So, here I am posting about gear, as I always do.

So I have an audition on Sunday for a pop punk band (I know, I'm doing nothing and
I'd rather play something than nothing

If that goes well I'll be looking at some tasty new gear to treat myself with.

The issue is it's all on Ebay and ends a day BEFORE my audition, so I have no way to know if I'm going to need it or not.

So, currently looking at an Engl Screamer and a 6505.

Current gear

Guitars:
Schecter ATX V (Tuned to Drop C sharp, because of vocalist)
Squier Vintage Modified Strat (Will be played possibly most, depending on how I feel)

Amplifiers
JCM 800 2203
Laney AOR

Cabs
Roadkill Stag 2X12 w/V30's

Pedals
Bad Monkey
Joyo Chorus
EHX Small stone phaser

Now on the Engl front, I have previously owned a Fireball and fell in love with the tone, but I found it really compressed and to be honest lacking in terms of the mids (So won't it be the same here?)

Bare it in mind the other guitarist (I know them pretty well) plays through a Marshall Mode 4 and a MG cab through a LTD EC 401?

Won't the Engl sound similar to the rig I've just described I mean, sonically of course, because what I'm trying to do is fill the gaps that the other guitarist is leaving out?

The Engl is £365 and is collection in Doncaster (Which is about an hour away but I'd have to ask my dad for a lift, another advantage is I have a drinking buddy there)

Peavey 6505

I've tried these before in the past and I haven't been overwhelmed with them, I'm not sure why. They sound good but I've never been in love with them. So that kinda puts a point on the Engl because I loved the Fireball, I mean obviously they're the standard for this kind of thing, right? Actives into a 6505?

I did have a 6505 combo and it was good, but how similar are these to the heads?

The Peavey is £465 with free delivery

I mean these are my only two options at the moment but I'm willing to consider any alternative, I'd prefer used but if there's a good deal on something new, then I'll consider it. (I can see Dave_MC just recommending the Jet cities at every cost now)

Gonna be used for rehearsing, home use and live gigging. The band I'm auditioning for seem to play a lot, so 50W and above seem reasonable for gigging?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
50W is reasonable for gigging. Unless you need a lot of clean low end.
The 6505 combo and head are generally the same.

And it's "bear in mind." Not "bare."
Quote by Fisheth24
So I have an audition on Sunday for a pop punk band (I know, I'm doing nothing and I'd rather play something than nothing
How in the world do I ****in feel you
Quote by Fisheth24
The issue is it's all on Ebay and ends a day BEFORE my audition, so I have no way to know if I'm going to need it or not.
Just judging from this, I wouldn't get anything.
Quote by Fisheth24
So, currently looking at an Engl Screamer and a 6505.
The screamer is an engl and all, and engl makes my favorite amps, but I would not get one for pop punk.
Nor I would get a 6505 actually.
Among the two I'd choose the engl for the cleans, you might need them.
Quote by Fisheth24
JCM 800 2203 [...] Bad Monkey
If I were you I'd boost the shit out of the marshall and be done with it.
Quote by Fisheth24
Now on the Engl front, I have previously owned a Fireball and fell in love with the tone, but I found it really compressed and to be honest lacking in terms of the mids (So won't it be the same here?)
The tone is compressed depending on the distortion level.
You might feel having a more dynamic sound because of less clarity - you turn the gain up a bit, you hear every note of every chord just fine and that's not much compressed.
If you turn up the gain a lot and you still can hear every note in every chord, you'll likely to feel like you didn't turn up the gain that much even though the distortion's there.

Have you ever tried a VH4?

I also have never felt like an ENGL lacked in mids if I turned the mids knob clockwise.
Quote by Fisheth24
Bare it in mind the other guitarist (I know them pretty well) plays through a Marshall Mode 4 and a MG cab through a LTD EC 401?
Give the poor guy another cab and he'll be more or less fine.
Quote by Fisheth24
Won't the Engl sound similar to the rig I've just described I mean, sonically of course, because what I'm trying to do is fill the gaps that the other guitarist is leaving out?
Hell no, that MG cab will make everything sound pretty damn bad.
It's hard to sound as bad as when you're playing through an MG cab without an MG cab.
Quote by Fisheth24
I've tried these before in the past and I haven't been overwhelmed with them, I'm not sure why. They sound good but I've never been in love with them.
Then why getting one?
I mean, I understand you want new stuff, but you already have the necessary to do the job.
If you wanna spend money in a new amp get something so versatile you wouldn't need the other amps instead of getting much similar amps.
Quote by Fisheth24
So that kinda puts a point on the Engl because I loved the Fireball, I mean obviously they're the standard for this kind of thing, right? Actives into a 6505?
I though you said pop punk, not metalcore...
Quote by Fisheth24
I mean these are my only two options at the moment but I'm willing to consider any alternative,
You have the option of not getting anything.
That's what I'd do.
Quote by Fisheth24
I can see Dave_MC just recommending the Jet cities at every cost now
Imo, if you wanna buy a jet city, you might as well use the marshall or the laney.
Quote by Fisheth24
Gonna be used for rehearsing, home use and live gigging. The band I'm auditioning for seem to play a lot, so 50W and above seem reasonable for gigging?
If you're gonna be mic'd up at gigs, you could as well use a 1/4w amp.
If you're not, I'd use a 100w at least just to be sure, but it's not something I would personally ever do.
I'd get a PA system instead.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Fisheth24

I mean these are my only two options at the moment but I'm willing to consider any alternative, I'd prefer used but if there's a good deal on something new, then I'll consider it. (I can see Dave_MC just recommending the Jet cities at every cost now)

seriously, though, the screamer is a fair bit lower gain than the fireball (i think, it's a while since I've tried them), and has a lot more of those mid-gain tones (the fireball is basically clean or br00tal with nothing in-between from what I remember). So it's a lot more versatile. that being said, it probably does have at least a bit of that engl family type of tone (bit bright, bit processed etc.), so if you know you don't like that...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sorry should have worded my post better! Thanks for the response Spambot!

I've already got access to a PA system and all the relevant mics and stuff, I mean, obviously this is a what if scenario as yet. But in my own time I'm playing stuff that sounds a lot like Power Metal, stuff that sounds like Sonata Arctica, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Sabaton etc. So I was kinda wanting something that I could use in my bedroom for recording some of the heavier things that I do too,

I mean obviously the bands in a bit of a strange gap, the bassist wants to turn it into more metal core and I've got no idea about the others. But yeah, I'd want to be recording songs in my own time and in my own home and what not and I don't think the gear I have now is voiced modern enough?

I was considering a JVM 410, but I have no idea if that would cover it. Been hearing mixed things about those from a lot of people, haha.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I wouldn't think a JVM410 is suited for these metal kinda things.
I also wouldn't think a screamer is suited for that, as Dave noted.

If I were you I'd just sell all of my amps and get a bogner twin jet...
Or an ENGL special edition, or maybe even a Powerball II.

Though if it's just for recording you may skip the hassle of having actual amps and look into LePou's stuff, Nick Crow's stuff, Ignite Amps' stuff, softube's metal amp room, bx_rockrack...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
never played an engl before...
but i do own a 6505+ head and its green channel does punk really well without any boost.

however you do own a jcm, if its a punk sound youre looking for you already got it xD
Use the JCM800 and a boost, or the AOR and a boost.

Your Krank Rev would have worked perfect see
(Invalid img)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 2, 2014,