I want to do some covers of Mastodon. Do you think it would work to put like top heavy strings on up to 52 gauge and switch between the d standard and d standard with a like in Iron tusk and others.
Raconteurs Fan Guy
It could, but ideally I would suggest having 2 guitars for it. A 52 is gonna be kinda light for A (I use a 64 for A on my 7).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The bulk of their songs are in d standard with the exception of a couple songs in drop b. I would just put a set of 11s on and tune to d standard, this should get you through most of their catalog. Or ideally, do what ^ he suggested and have two guitars ready to go.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Give the dunlop Zakk Wylde 10-60 set a try. The 60 6th string is a good compromise for going between D and low A.

FYI going between two notes so far apart may cause intonation issues when you change tuning.
I use 12-56 for d standard on my ec-1000.just got into this band and learned oblivion and divinations
Guitars:
Esp Ec-1000 VB with Emg 81/60
Esp ec-1000 Snow White with SD Jb/Jazz
Esp ltd f-50
Amp:
Randall rd-20h
Randall rd112-v30
Pedals:
Digitech rp-1000
Not necessarily. Truss rod adjustments have more to do with tension than anything else.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I use a Skinny Top Heavy bottom 10-56 set on my IC300 for D standard, Drop C and Drop A and it works out just fine. The A gets a little flubby but nothing Bill's sig set can't handle.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
So could I put ^these on without a ton of adjusting. It seems like when I mess with the bridge on my Ibanez it just gets worse. Thanks for the responses
Raconteurs Fan Guy