Hi all!

Just had this quick question: I've been told that, when you have Floyd Rose bridges or any similar floating tremolo bridge, you can't really change the string gauges since they will require different amounts of tension, which will mess with the bridge unless you perform a correct setup for those particular gauges.
I have one guitar with a Floyd Rose bridge and another with the fixed standard bridge. I wanted to change the string gauges on the fixed bridge one, in order to handle some lower tunings. Are there any concerns in switching string gauges in fixed bridge guitars, like there is with tremolo bridges? Do I also need to re-setup it after changing?

That is all. Thanks (:
There might be some issues I guess, but nothing as radical as in a floyd rose. I'd probably change the strings without hesitation and worry later, but I'm not the most carefule person out there so you might not want to listen to me
You should reset it up, adjusting intonation especially
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
You should reset it up, adjusting intonation especially

Alright. I was hoping it wouldn't carry any issues at all, haha. But I'll be careful with it then.

Thanks a lot (:
not as much as with a floyd, anyway. you don't have to balance it or any guff like that.

but yeah as people have been saying, it wouldn't hurt to check the intonation is ok, it also wouldn't hurt to check the truss rod is ok too (though really as long as it still feels ok to play it probably is, if it needs to be tweaked a fair bit that'd be noticeable when trying to play since the action would either be way to high or you'd be getting lots of fret buzz).

if you change to a much thicker string gauge you also might need to check the nut is ok.

if that sounds like i'm amazing at setups I'm not, I'm hopeless at it, that's all theoretical knowledge
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well really its stuff you should check anyway every string change IMO. But its all personal preference I suppose but intonation is especially important and may be all you choose to worry about
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
yeah

i'm a chancer/incompetent, though
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I usually don't mess with anything unless I feel something is off. That said, I check intonation EVERY time I change strings even though they are to the same strings.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
I usually don't mess with anything unless I feel something is off. That said, I check intonation EVERY time I change strings even though they are to the same strings.

I mainly use my Floyd Rose guitar, so I change strings a lot more often in this one. I tend to realize that intonation gets worse the more the strings start to get worn out (especially the high E string). Weirdly enough (at least for me, haha), the problem goes away with new strings. And since I always use the same gauge strings in this guitar, the only thing I sometimes need to adjust is the bridge position (which sometimes doesn't stay quite parallel to the body. But it's always a very small divergence anyway).

With the fixed bridge one, I had the same issue when the strings started to get worn out, but once again a set of brand new strings always seemed to fix it.

Gotta confess it always boggled me why changing the strings seems to work. The gauge always the same as before. I never touch the saddles. I'm by no means an expert in this sort of things, maybe it has a logical explanation that I haven't quite figured out yet
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah

i'm a chancer/incompetent, though

Drives on bald tires.
Drinks milk *from* the bottle after its expiration date.
Clips that federally mandated tag from mattresses.
Leaps before he looks.
Now understands why you don't date girls with suspiciously large Adam's apples.

i'm actually super-cautious about all that stuff
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jose.pedro.5667
I mainly use my Floyd Rose guitar, so I change strings a lot more often in this one. I tend to realize that intonation gets worse the more the strings start to get worn out (especially the high E string). Weirdly enough (at least for me, haha), the problem goes away with new strings. And since I always use the same gauge strings in this guitar, the only thing I sometimes need to adjust is the bridge position (which sometimes doesn't stay quite parallel to the body. But it's always a very small divergence anyway).

With the fixed bridge one, I had the same issue when the strings started to get worn out, but once again a set of brand new strings always seemed to fix it.

Gotta confess it always boggled me why changing the strings seems to work. The gauge always the same as before. I never touch the saddles. I'm by no means an expert in this sort of things, maybe it has a logical explanation that I haven't quite figured out yet

Old string = Wears out on string = Uneven mass and tension through out the entire string = Intonation off
Do you feel like I do!?