Pod HD500X
12 71%
Boss GT-100
5 29%
Digitech GNX4
0 0%
Voters: 17.
Page 1 of 2
I am in the market for a new floor unit. Here's what I need it for in order of importance:

1. General effects unit. Atm all I'd use is boost and wah (old school punk) but in the future I could do other things. I get offers to join covers bands playing mostly hard rock covers quite often and I will probably do it again one day because there's decent money in it. I am thinking long term here.

2. MIDI controller. Mainly to switch my RM100 but also perhaps rack gear.

3. Backup amp for emergencies. My current backup is a JCM900 combo and it's a bit big to cart around to out of town gigs, esp if I have to take my own PA. The Pod would be simpler obviously, it would already be on stage with me if the Randall shits itself.

4. Recording

I can afford any of them but if I was to get the GNX4 I could also afford the new Randall module I want. I can get it for $150 less. If I get one of the others I can still afford a new module but not the exact one that I want. A good one but not THE one.

So ......... opinions.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 2, 2014,
For obvious reasons I chose the HD500X. Though the HD500 would be just as good for your needs. I'm using it for srictly floor FX right now. Although I'll admit the only 8 effects slots thing is a bit limiting. Luckily I only use OD, volume, noise suppressor and wah. Although the EQs are amazing as well. Silent recording is awesome too.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
THe main thing that makes me baulk at the GNX4 is the small number of footswitches. I am used to operating in patch mode and that's the best way for me to operate because I can set up amp switching to coincide with patch.
I'm going to have to download the manual and have a good read, aren't I? I've read the manuals for the others and they'd both do what I need in that regard. Not so sure about the GNX4. I wasn't considering it initially (I'd pretty much decided on the Pod) but a store I deal with often has a NOS one he can sell me cheap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'd say the HD500X, but only if it has something better than M-class effects like on the M9 or HD500. I have an M9 and I'm not too impressed by it.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
They're the same I think.

Reading the manual, I think I can make the GNX4 operate the way I need. So that's not an issue really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
THe main thing that makes me baulk at the GNX4 is the small number of footswitches. I am used to operating in patch mode and that's the best way for me to operate because I can set up amp switching to coincide with patch.

Not sure about the others the the HD500/x can do both patch and individual effects at the same time, bottom 4 for patches top 4 individually assignable to what ever plus the exp pedal switch or all 8 assignable for effects
Looks to me like the GNX4 can't be run in 4CM. I'd really want to be able to use it with the RM100's FX loop (which is a line level loop) for part of the signal chain. You can do this with the other two but I can't see how you could do it with the GNX4.
Is this correct? Because that's a deal breaker.

I am all set to buy something today btw.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
do you write your own stuff or do you cover other songs?

/curiousofftopic
Well that's the GNX off the table. Why would you choose the GT-100 over the HD500X?

^ Atm I'm doing original music. In the future I could do covers again - there's better money in it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The gnx4 is a painful mfx to use imo. I had one for a brief instant. It does a lot of stuff but its frustrating learning how to use all that stuff, its not all that intuitive and it doesn't sound all that great even compared to other mfx, imo. I know you already crossed it off your list but I figured I'd nail the lid shut.

A friend of mine recently got the gt-100 and it has some really impressive sounds in it. Both my friend and I have trouble getting it to do what we want it to do. Though in my defense, he keeps leaving the manual at home. But its not really user friendly.

Again, all my opinion, I do lose several dozen iq points when staring at screens, so you'd probably have much better luck. But I'd go for the 500x. I'm sure you already bought but that's my $0.02
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I'm used to Roland speak. Been using their gear since the 80's, I doubt that I'd even need the manual although I have downloaded and read the manuals for them all. The GNX4 did seem pretty convoluted. The GT-100 and HD500X look pretty straight forward to me.
Tbh, ease of use doesn't really worry me much. If I can drive datascopes from the 90's I can drive anything.
I'm leaning towards the HD500X at this point.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I doubt you could go wrong with either. They're both pretty sweet. Line 6 probably has the best rep for amp modeling.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Which has the best overdrives, chorus, wah and delay?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Why not go rack? Like a GSP1101 or Gmajor?
You already have rack gear in your rig, don't you?

If it has to be entirely floor based, HD500.
[404]Signature not found
Last edited by jmaguire at Jul 3, 2014,
I'm trying to simplify things. All I want to run is a single floor unit and my amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ah. I figured if you already had a rack and were taking it to gigs, a rack system would be the way to go.
But in that case, I'd go the Pod. I probably wouldn't worry about the X model, seeing as you're not using a heap of effects and really stressing it.
[404]Signature not found
The GT-100 has one thing going for it that I didn't mention - I can buy it in Australia from a store which would be better for warranty work whereas the Pod would be coming from an unknown seller in the US. Both are the same price to my door.
Oh, and I'd have to supply my own power supply with the Pod but that's no big deal - <$20.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 3, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
Well that's the GNX off the table. Why would you choose the GT-100 over the HD500X?
Boss has always been known for having quality FX and reliable opertion. Their shortcoming has always been amp modeling, but even that has seen improvements in the GT-100. My buddy who is a professional musician has been going through a bunch of multifx finally settled on the GT-100 and thinks the Adaptive Distortion stomp in the GT-100 is one of the best he's heard. And I trust his ear. I haven't seen it but apparently Boss finally came out with a SW editor that he claims is better than Line 6's. And Line 6 reliability is IMO not as good as Boss.

