For my 18th birthday I got a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar and it has been faulty since picking it up ~4 weeks ago. The main problem is when I plug it into my amplifier it makes a static noise in the background, like a fuzz sound, this is when the setting is put on clean not overdrive. It also does it on GarageBand, which I use frequently to record pieces. At first I thought it may be the amp, however, it is a new Orange amp and works fine with my other guitars. The other guitars work fine with the amp and GarageBand and I use the same leads as I use with my Squier Jag. So it's not the amp or the leads; it must be the guitar.

I went researching on the internet and it seems it is a common problem with new Squier Jags and somebody on a Fender forum said to somebody else (I haven't posted there yet) that it is a grounding issue. I have been playing guitar for almost 5 years now but I have little idea about the technical side of it so I don't have a clue what grounding is or how to fix it! That's why I thought I would ask you guys and see if you could a) explain to me what grounding is and b) what other problems could there be?

A second issue is the bottom E string which makes a loud rattling noise. I only noticed this the other day after seeing the A string had a narrow gap between it and the bottom E, leading me to adjust the strings at the bridge. This is where I saw problem number three.
Problem three is that the bridge (well these parts: http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com/images/features/50-steps-to-better-guitar-tone/intonation-adjust-630-80.jpg) are very loose and when I tried to screw them in a bit tighter it didn't change anything. Should they be this loose and also the A string seems to be sliding out of position weekly. I don't pick particularly hard and mainly play chords opposed to complex lead pieces.

The final problem (finally!) is that the whammy bar supplied doesn't screw in correctly. It is really loose and often falls out of the hole. Unlike my first Squier guitar the whammy bar has absolutely no screw mechanism and is just a smooth rod. Is there a trick to putting it in or should the whammy bar not be tightly put in? It is irritatingly loose though!
Sorry to bug you with my potentially ridiculous questions, but I am a novice to the technology behind the guitar and will be using my last free summer holidays to learn about it...
Thank you!
Sorry to hear that

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241 If you post in there you'll hopefully get some answers. The grounding issue might be better answered in the Gear Building and Customising forum (though jenny knows about wiring too and may well be able to help you with the grounding thing, too).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Sorry to hear that

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241 If you post in there you'll hopefully get some answers. The grounding issue might be better answered in the Gear Building and Customising forum (though jenny knows about wiring too and may well be able to help you with the grounding thing, too).

Thanks for the suggestions!
no problem, hope you get it sorted
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A quick fix for the grounding issue is to attach a wire between the bridge and one of your pots. It won't look pretty but it will get you through till you can get inside and see why the bridge is not grounded.
If you can adjust the action move it up a bit you might get rid of your vibration problem. I hope you get this sorted out.
Quote by Zhaezzy
A quick fix for the grounding issue is to attach a wire between the bridge and one of your pots. It won't look pretty but it will get you through till you can get inside and see why the bridge is not grounded.
If you can adjust the action move it up a bit you might get rid of your vibration problem. I hope you get this sorted out.

Do you mean the volume knob etc. for the grounding issue wire trick? If so, my guitar doesn't have knobs as such, they're switches, so I don't think it would work?
Metal switches and the metal part of pots etc should do the trick. There is no volume or tone knob on this guitar?

Here is how to test if that will work. Take a knob off your volume. Touch the bridge and the pot at the same time with one hand. the hum should go away. You can then do the same with a wire or better yet solder wick if you have it. Not a pretty permanent fix but a workable one till you can get under it all and check it out.