I just recently bought a used esp ltd mh400 amd the bloke who i bought it from put a licenced floyd rose in it that is absolutly junk. I was just wondering did these models come out with the floyd rose special or a licenced under floyd rose bridge. I want to upgrade it to a gotoh or a floyd rose special, could someone tell me if its a drop in replacement? Thanks
Quote by yldljgtr
I just recently bought a used esp ltd mh400 amd the bloke who i bought it from put a licenced floyd rose in it that is absolutly junk. I was just wondering did these models come out with the floyd rose special or a licenced under floyd rose bridge. I want to upgrade it to a gotoh or a floyd rose special, could someone tell me if its a drop in replacement? Thanks

Should be.

All relevant patents expired in 2003, so there haven't been any more "licensed" Floyd Rose trems since then (old stock excepted, of course). There are still Floyd Rose copies being produced every day; it's just that the words "Licensed..." and "Floyd Rose" need no longer be added, nor are license fees required (so they may be even less expensive now).

Floyd Rose Specials are mostly sold only to large manufacturers, and are the same as the old OFR (Korean version) that was sold to large manufacturers like Gibson and Fender. I don't know that you can buy a Floyd Rose Special on its own.

You CAN buy the FRO (this is the German Schaller-made Floyd Rose Original -- note that the "O" comes after the "FR" now). You can also buy Schaller versions of the FR that have other designations (and are not sold through Floyd Rose). Gotoh's version is neither licensed nor sold through FR.

Recommendation: Buy and have installed one of the larger brass upgrade blocks. It'll make a noticeable difference in the tone of the guitar.
how old is the mh400? i'm guessing it probably had an FR-special or frt-x000, which (don't quote me) should be a direct swap for an OFR or schaller lockmeister. the gotoh studs are a little bigger, I think.

you should probably just measure your cavity (don't quote that out of context ) and compare it to the routing templates on the floyd rose, schaller and gotoh websites.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Im not 100% sure what year as i got it 2nd hand i think its 2008. I know a place that do sell floyd rose specials. I just read up about guitars having different routes and all and i dont want to buy it and it doesnt fit. I think the mh400 came out with a licenced floyd not the specials.
My MH400 has a Gotoh FR. Fits fine, and it's a GREAT trem.

And yes, MH-400s came with low profile LFRs.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
What, the nut?

I didn't buy a nut, I just used the already installed one. Saw no reason to replace it..
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yeah thanks mine is chrome atm and i want to change it to all black ill measure it up
Last edited by yldljgtr at Jul 3, 2014,
Quote by oneblackened
My MH400 has a Gotoh FR. Fits fine, and it's a GREAT trem.

did you use the studs? i think the actual gotoh trem is the same size but IIRC the studs are marginally bigger than on an OFR
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
did you use the studs? i think the actual gotoh trem is the same size but IIRC the studs are marginally bigger than on an OFR

I didn't install it, it was there when I bought it.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
ah ok
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Because the cavity fits a bigger trem than the Gotoh FR, and there's no damage to the finish anywhere.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Cool thanks. How hard is it to enlarge the hole for the gotoh posts? What about the floyd rose originals that you can get from ebay for 200 the made in germany ones are they still really good quality?
The Gotohs are on par with the OFRs.

I would like to note (I forgot to mention this) you need to get the 36 or 33mm block for the Gotoh - the 40mm sticks out the back a little (this doesn't bother me personally).
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by yldljgtr

I'm sorry that I have to resurrect the thread, but it just happens that I want to replace my wore off LFR on my LTD MH-400 and I have gotten quite excited with the Gotoh GE1996T (http://g-gotoh.com/international/product/ge1996t.html ).

I assume after about 2 years you have installed a new FR on your mh-400. In case you went with the Gotoh, I would be grateful if you could let me know whether it eventually fit or about any issues you may have had.

Just for some context, I got my mh-400 in 2008, but I think it was already a stock item, so it could as well be a 2004 model.... I have been told that the low-profile LFR that this model wears is a direct replacement for a Floyd Rose Pro, but I'm not sure why a e.g. OFR would not fit.

Thanks in advance for any assistance, this thread has been very helpful already....
Last edited by AlexPaz at Jun 4, 2016,
Alex - don't necro, start your own thread.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
maybe read the rules stickeys up top and the announcement on bumping old threads.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/announcement.php?f=33&announcementid=175
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/