If you were going to be relying on amp modeling instead of your amp then it might be different.
I would trust Boss reliability for live use over line 6 and that seems what you are mostly going to use it for. I would go with the GT100 for your use.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
The GNX4 is quite old, instead of that the RP1000 would work better for ease of use & offer a fx loop.

Between the Hd500x & Gt100, either would do just fine. The gt is easier to edit on the fly. The new hd has better switches so it should be reliable as well. 4CM can be a pain to deal with on either of these two units.

Delays & chorus should be great on both but wah & od are something that may leave you wanting more.
I've got experience with the HD500, not much with the others (casual look at the store), and I own a small stack of Line 6 Pod stuff. One thing not mentioned here is the software that makes it a LOT easier to create patches (compare to squinting at that silly screen). There's also the huge library of pre-created patches from other users that's a great way to get closer, faster, to what you're trying to accomplish.
I have little experience with mfx. So boss. coz it looks badass and will never ever break
Screw it gn4x, just because of the sexy new module.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
This is tough. If you're planning on using the amp sims only in case of emergency, I'm leaning towards recommending the GT100. I think Boss has the better sounding and more useful FX.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I am leaning towards the GT-100 at this point because that's what I'm hearing - the GT-100 is the better live effects tool, the Pod better for recording. Live work is what matters to me most by a wide margin. I want something to mate up with the RM100 on stage most. The whole modeling side of things isn't so important.
Thanks for the input guys. I'll make my decision today and place the order then report back.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Best of luck Cathbard. Hopefully what you decide on lives up to your expectations. I do expect the Roland Boss system to live up whereas the Line 6 seems to leave some to be desired. The Line 6 aren't bad, just don't seem as road worthy, and, although the M13 I had was awesome for delays/reverbs/modulations, the line6 stuff has always sucked outside of those effects to me. I think Boss stuff does those things as well, but does dirt effects much better. I don't have a whole lot of exp with these but have a good amount with a lot of different devices released by both companies and some exp with each specific model you asked about as well as the M13 by Line 6.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
I did consider the M13 initially but decided against it because it couldn't be used as a backup amp in emergencies. It is a small factor to me but it was what edged out the M13 in favour of the Pod when narrowing down my options.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Just ordered the GT-100. Thanks everybody for your input.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

wooo good call. I was eyeing one off in the shop yesterday. Its like the batmobile of mfx

would love to hear some feedback on the dirt sounds you get from it
I'm ordering a bit of stuff as well as the GT-100. Once I get it all and get a chance to test it all I'll do a NGD. I'm having a bit of a splurge.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I'm having a bit of a splurge.

Its that time of year. went to buy strings yesterday, ended up buying a tele
I just ordered a new pup for my tele (it only has a bridge pup). Ordered a Rio Grande Dirty Harry for it. They're supposed to be a P90 in a tele housing. I've got a SD Quarter Pounder in there atm and it's very nice and does have a distinct P90 vibe to it - but I thought maybe I can do better. Time will tell.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

Nice, dont forget to update the firmware to v2. It will add new amp & fx stuff.
Knew it. An old geezer like you is just the type to show brand loyalty

Good decision either way, both great units. The Boss should do the job quite well
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Cathbard
I just ordered a new pup for my tele (it only has a bridge pup). Ordered a Rio Grande Dirty Harry for it. They're supposed to be a P90 in a tele housing. I've got a SD Quarter Pounder in there atm and it's very nice and does have a distinct P90 vibe to it - but I thought maybe I can do better. Time will tell.

I've been tossing up humbuggies for the bridge already but its a fairly blind quest trying to decipher who to believe when reading tdpri forums
will a quarter pounder get me halfway toward led zep tones through my marshall?
The earlier stuff, yeah. The QP still sounds like a s/c, a fat s/c, almost P90.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I recently made the same decision - I bought an ME-80 that totally sucked HARD and so I almost went for the HD500X after my refund came through.
I read that some other people had similar problems I had with the ME-80, and didn't have those problems with the GT-100, so I went for it because the effects on the ME-80 were first class.
I had problems with high end fizz and a weird, muffled sound with some of the amp models.
To be fair, the Clean amp and the Drive amp models were fantastic, but they're both on the GT-100 anyway under slightly different names.

Here's to hoping we made the right decision!

Just curious, I'm also Australian - who did you order the GT-100 from?
Belfield Music in Sydney. They're selling them for $499 including postage atm.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification