So I am getting a little bit tired of hauling my 150W Randall head with 412 cab to every show and being able to set the volume knob to max 3-4 in order to not be too loud. I have been wondering - what set would be enough for say, small-to-medium club playing.
For example, would I be able to get by just fine with a Mini Terror and a 212 cab?

EDIT: I am talking of course about playing straight out from my rig, without going to the PA.
Last edited by Darth Crow at Jul 3, 2014,
If your sound techs know their stuff, you could play a damn Royal Albert Hall gig with a micro cube. The Mini Terror will most likely be loud enough for anything, if you know how to use a mic. And on it's own, yes, I guess it could do clubs well enough.

Quote by Darth Crow

EDIT: I am talking of course about playing straight out from my rig, without going to the PA.

I see no reason why you shouldn't use a PA system.
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Jul 3, 2014,
It actually depends more on what you play. If power amp breakup for gritty cleans is desired you can get by with a lot less headroom. If you are playing metal, you may prefer more headroom. We would need a budget, location, styles of music you play etcetera to give you more information
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by guitar/bass95

I see no reason why you shouldn't use a PA system.

Simply because our own PA is not too good (we use in only for vocals) and most clubs here in Slovakia sadly don't have their own PA.

It actually depends more on what you play. If power amp breakup for gritty cleans is desired you can get by with a lot less headroom. If you are playing metal, you may prefer more headroom. We would need a budget, location, styles of music you play etcetera to give you more information

As for this, I don't really need advice on WHICH rig to buy, only what would be enough power-wise. But to answer anyway - we play mostly melodic/classic rock (think something between Def Leppard and Bon Jovi with some blues mixed in ), but occasionaly we do some heavier tracks. As for my desired sound... I'd probably say that it's somewhere along what Alex Lifeson has, with a little more hi-gain. As for budget, the best I can do in near future is 500-600 €.
At the moment I get most of my sound out of my POD HD500 (with which I am very content) so that massive rig is more or less just a nuissance
Last edited by Darth Crow at Jul 3, 2014,
Ok, that makes sense. If you don't need pristine, glassy clean tones you'll have a lot of options, since you won't need the extra headroom that much. For classic rock, have you considered using pedals? Something like a Fender blues junior or an used Vox AC with an OD pedal could be a more portable option while still remaining plenty loud. But they don't have the high-gain tones, but that can be fixed with pedals.

EDIT: you could also look into Marshall DSL combos. That might be right up your alley.
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Jul 3, 2014,
If you like the Pod, you can always get a powered speaker to run it through.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
I'd run the Pod straight into the PA and be done with it. It might not be the best from what you say, but assuming it does produce decent sound quality, you'll be just fine.

Maybe spend the 500-600 euros toward a better PA system, if you don't have problems with putting money into equipment that's essentially for the band (and not only for yourself) and might get damaged out of your control.
Quote by Darth Crow
Simply because our own PA is not too good (we use in only for vocals) and most clubs here in Slovakia sadly don't have their own PA.

At the moment I get most of my sound out of my POD HD500 (with which I am very content) so that massive rig is more or less just a nuissance

We're finding the same thing here in Los Angeles, except that here most of the clubs have their own PA.

It might just be worth beefing up your PA and leaving the rig at home.