When did you first get a nice guitar and what was it? For example, I know that quite a few people got a Les Paul when they were a teenager. Interesting to see when people consider themselves good enough for a 'nice' (as in professional guitar) guitar.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Two Piece band's Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TerrorpinBand

I just like to imagine that my neighbors enjoy their free, nightly concerts.
my first guitar (mij ibanez rg470) was pretty nice apart from the tremolo

if that doesn't count i guess i was maybe 24 or 25. though i only started playing at 19 or so.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I got my first decent guitar about 14 years after I started playing. I was an enthusiastic and decent enough player, but the guitar itself didn't seem important compared with other stuff in my life. I'm heading back that way as I get older. My first electric would have been about 22 years after I started playing. It was a very good used Kinman, but I didn't stick with it back then because I failed to see the overwhelming importance of the amp.
When I decided to go electric, I bought 2 at the same time. One was a Dean Special Select EVO and a Dean Time Capsule Cadillac. So, my answer to:

When did you first get a nice guitar and what was it?

...is "As soon as I had the money to buy my Cadillac."
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I got my first good guitar when I was 18 about 8 years ago. It was about 2 years after I started playing 3 or 4 months after I started practicing seriously. It was a Gibson less Paul studio. I still have it but I have learned I'm not really a les Paul guy.
My first electric guitar was a horrible Ritmiller strat. Terrible thing but it got me going, actually the action wasn't bad.

Then I got a Ibanez RG270. Cool guitar but the pick-ups are kinda muddy, action is high, fret buzz is a problem and the double locking trem is pretty shaky.

4 years into playing and I got my first "Professional" Guitar. The Parker PM-20 Pro.

Now this is a guitar. Beautiful ebony fretboard, buttery action, toasty Seymour Duncan JB pickups. Neck-thru body. It's one solid chunk of mahogany.

I love this guitar and playing on it almost immediately improved my skill. I think it is good to start on some beater guitars. You need to know how to play regardless of instrument quality but I do wish I got a guitar like this at least a year earlier. I actually stopped playing for a while because I could feel my Ibanez holding me back and it made me dislike the guitar. When I picked up the Parker for the first time it was like the angels started singing and I just had to have it. If I didn't buy it then I may have gotten over guitar completely but since I got my Parker I have played it almost every day.

Now all I want is another pro guitar with a double locking trem. I am aiming for the Jackson RR24

If the gods are kind I will get something like this before the year is up. I can only hope :P
My first guitar was a Schecter Hellraiser with EMG 81/85, and an original Floyd Rose. Assuming that by "nice guitar", you mean something that's not entry-level, with crappy stock pickups and licensed hardware, that definitely counts. It's still my main axe, 8 years later. Replacing the neck pickup with the new EMG 66 next week. That'll be the first modification of any kind, aside from installing straplocks.
My first nice guitar was (I guess) an Epiphone Les Paul. It was the first guitar I owned that wasn't completely entry level. Got it in 2008 - had been playing for 2 years.

Since then, I've bought many guitars in the $700-1000 range and I'm soon going to buy one well over $1000.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Jul 2, 2014,
First Electric at around 13 was a cheap Hohner cream with tortoise shell pick guard.Had various Squiers and Epis through my teens.First 'nice' guitar was a tobacco sunburst Gibson Les Paul Standard in my 20's and then not long after a Gibo SG in black.
My first 'good' guitar was an Epiphone Prophecy EX. It hangs on my wall and I have hardly touched it. THere's nothing wrong with it, but my Gibson V makes it kind of redundant.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 2, 2014,
As a bassist, my first (and to this day only) bass was an Epiphone Thunderbird. My reasoning being that I wanted a cheap(ish) option that would also be gig worthy, I was 17 when I got it, so of course it was a serious decision as opposed to being a kid just thinking I wanted to play an instrument.

3 years later, here I am, I've played in/rehearsed with a few bands, a worthwhile decision.

I also bought myself an Epiphone Les Paul earlier this year, I can play a few chords, but what the hey? If you're not too tight for cash, go big or go home.
My first NICE guitar was my Carvin CS4 when I was 20
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
Define "nice". I think all of my guitars are nice. I like them, they are comfortable to me and play well. But compared to my friend's Carvin custom shop, all of my guitars are basically shit. I guess I'm still waiting for my first nice guitar.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I got an RG Premium 2 years after playing. It wad very nice. Of course it needed a setup, though.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
How nice is nice? I got my first giggable guitar for $425 when I was 14, but I got my first really nice, US-made, real professional guitar when I was about 17. Which of those counts?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
two days a go, charvel so cal. It replaced my Kramer striker 300.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
My first nice guitar was my Schecter Blackjack. When I started playing in the 90s Korean guitars were mostly junk, so I kept to an MIM strat for ages. I was amazed when I started playing Korean guitars at Guitar Center and realized that many are as good, if not better, than more expensive MIA Fender and Gibson guitars.
Quote by jpnyc
My first nice guitar was my Schecter Blackjack. When I started playing in the 90s Korean guitars were mostly junk, so I kept to an MIM strat for ages. I was amazed when I started playing Korean guitars at Guitar Center and realized that many are as good, if not better, than more expensive MIA Fender and Gibson guitars.

