-by (racial/cultural differences would be the motivator). Wouldn't they think twice if they knew they could get tortured?
Quote by Minicaxotinho
I don't mean it like that.

Here's an example:

Some guys think it's a good idea to go on a drive-by (racial/cultural differences would be the motivator). Wouldn't they think twice if they knew they could get tortured?

Are you 13?

See my other comment
Just f.y.i. something like that kind of already exists btw. Specifically, inmates like the one's you've mentioned try starving themselves to death but the guards come in and force the food down their throats via a tube.

Pretty sure that counts as torture.
And I'm PREEEEETY sure that's incredibly controversial.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Minicaxotinho
I'm not well versed in torturing people, but things like electric shocks, sleep deprivation, ...

I don't know, doctors would decide that.

Well just about any type of torture is going to have permanent physical and/or mental consequences. Sleep deprivation, starvation, white torture, and electric shock can and will leave permanent damage
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
Quote by LostLegion
If we torture rapists, are we any worse than them?

Even de Sade thought capital punishment, let alone torture, was incomprehensible
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
The threat of torture sounds more frightening than a painless lethal injection, so why not combine the two and re-introduce the firing squad ?

Everybody wins without anybody actually winning. No torture, still death penalty, but with more threat.

If only the real solution was so simple...
Quote by LivinJoke84
I think this is something thats just crossed your mind and you havent spent any longer than 3 seconds thinking about it.

Just sit there five minutes and actually think about what you are suggesting.

In fact I didn't think too much about it.
I'm not supporting it. I'm not pro-death penalty, and I'd rather see rehabilitation methods that actually work.

I wanted to see some opinions on the subject: If death penalty is used, why not replace it with a torture penalty?
Your country doesn't even have the death penalty.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I'm in favour od the death penalty, as long as it's something hilarious such as death by catapult.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by Minicaxotinho

I wanted to see some opinions on the subject: If death penalty is used, why not replace it with a torture penalty?

Instead of a prison sentence, why not replace it with hard labour?
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
What if they're actually innocent? You'll willingly torture someone who could be innocent?

The fact that courts can never be 100% accurate means that even life sentences in prison are harsh. Instead of this justice/revenge/punishment fetish our society has adopted, we should be focusing on preventing and rehabilitation. Look into the primary factors that cause crime, and address the problem at the source.

Its a stupid idea from start to finish, as is the death penalty.
Quote by Cianyx
Instead of a prison sentence, why not replace it with hard labour?

Now there's a thought.
Quote by Bladez22

Its a stupid idea from start to finish, as is the death penalty.

Unless it's done via death by catapult, right?
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by Minicaxotinho
In fact I didn't think too much about it.
I'm not supporting it. I'm not pro-death penalty, and I'd rather see rehabilitation methods that actually work.

You didnt answer my questions i raised
Quote by metacarpi

I prefer trebuchet, just for that little swingy bit at the start before it launches them.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by metacarpi

actually yeah, death by catapult would be quite funny

you've got to let the prisoner try and build wings though, like give them some wood and glue. If they manage to land then they're free
Quote by LivinJoke84
Do you really, HONESTLY, think that torture is the answer to crime? Do you think not letting someone sleep for a week will deter them from crime if the electric chair doesnt.

No, I don't think it's a solution to crime, I just think it would be a better deterrent than the death penalty. (Again, I'm not advocating either of those, I just wanted your opinions on this)

Do you think the only reason that most people dont commit crime is fear of punishment? If we were free to do anything without fear of reprisal would everyone go round murdering everyone? Would YOU murder someone if it was consequence free?

I'm sure several of the more violent crimes have roots in mental disturbances, but I think there's still a large percentage of "normal" individuals that do those things just because they're too dumb to know better, or they're just "protecting their turf", etc...

Different situations can trigger those crimes, in my opinion, and there doesn't have to be an underlying mental issue.
Quote by LostLegion
what developed country still uses the death penalty anyway?

USA (cue jokes about definition of "developed")
That was the entire joke
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Minicaxotinho
Didn't know about that :/

Getting an NG tube inserted isn't pleasant, even if you've consented to it.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
You know what's torture? Listening to somebody speak Portuguese. It's like a deaf person speaking Spanish.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
This is a bad thread made by a dumb person.

This feels like another thread I made, that turned into a shitstorm. I think the wording I use isn't the best.

My train of thought before making the thread:

-> Damn, violent crime sucks.
-> Even with a death penalty, violent crime still exists.
-> Torture is scarier than a death penalty.
-> If people are REALLY scared to go to jail, won't they reconsider committing a crime?
-> I wonder what other people think about this.
-> POST
->
Quote by Minicaxotinho
This feels like another thread I made, that turned into a shitstorm. I think the wording I use isn't the best.

My train of thought before making the thread:

-> Damn, violent crime sucks.
-> Even with a death penalty, violent crime still exists.
-> Torture is scarier than a death penalty.
-> If people are REALLY scared to go to jail, won't they reconsider committing a crime?
-> I wonder what other people think about this.
-> POST
->

Well then theres a lesson isnt there, engage brain before opening mouth
Page 1 of 2