Hey guys! Need a little help here! Recently, I picked up a Jet City combo, and while I'm loving the hell out of it, I want an amp for more modern tones as well. Doesn't necessarily have to be the brootz, but just more modern. The Jet City handles all my 70's and 80's, now I want something to take care of my 90's and 00's. I can spend 500 bucks and I prefer tube over solid state. Location is NE Arkansas. Will be playing older Machine Head and thrash/groove heavy rhythms.
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
Do you have any boost or OD pedal?
'cause one in front of the jet city would do iyam.

Though if it doesn't do, get yourself a used 6505 or 6505+ combo.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Though if it doesn't do, get yourself a used 6505 or 6505+ combo.

If he couldn't find the tone he wants with a Jet City then a 6505 won't do either. Both were spawn off the same origin really (Soldano).

But yeah, try throw a tubescreamer up front and tighten it up.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
Last edited by godgrinder at Jul 3, 2014,
Need more info. What modern tone are you looking for? Name at least two bands.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames

Good question.

When you say "modern tone", I immediately think of modern high gain tones -- Peavey 6505+, Mesa Rectos...
But you mentioned it "doesn't necessarily have to be the brootz", so it makes me wonder what do you consider low-to-mid gain modern tones.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by AsOneIStand
Hey guys! Need a little help here! Recently, I picked up a Jet City combo, and while I'm loving the hell out of it, I want an amp for more modern tones as well. Doesn't necessarily have to be the brootz, but just more modern. The Jet City handles all my 70's and 80's, now I want something to take care of my 90's and 00's. I can spend 500 bucks and I prefer tube over solid state. Location is NE Arkansas. Will be playing older Machine Head and thrash/groove heavy rhythms.

Machine head used 5150's on their early albums...which in modern days it translates to a 6505/6505+ Combo.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
I've heard of occurring issues with 6505+ combos. Seems like every week there are a few threads on here that speak of problems with those combos. I did love my 6505+ head when I had it though. How similar are the combo/head in terms of sound? If it came down to it, I would definitely buy the combo version.
6505+ Head
Quote by godgrinder
If he couldn't find the tone he wants with a Jet City then a 6505 won't do either. Both were spawn off the same origin really (Soldano).

But yeah, try throw a tubescreamer up front and tighten it up.

It depends what combo he has. If its 2012 or 5212, then its definetly not a metal machine. If its 2212 or 5012 then it should be capable of br00tz, especially with a boost to tighten things up. But 6505, while based on same circuit, is definetly different sounding amp.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
The one I have is the 20 watt combo. No reverb.
6505+ Head
Quote by AsOneIStand
The one I have is the 20 watt combo. No reverb.

Yeah but is it the single channel (2012) or two channel one (2212)? Former is crunch only, latter has a high gain lead channel.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Two channel. However, I find it does not satisfy modern metal needs. It does alt rock quite well, and 80's metal brilliantly. One thing I've not done yet is play through it with my Goldtop which is in the process of having Black Winters installed. Not sure if high output humbuckers will help or if I should keep the amp for the sound it has (I do love it after all) and buy second amp for modern tones.
6505+ Head
Have you tried boosting it with a tubescreamer pedal? Jet city, while having a lot of gain on tap, is on the looser classy side of things. A TS boost will help to tighten it out.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
A 6505/5150 would be perfect for the tones he wants. That's what Machine Head plays and nearly every modern metal band has at least used one at one point or another, whether live or in the studio.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by AsOneIStand
I've heard of occurring issues with 6505+ combos. Seems like every week there are a few threads on here that speak of problems with those combos. I did love my 6505+ head when I had it though. How similar are the combo/head in terms of sound? If it came down to it, I would definitely buy the combo version.

Its a bit different, but the controls, the layout and the sound is somewhat similar. The head version through has more headroom than the combo. I would upgrade the speaker though if you're good with electronics.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
And perhaps a tube upgrade? I plan on putting V30 in place of speaker if I get it. Also, I've attempted to put TS in front of Jet City and while it does help out some, it is still not where I want it.
6505+ Head
Quote by godgrinder

the jet city he has is the lower gain, single channel jet city
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This one has two channels. Crunch and Overdrive.
6505+ Head
damn jet city to hell for its arcane model numbering system.

a 6505 might get you there. i haven't tried one head to head with a jet city. my 50 watt jet city gets heavy enough for me with a boost (even without one if i crank the gain), but obviously I might not be playing the same stuff as you.

i guess, i'd want to try a 6505 first if i were you, just in case it doesn't do what you want, either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 3, 2014,
Quote by AsOneIStand
And perhaps a tube upgrade? I plan on putting V30 in place of speaker if I get it. Also, I've attempted to put TS in front of Jet City and while it does help out some, it is still not where I want it.

Then 6505 (or bugera 6260 if you are feeling lucky), head or combo, is where you must go if Machine Head tone you are after because thats what they were using. I cant say anything about possible problems with the combo, never heard about that. :/

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jul 3, 2014,
Well I mainly got rid of the 6505+ head due to the fact that I wanted to go strictly combo from there on out. So for my first combo, I bought my Jet City. Again, fantastic amp, and I'm keeping it. However, it appears I will be something of an amp collector. So long as the 6505+ combo is somewhat similar to that crunchy beefy tone of the 5150, I'll be fine. I just won't go head/cab anymore. Too much hassle for the simple fact that I play at home.
6505+ Head
Quote by AsOneIStand

I wouldn't worry about it. Part of the reason you see so many threads on them is that so damn many people own them.

Mine has been working flawlessly for 3+ straight years now. I've had to replace a few tubes here and there, but that's just part of owning a tube amp (and it's really fun to play around with different tubes).
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by lemurflames

This pls ^^?? Or are you actually talking about Machine Head & Friends when you say 'modern'?
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
Thinking old school Machine Head. Some thick chunk with a decent high end. Maybe some Trivium and In Flames. I'd like to be able to do thrash fairly well. for the most part.
6505+ Head
Cool. You've just named 3 x 6505 artists iirc.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A