Indeed they are. I love my Korean made Schecter Hellraiser. I work at a local guitar shop and we carry Schecters. They all impress me, for their price. The fretwork and factory setups are infinitely better than the other Asian guitars we have, and even most of the Mexican Fenders. On par with the USA Made Fenders, and the $800+ Jacksons. Plus they're a good company to deal with, and don't treat dealers like shit if they're not Guitar Center, like Fender and Gibson do.
My first guitar that was a player and served me well is an old Cort that I still have. My first and only love thus far is an old Madeira LP Special copy with p90s. The Madeira has ruined several ngd's for me in the past but I don't blame her for it.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
My first nice guitar was my second one which was an early '80s Ibanez Flying V in sunburst.

I went through a few guitars in 2-3 years between '91-'94 and kind of settled '95-'97.

It went Applause Stratocaster in black, Ibanez V, Gibson Les Paul studio(1 week), Gibson Explorer, ESP KH II. Then home build Schecter/Fender Stratocaster and Custom Jackson Randy Rhoads.
I made sure to get a nice guitar straight away. My first ever guitar, which is still my primary axe, was a Gibson SG Special. Still love it now and use it exclusively for gigging
I traded some limited edition congas for a great PRS se singlecu. One of the early year models. Great guitar, but my first professional level was just a few months ago... 60th anniversary American standard stratocaster. Holy crap this guitar is beautiful and easy to play. Glad I finally took the plunge.
1977 Les Paul Custom. Bought new in 1977. Best one available at the time. Gave $995 including hard shell case.
Traded it in recently (got $2500 allowance) for a ten top PRS custom 24
I've gotten lucky and all my my guitars have been good. I really love my Drive Wildfire II. That was my first and is still my fav! It has no fret buzz anywhere. Has a tone that makes me happy when I'm down, calms when I'm pissed. Takes my abuse. Stays in tune for weeks.
I'm sure the tone Nazis here will have something to say, but I don't need a $1000 ESP or some shit. I love my pink plastic Wildfire! She's all the luth I need!
But still I bough 3 more. Great guitars, all 4. Not a buzz to be had.

By "good guitar" Do you mean, "spent a shit ton of money on?" Sorry if that's what a "good guitar" means to you. I'll put Princess BubbleGum against most 1000 dollar rides.
First one I ever bought on my own I think was an RGT42DX that I bought when I was around 19 or 20.

Before that, my dad hooked me up with an RG7420 in 9th grade for having good grades one year.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
I've been playing for 12 years and still have my same turd.
Ibanez rx60.
So never, Probably gonna pick up a Skervesen in a couple months.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Last edited by Kyleisthename at Jul 3, 2014,
Thanks guys, good replies. And by nice (most of you seem to have get the idea) is that guitar that you can really be proud of owning and playing. For example, I got my first Gibson yesterday! A Les Paul LPJ and I love it. Definitely comparable with the Studio that I also played.

If it played nice, I could be proud of a cigar box with a broom-handle neck! I've never been one who puts much stock in labels, and prefer to make a judgement based on performance.
I am a StarGeezer: some call me..."Tim."*

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
Quote by Pacifica Ocean
Thanks guys, good replies. And by nice (most of you seem to have get the idea) is that guitar that you can really be proud of owning and playing. For example, I got my first Gibson yesterday! A Les Paul LPJ and I love it. Definitely comparable with the Studio that I also played.

wow instead of the fender?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My first nice guitar was a MIA Fender Stratocaster with a ash body. I bought it through my school in my last year of school, whilst studying Music at A-Level. Not many people in the UK are aware of this, but you can in fact order instruments through school music departments with a very nice education discount!
Good to know! I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't do that in the USA as well.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Dave_Mc
wow instead of the fender?

Weird, I know. But the LP sounded great clean and driven whereas the single coils still sound weak with gain.

Loving my Baja Telecaster atm,Have'nt touched my MIA Strat since aquiring this,Really nice guitar.
Quote by Pacifica Ocean
Weird, I know. But the LP sounded great clean and driven whereas the single coils still sound weak with gain.

yeah no worries. sometimes you don't know what you want until you try a bunch of stuff. and the gibsons have lower output humbuckers normally (most models) so they're pretty decent at both the cleaner and more driven stuff, as you said.

any pics of it yet?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My first guitar was really nice, especially for a beginner. I still have it and gig it and I have/had some very nice guitars over the years to compare it to. It is a MIJ Sanox LP copy from the late 70's

My friend got a 1957 LP standard for his first guitar, and my son gets my PRS
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 4, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah no worries. sometimes you don't know what you want until you try a bunch of stuff. and the gibsons have lower output humbuckers normally (most models) so they're pretty decent at both the cleaner and more driven stuff, as you said.

any pics of it yet?

I'll do a belated NGD when I have my camera! It's the Fireburst and it's awesoem. In the end, you realise that the spec doesn't really matter if you love it.

I got an orange Ibanez RG1550m about 3-4 years after I started playing because I had money...and then I sold it a few years later because I didn't have money.
Depends what you mean by 'nice' guitar.
I got an Epiphone LP standard about 3 years after I started playing. Dings and general wear aside, I still like it.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Pacifica Ocean
I'll do a belated NGD when I have my camera! It's the Fireburst and it's awesoem. In the end, you realise that the spec doesn't really matter if you love it.

No worries I never get round to making NGD threads. And yeah judging something solely on the spec sheet is normally a bad idea.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?