A few days ago I restrung my crappy acoustic to take down to scout camp with me. The hardware is all kinda loose but I don't believe that has anything to do with my question. My B string kept falling flat and I noticed that it was kinda "slipping" back out of the knot that I strung it with. Eventually after re-tuning it multiple times it made a snapping noise and dropped pitch a few half steps. I then proceeded to say "**** it," because it was my crappy guitar, and took a pair of pliers and pulled on the string from where I cut it. When I pulled it tight, I had about an extra centimeter of string sticking out. It hasn't dropped pitch yet. I was wondering if this is something other people do, or if i'm just too much of a bitch when I restring it and I just need to pull it tighter. Also, shortly after I restrung my crappy one I restrung my nice acoustic too. It didn't have that problem and it stays in tune fine, but I can see little loops on the tuning knobs that I could tighten.
Sounds like you are using nylon strings? Yeah, the knot may have just not been tight. On my steel string electrics I always stretch the strings. Adds tuning stability in the first few hours of playing.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I use some semi-coated elixers and the string slipped on the tuning peg. Still nothing bad has happened, if that helps. Sorry for the slow reply!
If it's a steel string with bridge pins, the string ball windings probably got stuck on the pin, or the ball got stuck on the end of the pin. It happens to me often enough, the fix is either cut deeper grooves in the pins, or file a slant on their ends. Or buy new ones, in which case I always file the end to a slant anyway.
I'll look into that, but I'm still wondering if it's safe to pull the strings tight on the tuning pegs after restringing. I don't think that anything bad could come from it, but I just wanted some assurance.
Quote by jonmarple
I'll look into that, but I'm still wondering if it's safe to pull the strings tight on the tuning pegs after restringing. I don't think that anything bad could come from it, but I just wanted some assurance.

I always give my strings a good hard pull as part of the normal tuning process. It is a widely recommended technique, and I've never heard of anyone doing any damage that way