Just applied at Guitar Center. What should I know for the interview?

First off, I would just like to say that I know most of the people's position on this site of Guitar Center is pretty negative, so please, save all the sarcastic "all you have to do to get hired is no nothing about guitars hur hur hur!" I know that most people think everyone working there is a dumb ass so hopefully getting hired shouldn't be too hard. I've been reading different forum posts, but it seems like everyone is just talking about what they are going to wear to the interview for some reason. I have a good knowledge of everything about guitars and I would just like to know if anyone has any experience from working/interviewing at GC. I would just like to know what kind of questions they ask in the interview about all the gear in the store so I can be prepared. I know that its a salesman and customer service job overall, so I will be sure to try to make myself be as personable as possible. If anyone has any advice or insight, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks.
Quote by deadsmileyface
all you have to do to get hired is know nothing about guitars

hur hur hur!
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Honestly, from what I have seen of guitar center employees you should just let them stroke their own ego in the interview and they will probs hire you.
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
You'll need to know what kind of amps to recommend.
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
I don't believe the Big Bang
u need to be able to play the intro to nothing else matters

and then bam they accept you
and nothing else matters
hypernova has dope avatar
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
how to play smoke on the water on the E string. on a bass AND guitar.

yeah
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
you probably wont even get an interview to be honest
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Check out this Line 6 spider, it has every preset and comes with effects and stuff, and is endorsed by every musician.
OP's reaction to this thread:

Who the hell asks serious questions in The Pit?

Oh wait....
Quote by slapsymcdougal
No, I judge people based on how similar they are to me.
The greater the similarity, the more of a total ****ing **** they are.

Metal is like an apple. Everything is good except for the core
Last edited by shawnkenneth at Jul 2, 2014,
Convince them you can sell anything. That is all they care about, that's why you get fired if you don't meet your quota.
Quote by shawnkenneth
OP's reaction to this thread:

Who the hell asks serious questions in The Pit?

Oh wait....

I should have known the hate would be too overwhelming
I feel like having a strong, confident, and friendly personality would be equally as important as learning the details about the area of the store that you want to work in. Have a good presence about you.

Unlike the rest of the stereotypes in this thread, I've never had a problem with Guitar Center employees. I only go there occasionally to buy new strings and diddle around in the acoustic room. So I'm also probably a terrible customer.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
I feel like having a strong, confident, and friendly personality would be equally as important as learning the details about the area of the store that you want to work in. Have a good presence about you.

Unlike the rest of the stereotypes in this thread, I've never had a problem with Guitar Center employees. I only go there occasionally to buy new strings and diddle around in the acoustic room.

please stop giving serious advice
banned
pretend you have an imaginary friend, Mister Salesbuddy. what does he do? what's he like? why do you like going shopping with him so much?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
What does the job description say? Try to prove to them that you have the characteristics they are looking for.
Depends a little on what position you're applying for. I used to work at Guitar Center Chicago as doorgirl, so thats a little diff.
Quote by Dreadnought
I only go there occasionally to buy new strings and diddle around in the acoustic room. So I'm also probably a terrible customer.

This is me. The only difference is I take the last good stool in the acoustic room and stay there for like 45 minutes.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I recall a few people have worked their in the past but they all probably left before the pit started dying. It seems like you understand the general approach to every interview you will ever have in your life. If you show you're knowledgeable, skilled, and interested, you should be fine.
I basically left because I was tired of the atmosphere there and the pay wasnt that good.
basically you should go in and educate them on how guitars are obsolete and they'll be totally amazed and grateful and they'll give you a job at their forthcoming new shop daw centre (cos u also explain to them how to spell centre correctly)
Smear some butter on your face to worsen that acne, put on some weight, grow a ponytail and learn how to play the intros for Enter Sandman, Paranoid, Ace of Spades and Smoke on the Water (on the E string). They should have lots of wrong notes and plenty of other common mistakes.

