I heard a few of their songs, and the only one that was decent was Don't Stop. And it was just... decent. Their music isnt that unique. They literally sound like One Direction with basic guitar chords. I dont understand why they are considered "AMAZINGLY SUPER DOOPER TALENTED". Of course they havnt heard bands like Muse, Radiohead, System of a Down, etc.
Quote by imomof
Of course they havnt heard bands like Muse, Radiohead, System of a Down, etc.

That's probably because those bands don't write for that demographic, nor does that demographic care about seeking out "artsy" rock bands or metal.

If there's gonna be a true talent that teenaged girls might appreciate, it'd probably be Orianthi, an Australian pop/rock guitarist who happens to be quite the shredder:

Video for "Highly Strung" ft. Steve Vai

But then most of her teenage girl fans would probably relate to a song like this better.

Video for "According To You"

And then maybe if they like the guitar playing enough, they could graduate on to something with a little more musical substance.

But then I have to wonder why you'd care about what music teenage girls are listening to...
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Here's the thing. A majority of their fans relate to them because they're just a band that started in their garage like all of the bands that 5sos admired as kids. They are good, but of course they're no where near as good as a lot of the bands that 5sos are inspired by, the same bands that a lot of people on this website are inspired by. They're not the absolute best and they're more on the pop side that anything else, but music lovers who have the same connection to a more "punk rock sound" find a good middle ground in 5sos. They're just a group of teenagers who are doing what they love and I admire that in them, even if the sound isn't the absolute best.
So I listened to a couple songs. Yea pretty much pop rock stuff that the mainstream loves, woah woah woah stuff haha. There is a basic formula to writing this type of music but unless you are so inclined in will be difficult to "force it".

They do have talent but I don't think talent is the defining factor in bands like this.

At least the singing sounds better than One Direction
Yea I totally agree. What kind of concerns me is that they are now 10x more famous than bands they are inspired by. I mean like, I have not seen a comment on Instagram not mentioning how hot they are. Most of their fan's comments are about their looks, not music.
Quote by imomof
What kind of concerns me...

If this "concerns" you then I think the phrase "calm the fuque down" is relevant here.

It doesn't matter, stop being THAT guy who tells people who like mainstream music how wrong their doing music.

Most people don't care about the music they listen to beyond the fact they like how it sounds in theirs ears. No one will ever be impressed by you telling them how "bad" you think their taste in music is. The sooner you get over your own subjective standards of music the happier you'll be.

Just stop.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jul 2, 2014,
Quote by ChemicalFire
If this "concerns" you then I think the phrase "calm the fuque down" is relevant here.

It doesn't matter, stop being THAT guy who tells people who like mainstream music how wrong their doing music.

Most people don't care about the music they listen to beyond the fact they like how it sounds in theirs ears. No one will ever be impressed by you telling them how "bad" you think their taste in music is. The sooner you get over your own subjective standards of music the happier you'll be.

Just stop.

I never said they have a bad taste in music. Like I said, I thought Don't Stop was decent. I agree that they can listen to what they want. But did you not read my 2nd point. Another major factor of their popularity is because they are "hot". I mean there are lots of "hot" talented artists out there. But people like them because of their music, not solely because they are hot. Like I said, I have not read one comment on their page not mentioning how hot they are. I mean, if that is what music is about to you, go ahead and fan over bands like One Direction, but I will continue listening to my music and learning my music.
Quote by imomof
I never said they have a bad taste in music. Like I said, I thought Don't Stop was decent. I agree that they can listen to what they want. But did you not read my 2nd point. Another major factor of their popularity is because they are "hot". I mean there are lots of "hot" talented artists out there. But people like them because of their music, not solely because they are hot. Like I said, I have not read one comment on their page not mentioning how hot they are. I mean, if that is what music is about to you, go ahead and fan over bands like One Direction, but I will continue listening to my music and learning my music.

You're still not giving me a reason as to why any of your concerns actually matter.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
You're still not giving me a reason as to why any of your concerns actually matter.

It matters because most teenage girls judge bands just by their looks, and not talent. If Nash Grier, the guy who got famous for nothing, started a band, he would instantly become more popular than Muse, regardless how talentless he is. Makes sense? Yes this does concern me. I do not know how this does not to you. Unless you are one of those fangirls.
My gf listens to them so Ive heard my fair share. I would say they could have had potential (just as anyone else) but their main focus has certainly shifted to far from music to recover. Who knows? Maybe in ten years one of them will start a real band.