Hi!

I play in a punk band and we have some ska songs.
ATM I own a JCM800 and a valveking, but only 1 cab (a harley benton g212v with v30's).
So I'm going to buy a new cab that I'd use for my valveking, and I only use the clean channel on the VK.

The cab I want MUST be a 2x12, but I don't know what speakers are good for a warm ska/reggae-ish tone.

Budget: around $300, I don't need the best, I could definitely buy another Harley Benton cab and replace the speakers, that being said if it's a good idea.

Also, what are some good ABY pedals?

Thanks!
I thought the HB cabs were supposed to have good speakers in it already. I would just go with another one of them, supposed to be great value
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
I thought the HB cabs were supposed to have good speakers in it already. I would just go with another one of them, supposed to be great value

Yeah the Harley Benton is great, but I don't know about v30's for warm & smooth reggae/ska tones, I mean, the v30's are pretty sharp (please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have a lot of experience with different speakers).
Wow, this is getting to be quite the involved live rig.
V30s are pretty forward sounding but can do a nice job with clean tones if you set your amp carefully. Eminence 1258 will be more Fender-sounding which is Ska approved tone.

Or you could scale this all back and just use one amp set up for clean with a quality OD pedal for dirt. Nearly the same tones available without all the moving, storage and setup issues.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Yeah, it would be hard to beat a used fender and a nice overdrive or two for those tones. A lot easier on you back as well
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Thanks for your concern about my back, but I'm 16 years old, play in a punk band that doesn't play gigs very often (less than once a month), so my back will probably be alright for atleast a couple of years forward.

I have definitely considered getting the distortion from a pedal, but I can't find a pedal that I feel will make me as happy as my JCM800 does.

I think I'll buy another Harley Benton cab nonetheless, since I might be happy with the v30's, and if not I can try to replace them with something else.
Quote by Cajundaddy
Eminence 1258 will be more Fender-sounding which is Ska approved tone.

yeah.

i'd maybe rather have an open-backed cab for that, too. the vht open-backed 2x12 is pretty cheap on thomann. EDIT: cack, not any more it's not it's double what it used to be.

the jet city cab I got from them is convertible-backed- that might be the cheapest way to get an open-backed one (though check with thomann to make sure it's convertible). two eminence legend 1258s would be the way to go on the cheap, at least. they're a fair bit cheaper than most other speakers. though they're pretty bright and sparkly, not sure I'd call them warm. A pair of GB128s might work if they're too bright (they're sort of like slightly cleaner and slightly more modern-sounding greenbacks, really).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah.

i'd maybe rather have an open-backed cab for that, too. the vht open-backed 2x12 is pretty cheap on thomann. EDIT: cack, not any more it's not it's double what it used to be.

the jet city cab I got from them is convertible-backed- that might be the cheapest way to get an open-backed one (though check with thomann to make sure it's convertible). two eminence legend 1258s would be the way to go on the cheap, at least. they're a fair bit cheaper than most other speakers. though they're pretty bright and sparkly, not sure I'd call them warm. A pair of GB128s might work if they're too bright (they're sort of like slightly cleaner and slightly more modern-sounding greenbacks, really).

Yeah, an open-backed cabinet does sound like a good idea.

But then again I'm thinking it doesn't matter that much, since I'm not after a the ultimate clean tone, I'm more after something that allows me to play nice sounding ska. So with that being said, I think the HB cab would work for me.
I like V30's more for cleans than for driven tones, to be honest, unless we're talking heavy metal. They just sit really well in the mix and you can EQ them pretty well to round them out a bit.
My V30s worked fine for ska but I'd recommend a decent used Marshall 2x12. I know Aaron Barrett just uses the JCM900 head and cab. Not sure about like Tomas Kalnoky or the Less Than Jake or Goldfinger guys.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by juliusxxrock

The issue with an open-backed cabinet is that it only sounds good to the guitarist On The Stage. Your audience doesn't get any of the open-back goodness.
Quote by I K0nijn I
I like V30's more for cleans than for driven tones, to be honest, unless we're talking heavy metal. They just sit really well in the mix and you can EQ them pretty well to round them out a bit.

The trick is to find some well broken-in V30's. New ones have a sort of a brash upper mids peak that can sound a bit brittle. That goes away after playing them for a while. Avatar sells "Hellatone 60's" that are nothing more than re-stickered V30's that have been "broken in" according to their own process. You might ask them.
Quote by juliusxxrock
Thanks for your concern about my back, but I'm 16 years old, play in a punk band that doesn't play gigs very often (less than once a month), so my back will probably be alright for atleast a couple of years forward.

I have definitely considered getting the distortion from a pedal, but I can't find a pedal that I feel will make me as happy as my JCM800 does.

I think I'll buy another Harley Benton cab nonetheless, since I might be happy with the v30's, and if not I can try to replace them with something else.

16yrs old... Gotcha! I remember gigging at 16. You should have seen the sheer tonnage of gear we used to drag around. And then we figured it out.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah.

Do you mean this one?:
http://www.thomann.de/se/vht_special_speakercabav_sp_212vht.htm

Because this one is cheap
^ Yeah but it used to be £100 IIRC... now it's £160.

Quote by juliusxxrock

But then again I'm thinking it doesn't matter that much, since I'm not after a the ultimate clean tone, I'm more after something that allows me to play nice sounding ska. So with that being said, I think the HB cab would work for me.

yeah i mean it's totally up to you. just because i like open-backed for cleans doesn't mean you will.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ Yeah but it used to be £100 IIRC... now it's £160.

yeah i mean it's totally up to you. just because i like open-backed for cleans doesn't mean you will.

Yeah..

Well I think I'm going with the Harley Benton cab because some of my favorite ska guitarists use v30's, so I can't go too wrong..

Thanks guys!
yeah if you know they use v30s and like them then that's probably the safe way to go. plus the hb cab is ridiculous value- even if you don't like the v30s you can swap them out and sell them and not be too far behind.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?