On a serious note, I've never actually been into a Guitar Center. Either they are 'an American thing' or there just isn't one anywhere near my area that I know of.
I'll assume they're like any other business though so:
- Dress smartly.
- Read the job advertisement and pick out key phrases such as "we're looking for an individual with good time management" and mention you're great at all that stuff in the interview.
- Tell them how great you would be at selling guitars, even if you know you'll be a total waste of time.
- Do a little research on guitar center and compile a bunch of lies...I mean...reasons that you've always wanted to work there.

I don't know if it's the same as other 'chain stores' I've been into but each store has always tended to be a different dealership of certain brand guitars. The same brand of stores selling and advertising completely different brands depending on the area.
So find out what that store in particular tend to favor stocking, from guitars to other related equipment.
Then do you know what you do? Lie and say you'd be great at working there because you favor those brands and models so you would love to work there selling that stuff because you love that brand.
It's a bonus if the store stocks the brands of guitars you actually like.

Seriously, I've gotten most of my retail jobs by doing that stuff. They just want a guy whose going to sell stock. Selling yourself by telling them a load of vague information that is likely lies as to why you want to work there is essentially them seeing how good of a salesman you are.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Be prepared for a group interview. They are going to ask like 5 question most of them are very casual and they like to switch up the order.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by captainsnazz
basically you should go in and educate them on how guitars are obsolete and they'll be totally amazed and grateful and they'll give you a job at their forthcoming new shop daw centre (cos u also explain to them how to spell centre correctly)

TS, you should work at somewhere more in line with today's state of music.

You should apply to work at the Apple store.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I teach at the local Guitar Center - so my interview was basically for them to make sure that I could play and that I knew my stuff. Quite a bit different from what yours will be.
I've heard managers at the store talk about applicants and why they didn't get hired, so here's a few things to keep in mind.

First dress professionally; not necessarily a suit and tie, but don't go in with ripped up jeans and a Megadeth t-shirt. Jeans are ok (as long as they're clean), some type of shirt with a collar and shoes that are casual dress (not tennis shoes.)

These things might seem like no-brainers, but you'd be amazed at how many people don't seem to understand these social skills
*Be friendly, but not over-bearing.
*Be polite
*Be on time
*Be clean - personal hygiene is HUGE: shower, use deodorant, brush your teeth and use mouth wash.

If you're going to be a salesman, you're going to be talking to people, they're (the interviewers) are going to watch how you interact with them during your interview. If you come across as quiet, arrogant, impersonable or jerky in any way, you're not going to get the job.

I've been teaching in and working in music stores for almost 25 years and have been at GC for about 9 months. It's one of the best places that I've worked in. Most of the people that work there are really cool - you're always going to have a couple of bozos, but that's life. The atmosphere is real laid back and the discount is really cool.

Good luck to you.
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
Man, I'd hate to work at any music store. You would have to deal with those lame people that go there to show of their "rad shredding" everyday.

Quote by flexiblemile
can you reccommend a line 6 spider amp with a straight face?

Quote by Axelfox
Check out this Line 6 spider, it has every preset and comes with effects and stuff, and is endorsed by every musician.

Just curious, why do people always make fun of Line 6s? I always see people make fun of them on here but I don't know much about guitar amps outside the few that I owned.
you can expect to be overworked and underpaid. Also you can expect to never have a free weekend again.

I quit the place because of some terrible policies.
Quote by MeTallIcA313
Man, I'd hate to work at any music store. You would have to deal with those lame people that go there to show of their "rad shredding" everyday.

Just curious, why do people always make fun of Line 6s? I always see people make fun of them on here but I don't know much about guitar amps outside the few that I owned.

It mostly the Line 6 Spiders, they are terrible modelling amps that are pushed by the employees of big music shops.
Quote by Biedermannn
I should have known the hate would be too overwhelming

Considering that 99% of the posters here are kids. Half these dudes probably still get an allowance from mommy and daddy, live at home and have never worked or work fast food.
Don't even waste your time unless you're applying for networking purposes.
Also, if you don't know anyone that works there already then you are not getting the job.
Most jobs at places like that go to people's friends.

Retail jobs suck ass and are basically slave labor in my experience, working it.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab