Page 1 of 2
I can't stand crappy, nervous sounding vibrato. It's common amongst shredders. What are your biggest guitar pet peeves?
noobs who buy a pedal/amp.... turn all the control knobs full right... then post on here asserting that "Product X" is shyte....
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
When people play things that have mediocre melodies.

When people play a "bunch of busy junk" causing the melody to be too lost in the mix.
Last edited by Unreal T at Jul 3, 2014,
The nervous vibrato kills me.

But what I really hate are those guitar douches that think that since they can play a few chords or play really fast (but they can't make real music) that they're pro guitarists.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Schecter Damien Platinum FR
Yamaha FG700S (Acoustic)
Peavey Vypyr
Fender Mustang I
- Gay looking headstocks

- People who buy beautiful guitars (usually les pauls) and put EMGs in them and remove all the tone and volume nobs.

- Guitarists who have signature guitars and know nothing about guitars.

- When recording a part with a harmony, they only make one track per part and just pan one %100 left and one %100 right. Because they are 2 different parts it's disorienting hearing one per side, if you're going to record two parts at least double track them for Christs sake.
- +1000 on the bad vibrato
- people obsessed with gear who have 20+ pedals but are horrible musicians
- guitarists who tie a hairband to the headstock, learn to mute with your picking hand (no one wants to hear your sloppy 8 finger tapping wankage anyway)
- guitarists like this guy here :
Last edited by SuperKid at Jul 3, 2014,
+1 for people who use hairbands exclusively. If it's someone like Guthrie Govan who actually needs it for certain parts that's fine, but if there's someone like Andy James who can't anything unless he has a hair band then it's just lazy.
People who use their bridge humbucker to play on a trebly, clean setting with the volume and tone on the guitar set to 10.
I forgot to mention what darrenram said. I was at a Battle of the Bands recently, and this band did a cover of Hotel California. The guy's guitar tone was awful, each note was so trebly and high-pitched it was painful to listen to.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Schecter Damien Platinum FR
Yamaha FG700S (Acoustic)
Peavey Vypyr
Fender Mustang I
Guitarist who play super super fast but have no emotion. Same goes for any instrument. I admire their technique, but it feels like I'm just watching a robot, and hearing an engine roar, not music.
My biggest pet peeve is players that think that some styles or some players are more music than others, and that their taste is the absolute taste to have. I can´t stand people who argue about music.

Quote by Jimjambanx
- Gay looking headstocks

Please don´t use that word to describe things. For one it is disrespectful to the LGBT-community, secondly it makes you look stupid. No offense intended, i just want you to reconsider your word of choice.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by flaaash
Like what ?

Well I'm not a fan of Seagull headstocks, they look silly. Really big Fender headstocks look a little goofy, and tele headstocks I'm not a fan of. It's a stupid criteria I know, but when buying a guitar I want to have a nice looking headstock.

Quote by Sickz
Please don´t use that word to describe things. For one it is disrespectful to the LGBT-community, secondly it makes you look stupid. No offense intended, i just want you to reconsider your word of choice.

Oops sorry, I thought I was on the internet or something, my bad.
My biggest pet peeve is the trend towards more gain/modern high gain. Some players' distorted tones are just getting worse with time - Satriani, Pettrucci etc. There's an overabundance of thickness that is just irritating to my ears. Roll it back people !!!!
Ultra high gain scooped sounds that sound like a cement saw at work. I recall I heard someone listening to some hardcore metal in their minivan with a tone like that. I thought there was something wrong with the engine and it took me a minute to realize that it was the music they were listening too. I then thought gee I must be old now.
When people invent stupid topics on guitar forums, that have little to no relevance to the guitar, and run from the incredibly subjective to non-quantifiable, and will never result in a definitive consensus...in other words, its babble for the sake of hearing themselves speak. Or they begin with some slack jawed flawed premise as if we are all supposed to buy into their narrow region of thought.

By the way, I'm not attacking this post as a "stupid topic", so don't try and read between the lines on this.

Best,

Sean
My biggest guitar pet peeve?
Off the top of my head I can't think of many really.
Definitely have been times where I've found some things quite annoying.
Except those things aren't really worth wasting my time worrying about... ...
So for me it would be occasionally allowing stupid little things bother me to begin with.

Si
Quote by SuperKid
- guitarists who tie a hairband to the headstock, learn to mute with your picking hand (no one wants to hear your sloppy 8 finger tapping wankage anyway)

Dead on about the pedals lol.

Quote by SuperKid

Pretty much my opinion on it. I don't know, that kid does have some decent technique (can improve, but every should always try to improve), but there's literally no flow between anything. He'll play one "shreddy" lick, pause for a few beats, play another lick, and so on and so forth. If he actually tied in ideas together and his technique cleaned up just a bit, than that video wouldn't bore me anywhere near as much as it did.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by Jimjambanx
Oops sorry, I thought I was on the internet or something, my bad.

it doesn't matter where you are, it's still disrespectful.

anyway, i digress. i get annoyed when people can shred scales but can't keep a beat. i work at guitar center, and these kids come in that do nothing but practice scales and play lightning fast, but they can't keep time to save their lives.

also, crummy arpeggios.
keep writing. keep dreaming.

keep the notes coming...

ibanez ftw
The crappy awkward vibrato is one for sure...

Shredding just for the sake of playing fast is also annoying

Playing slow and bending every third note just because you think it's more meaningful is annoying too if you can tell it isn't "genuine"

People who think that a Fender Strat or Gibson Les Paul is the greatest guitar ever made and anything beyond that is excessive

When people excuse poor playing with "My guitar isn't very good"

People who refuse to ****ing tune...
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
I was once jamming with a friend of mine going off chord sheets he'd printed out, and he refused to take his capo off because it fitted his vocal range better, leaving me to transpose everything in my head. That's all well and good at a gig, but there was just the two of us there. Grargh!
Quote by Jimjambanx
+1 for people who use hairbands exclusively.

Agreed.

No excuse for that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Its not really worth discussing peeves because what irks you the wrong way might be someone else's signature style and I guarantee that ALL of these styles have fanbases.
Mindless shreds and finger tapping that lack timing and rhythm.

My biggest concern is melody.
My pet peeve is with all the posing by narcissistic guitarists - get over yourself.
Quote by darrenram1
People who use their bridge humbucker to play on a trebly, clean setting with the volume and tone on the guitar set to 10.

Same here!! Tons of treble on a clean setting just does not sound good to me. I hate the opposite too; when the tone is on 0. Some people want warmer jazzier tone but when it's too dark it sounds bad, and makes me cringe when they add distortion - so muddy >__<
Quote by Bensm
Its not really worth discussing peeves because what irks you the wrong way might be someone else's signature style and I guarantee that ALL of these styles have fanbases.

Eh, I was just curious to see what bugged other people. I see what you're getting at though. There's no definitive good or bad in the world of guitar, it's all subjective.
Sharp fret ends

Excessive or inappropriate use of pinch harmonics

Coming up with an original riff, and later realizing that I unwittingly ripped it off from another song
people who expend energy creating threads to bitch about "annoying things that guitar players do", none of which are actually annoying enough to warrant public discussion
Last edited by :-D at Jul 4, 2014,
People that moan about how much they dislike people moaning about things that don't matter on the internet.

People that think a particular thread is a waste of energy and that nothing in it warrants public discussion and then expend energy posting in the very thread and thereby publicly discussing those exact things they just said were not worthy of discussing.

Si
i didn't say nothing in the thread warrants public discussion. the things i claimed to be unworthy of discussing would be the "annoying guitar player habits"

i discussed absolutely none of those in my post, and therefore did not publicly discuss anything i said was not worthy of public discussion

this exchange is far more interesting than "what do other guitar players do that pisses you off"
By voluntarily entering into a conversation regarding X thing, just to say that X thing is not worthy of discussion you are making a claim about X thing and therefore discussing X thing. Particularly when it would have been easier, required less energy, and cost less time to not take part in the conversation at all.

Also isn't everything in the thread pretty much "annoying things guitar players do"?
Si
You guys are annoying me. Im going to start a thread about annoying thread contributions.
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by 20Tigers
By voluntarily entering into a conversation regarding X thing, just to say that X thing is not worthy of discussion you are making a claim about X thing and therefore discussing X thing. Particularly when it would have been easier, required less energy, and cost less time to not take part in the conversation at all.

Also isn't everything in the thread pretty much "annoying things guitar players do"?

whoops, well played. too late here to think i guess

regardless, i'll stand by my sentiment that it's an absolutely nonconstructive discussion. if people would spend more time focusing on themselves and less time actively worrying about picking others' playing and habits to pieces and criticizing them, maybe fewer mode threads and similarly exhausted bullshit would be around

it seems very counterproductive to start a "tell people why insignificant minutiae of some guitarists' playing upset you" thread in a forum called "musician talk"
Quote by 91RG350
You guys are annoying me. Im going to start a thread about annoying thread contributions.

That's meta.
Page 1 of 2